Thread: Making it quiet

User Info Menu

Default Making it quiet

Hey everybody,

I was wondering, how can I soak up some of the sound of my drums to annoy my neighbors less? I don't want to completely soundproof my room though and I want to do it for cheap.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Making it quiet

Get those rings that go around the drum heads. Stuff some pillows in the bass drum. Don't hit like you want to break everything in half (I'm not saying you do).
    Matt

User Info Menu

Invest in a set of sound-off practice pads. They are rubber pads that come in drum sizes that sit on the head and cut the sound by way over half. You can also get them for cymbals.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I'm looking for stuff that will absorb the sound, Like things to put infront of my windows that will stop the sound from going outside.

I've tried some of those mute (sound-off) pads at guitar center. They make your stick rebound crappy, and change the overal feel and tone.

User Info Menu

Well, there's not a heck of a lot that you can do short of muting the drums, Yes, the sound off drum pads change the feel and attack of the drums...that's what happens whenh you mute the heads like that. On the other hand, you get a terrific hand work out on the kit which does more to strengthen than anything else. When you can "Open" up tthe sound of your kit...enjoy it. When you have the pads on, it's a great time to work on technique, timing and coordination.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Build up panels from ply wood and slap some cork or shaped foam or thick carpet on the face of them. I'm gonna be doing this with a friend's two car garage door just to dampen the sound a bit.
    Those muting pads annoy me to the point where I won't play.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

roofing felt ....................
    One of the best soundproofing agents on the market today is mass loaded vinyl, it's a high grade vinyl material that is impregnated with barium salts and silica to give it the same soundproofing properties as lead sheeting without the hazards associated with lead. Now MLV can cost from $1.25 to $2.00 per sq ft .......................

So now enters the rolled roofing material.you stretch the rolled roofing material across the studs or the joists if you are soundproofing your ceiling. You will staple or nail the rolled roofing directly to the stud structure like a membrane across the face of the studs. The next section of rolled roofing should overlap the first piece by at least 1”. It is essential to caulk the over lap with caulking.

Once you have the rolled roofing in place and you have caulked the 1” over lap, you will also need to caulk around the entire perimeter of the newly installed rolled roofing membrane. use as much caulk as you need to seal every seam gap or crack in your soundproof membrane. You want this roofing material to be as sealed and air tight as possible. Now seeing as the rolled roofing does not have the same soundproofing horsepower as MLV, you need to add a second layer of the rolled roofing to each wall and to the ceiling area that you that you are soundproofing. Stagger the seams wherever possible

otherwise the only way to soundproof a room is to build a room within a room where the
    interior room walls are totally isolated form the exterior walls.

User Info Menu

Hopfully soon after i finish my cymbal set up i will be making a sound proof room with some recording stuff. So i will be able to practice in there. But i don't think you want to go to that length haha.
    Our weapons were our instruments
    Made from timber and steel
    We never yielded to conformity
    But stood like kings
    In a chariot that's riding on a
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

You could also hang curtains around all 4 walls from floor to ceiling and keep it bunched up , just like its done on the movie theatre walls .

User Info Menu

Along with every other suggestion, try playing softer and more quietly. It will make your neighbors happy and will help you learn control and technique.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I heard that a piece of sheet foam cut to fit the window would help a lot.

Does anyone know anything about that?