Thread: Need help choosing heads and upgrading set...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Question Need help choosing heads and upgrading set...

Alright lets start off with what I own...
    I have a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage set with Zildjian ZBT cymbals. (20" ride, 16" crash, and 14" hi-hat)

I haven't replaced the heads since i got the set maybe around 2 years ago. I really think its time to deffinately replace these heads and I am edging toward a rock sound. I was wondering which heads I should buy. I like the more dead sound rather than a crappy overtone and twangy noise. I was thinking either Remo's coated powerstroke 3 or coated power stroke 4 for the toms. Remo powerstroke 3 or 4 for the bass drum. Also coated 3 or 4's for the snare drum. Thats basically what I want on the top but what should I buy for the bottom and are these heads that I have chosen good and will they give me my sound that I want.

Also maybe some new cymbals. If anyone can come up with some new cymbals (rock) that I could buy (for a cheaper price) then let me know.

If theres anything else I could do to my let me know.

User Info Menu

Your Powerstroke options are a good choice. They'll cut out some excess overtone that you don't want. You'll really have to try them out to know how they're going to respond to your kit. I would go with Remo clear Ambassadors for the bottom. You don't want to completely kill overtone because you'll risk your toms sounding boxy.

As for cymbals, you're going to have to spend some money to get quality sound. There's no way around it.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

he's right...i use the aquarian version of those remo heads and same goes for the bottom heads...either brand is great...and even used quality cymbals are expensive

User Info Menu

I love the sound of my remo pinstripes.

User Info Menu

I used Pinstripes in the early days. Sometimes they just have too much attack or snap for my taste. I actually like Emporers a lot. Same body but not as clicky.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

I suggest the Evans Ec2 series for your toms and Evans EMAD for your bass drum.
    Last edited by lhebs0; 05-17-2006 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    I suggest the Evans Ec2 series for your toms and Evans EMAD for your bass drum.
    That EMAD is the bomb!!! But I think that to find what you really like is through trial and error.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Your best bet is if you know an experienced drummer in your town who has tried almost every head imaginable is to ask him.