Thread: First Jam

User Info Menu

Default First Jam

Hi guys,

Well, I got a call from an old friend asking me if I'd like to come and drum for the Reggae band he was forming.

Now, I've only started playing drums in March so it's been a few weeks, but he was fine with that. So I said sure why not, and we booked the rehearsal studio.

Well I just got home from my first ever jam session and I gotta say, that was one of the greatest experiences of my life!!! It's the first time I've ever played with other musicians and it was a real rush. Being so new to drumming I was a little worried I'd make a fool of myself, but turns out I was worried for nothing, I kept up just fine =)

I think the best bit was the compliments I received from my new band mates. They flat out refused to believe I was new to drumming. The singer/guitarist even told me that he thought I had real talent and flair behind the kit . Not bad for 5 or 6 weeks , guess the hours I've put in ever day have already started paying off .

I hope that last part didn't make me sound conceited =)
    Last edited by drummer; 04-24-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Watch the language please
    Drums & Hardware
    Mapex Q Series Fusion 5pce / PDP SX 13x5" Acylic Snare / Coated EC2, Genera Dry, EMAD2 / Gibraltar 6607 Hi Hat Stand / Pearl P120 Pedal / Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal / Mapex B323A Cymbal Stands.
    Cymbals
    Stagg Myra 20" Crash (Ride) / Sabian B8 18" Med Crash / Meinl HCS 16" Crash / 10" Stagg Myra Splash / 14" Zildjian A Custom Hi Hat.
    Other
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks / Korg Beatlab Metronome / HQ Soundoff Mutes / Gator Bags (Drum & Hardware) / Rockbag Bag (Cymbals & Sticks)

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Jam

Gratz!, I dig Reggae too. Now you're hooked, you'll want to jam with others all the time cause it's too much fun. What makes it even better is that is motivation for you to keep pushing yourself to learn new things to add to the sound of the band.

User Info Menu

Toot that horn! Don't worry about sounding narcissistic because you didn't, everyone likes a compliment and I'm glad you're picking up drumming so easily. Some people have just got that natural rhythm.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

alright brother! good to hear those positive vibes from a new drummer!

User Info Menu

Jydg, man is that a great feeling or what. I'm right there with you, I'd only been playing for a few weeks when I started playing for our church. All I could do is keep a basic beat but the more you play with a "band" or jam with friends the better it will make you cause it'll push you to learn new stuff and sometimes I find myself pulling stuff off with the group that I can nerver pull off when I'm by myself. Keep it up brotha it only gets better. And you don't sound like your tootin your own horn at all. When someone compliments you like that it's something to be proud of.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    ...I find myself pulling stuff off with the group that I can nerver pull off when I'm by myself...
    YES!!

I don't know if its me feeding of the vibe of the other musicains or what but last night I kept doing things on the kit that I had no idea I was capable of.

I'd throw a small roll or little fill in on instinct alone and think to my self "HOLY COW! where the hell did that come from, I've never done that before".

I must have looked a sight there behind the kit with a pleasantly stunned look on my face trying to work out how I'd done, what I just did.
    Last edited by Jaksar; 04-23-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    Drums & Hardware
    Mapex Q Series Fusion 5pce / PDP SX 13x5" Acylic Snare / Coated EC2, Genera Dry, EMAD2 / Gibraltar 6607 Hi Hat Stand / Pearl P120 Pedal / Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal / Mapex B323A Cymbal Stands.
    Cymbals
    Stagg Myra 20" Crash (Ride) / Sabian B8 18" Med Crash / Meinl HCS 16" Crash / 10" Stagg Myra Splash / 14" Zildjian A Custom Hi Hat.
    Other
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks / Korg Beatlab Metronome / HQ Soundoff Mutes / Gator Bags (Drum & Hardware) / Rockbag Bag (Cymbals & Sticks)

User Info Menu

Congrats Jaksar! I remember my first time jamming, and it is something you'll never forget. When you play to what others are doing, it is very inspiring. I wish I could just do it more and more.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congratulations Jaksar! I also find that when I jam with other people it increases my skill and my improvisation skills lol.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaksar View Post
    YES!!

I don't know if its me feeding of the vibe of the other musicains or what but last night I kept doing things on the kit that I had no idea I was capable of.

I'd throw a small roll or little fill in on instinct alone and think to my self "HOLY COW! where the hell did that come from, I've never done that before".

I must have looked a sight there behind the kit with a pleasantly stunned look on my face trying to work out how I'd done, what I just did.
    Dude thats hilarious...
    Last Sunday when we were playing for our church worship service, we were playing a song called "Salt and Light" (great song btw) and it's pretty fast. We've played it like a thousand times and it's pretty much just a standard 4/4 rock beat at about 130bpm. I usually throw a 2 beat fill in about every 8 bars well, we were at a part where the song was building and all of a sudden, I came in with the fill a bar earlier than I usually do and I did a really sweet fill that took up 2 bars and is something that I've never played or practiced before. The whole worship team looked at me with this "Where in the world did that come from?" look on their faces and I appearantly had the same look on my face cause we laughed about it for like 10 minutes after church. But what a great feeling it was.

If you ever get a chanced to jam again, do it as much as possible.

I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post

If you ever get a chanced to jam again, do it as much as possible.
    Definately, the first thing we did after finishing our session was book the next one.

In fact the Sax player called a little while ago to tell me that he as booked a gig for us !!

I must say this is all moving very quickly, but I'm up to the challenge. Now if you'll all excuse me I have to go have a quick nervous breakdown then practice..... alot
    Drums & Hardware
    Cymbals
    Other

User Info Menu

Jaksar I know exactly how you feel man. I've been playing a year and a half and what I've found is there's nothing better to get your confidence up and build skill than play with others (I thought this was just me at first but this board helped me realize that wasn't the case). Even though my band still hasn't played our first show (that will be next month), just playing together is way more than sufficient. It seems that music overcomes you and allows you to do things you didn't know you could do more so with others than with yourself.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Cool Re: First Jam

play any and every chance ya get while da magic strikes ya...
    ya got plenty of time to slow down later....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I just love reading enthusiasm for music like this!

You have been bitten by the band bug and its such a rush.... there is something about a band that just makes you sound better as well (this is not to take anything away from your talent at all). It goes for any instrument - when you piece it all together its just a thing of beauty.

Keep us posted on your progress and experiences. If you get a chance, record a jam session and throw a video up here or link it to youtube.

Good job bud.... keep making music.

BTW (and I don't want this to come across as a sales pitch) - but if you are relatively new to drumming or even an advanced player and looking for new ideas or to broaden your skills I highly recommend these online LIVE lessons: www.mikeslessons.com. I have been supplementing with these online lessons and I have to say its the BEST $20 a month that I spend - drum related. I am talking about completely live lessons from Mike Johnston (check him out on youtube... quite possibly a top 20 drummer in the world) with PDF's and MP3's of each lesson as well as live chat question/answer session at the end of each lesson. They are 3 times a week (beginner day, intermediate day and advanced day) and 3 times per day so you can live anywhere in the world and catch it at a convenient time. And, they are archived for 2 weeks so you can go back and re-watch if you missed it. I really encourage ANY drummer of ANY level to check it out.... once again its: www.mikeslessons.com.
    Last edited by Sopranos; 04-25-2009 at 03:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Jaksar! Its always a different experience playing with people who haven't jammed with before, or in your case, playing with other musicians for the first time. Best thing I ever did though.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Hi people,

I just got a recording of a few minutes of my first jam!!!

I've created a dummy myspace profile to host it, please have a listen.

Bare in mind this is just random jamming, not an actual song and the quality is pretty low since it was recorded on a single room mic. None of us had ever played together before so we just kinda did what ever came to us.

let me know what you think of my drumming, your feedback would be greatly appreciated but be gentle, I've only been playing for a couple of weeks lol

http://www.myspace.com/justinfarnow

BTW my name's not Justin, its Dan =)
    Last edited by Jaksar; 04-27-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Drums & Hardware
    Cymbals
    Other

User Info Menu

No one has any tips or feedback for me?

C'mon, help me out! Lay some drumming wisdom on me
    Drums & Hardware
    Cymbals
    Other

User Info Menu

Enjoy what you are doing and always remember how it is that you first began. Playing with other musicians is always fun and is a terrific way for self improvement. But, strict attention to the details of music must be adhered to: Intonation, Articulation, Phrasing, Timing. Each of you need to listen to one another and get to know what each will do at any given time as a player. With my band, I know our soloists and their individual styles...helps me to fashion my playing so that I both support and compliment their efforts. It's a tall order and there is no better place that the begining. Keep it up!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

thats quality mate, i remember when i first played in a band it was rediculously good, spine tingling and still is with the right gig lol. play as much music as u can
    i've played in bands with so many styles
    punk, indie, metal, reggae, rap, funk, pop, blues, easy listening, everything just to kind of get more exp and it's all worth it.
    Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

User Info Menu

Jaksar,
    Sounds cool bud but if you guys are gonna gig you definately need to play together more and get everyones timing right.

Zildjian League