Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny Drumline Stories?

User Info Menu

haha at one of our last home games we were on the field and we were about to start the third song and the drum major starts moving his hands like he's starting the song so after he I see this I start playing...and I play for about two measures and I realize nobody else is playing and I immediately stop...it turns out he was just "finding the tempo" as he put it.......
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

This past year at one of our biggest games, we were running onto the field for pre-game and you know those orange goal marker things, yeah, we are told before we go on where the markers are, well, a snare drummer, not a small one, tripped on it and caused a chain reaction, all and all, four or five of the guys fell...it was very funny...they all had dirt and mud all over them...
    Takin Charge of the Guys...I love it!

Seniors Class of 2007

User Info Menu

well... in our winter pit there is only seniors and freshman, and only 1 of them is a concert percussionist. we have just had 3 snowdays in a row, we have had 1 per year for the past 4-5 years. our show totally sucks, but one of our lead designers is tim fairbanks, who designs rhythmx's show, which is totally awesome!

User Info Menu

haha

User Info Menu

Lol in my school we were playin in the bleachers and our tuba fell from the the top to the bottom we made sure he was ok and then the crowd started laughing

User Info Menu

Default Re: Funny Drumline Stories?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMPANIST09 View Post
    ive got one i was moving the pit stuff down to a warm up area and we had to go over a speed bump and i said to one of the kids in my section scott watch out speed bump ahead so what does he do he trys to avoid it and the next thing you hear is tou *** i drop my timpani and rush back to see what happened and he found th espeed bump the hard way his drums fell right on their side and me half the pit crew and the rest of my section help pick it up and went on to the warm up spot this was in pocoono moutain east for a comption we placed 7th out of 8 our score 80.2 wnd that was our last competion for the year
    you got 7th out of 8 with an 80.2? What did the band in 1st place get?
    my band got 2nd place at BOA Reigonals woo!

User Info Menu

back in 1994 I ran over a field judge!!

...true story...
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

well about 2 years back i was playing with my school's dline and i was playing snare that time. anyway, we start our routine and about halfway through, our crash cymbal player loses the beat and starts making the cymbals noises with his mouth by shouting them.
    but we got 2nd place. :D
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Funny Drumline Stories?

well our school was hosting an FBA competion and the drumline decided that it was best if none of us helped so most of the percussion was either hiding in the stands or sleeping inside closed tenor cases in the percussion room until Mr.fielder(band director) caught everyone.

good times.... good times....

User Info Menu

my freshman year we were doin a parade and our 1st bass who is a short little girl couldnt see over her drum at all. During the parade she plowed into a little old lady and knocked them both over. it was a massive break of attention

User Info Menu

We'll we play for our home games, And we do one song when the opposing team gets the ball. Now, our football team isn't that great, So we play the same song over and over and over and over again. So it got to the point that the whole band would yell the song name out and what ending to take at the perfect time!

User Info Menu

1962...my first halftime show. I did an about face turn in the wrong direction. Realizing my mistake, I continued my lone march to the end zone, did an about face and marched 100 yards back to the band playing a street beat. I got a round of appluase from the crowd and band.

1964...Senior year. Halftime on the field, I looked up into the lights and saw an object coming down towards me. An egg. Splat! All over my snare drum. All Hell broke loose...game was with crosstown rival. Never did finish the show that night.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    1962...my first halftime show. I did an about face turn in the wrong direction. Realizing my mistake, I continued my lone march to the end zone, did an about face and marched 100 yards back to the band playing a street beat. I got a round of appluase from the crowd and band.

1964...Senior year. Halftime on the field, I looked up into the lights and saw an object coming down towards me. An egg. Splat! All over my snare drum. All Hell broke loose...game was with crosstown rival. Never did finish the show that night.
    Man that's funny! Why did you keep marching?? And some one was throwing money and candy at me one game, I was just play my quads and all the sudden BAM! A penny on my drum!

User Info Menu

LOL, not so much drumline but marching band drum section in high school. We had a decent line, about 12 of us {large for our school then}. We had to exit the field over the football player's benches. Our bass drummer, big guy, was getting ready to step over the bench when {never figured out where the hell the thing came from} some dog came out on the field and tripped him a** over teakettle over the bench. The dude actually rolled around his drum twice before he stopped. Never forgot that, he wasn't hurt, btw, just very embarrassed.

The other sort of, was when we were pep-rallying at basketball game. About 9 of us showed, with a smattering of instrumental members. Game was going so bad, on my cue, we all threw our sticks onto the court when OUR own team was free-throwing. I really got it, but didn't care, I was All-state then so they couldn't do anything or they'd lose the State Band Competition. Gotta love power!!!!!!!!!

Third was at WMU {Kalamazoo MI}, a football game when we were winning {Go Bronco's}. We grabbed all our cheerleaders and carried them off the field in the middle of their cheer. I got fired, LOL.
    Last edited by Tam; 12-24-2008 at 04:47 PM.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

User Info Menu

HaHa...wonderful stories and memories.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

heheheh....I remember one of my stories from last year. We have a huge christmas parade where we march every year for 4 miles. So, I was marching snare (7th grade year) and one of our basses tripped over a reflector in the road, (stupid trmpet making us walk on them! -.-''), and crashed into me, I then crashed into tenor, who hit other snares. In short drums were fine, we were too, but......we get yelled at if we even get CLOSE to a reflector anymore =D
    Ðrúmmêrš ârê thê ëñèrgy ïñ å bäñd - Bruce Pearson

User Info Menu

When my school's band went up to Ft. Hays for contest, we had to get into our uniforms on board the bus because we were going to be there just in time to warm up a little bit and we were going to be the first band to perform, so as we are putting our uniforms on over our school clothes, the drum section leader decides to put a large sticky pad she found somewhere onto a trumpet player's butt, she manages to without him noticing, we warmed up, got into our block formation, and then marched out onto the field and went through our sets. He went through the whole thing completely oblivious to the fact that he had a white pad on his rear. Our cadence went over very well by the way :D, well anyways, afterwards, the trumpet player was extremely peeved at the fact that he didn't know, but the crowd was only sitting on the northern side of the football stands, so they probably didn't see it.

User Info Menu

rofl julian..nice!
    Ðrúmmêrš ârê thê ëñèrgy ïñ å bäñd - Bruce Pearson

User Info Menu

My instructor, Joe, calls our first bassist, Mashayla, and pretends to be an old member of the line. The kid he pretends to be smells worse than a sewer and looks like a chipmunk. Not to mention he is one of the worst players I have ever seen. But anyways, he asks her out on rollerblading dates. She knows it's him, but goes along anyways. I guess it's one of those "had to be there" moments. =]

User Info Menu

Our cadence series is Apewolf, Spout, Spider, PR groove. At the first day of drumline, we worked on Apewolf and Spider with the captain's taps in between, and the cueing taps are different for each cadence. So when the middle tap came the drum captain looked nervous and when we were done, he said " so my hands were thinking Spout, but my head was all NO!!! Spider!"
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

One time, my drum line was practicing for a memorial day parade and it was kind of breezy but no big deal, any ways, we were in the middle of practicing a turn and this HUGE gust of wind comes and takes us all out! We broke a Bass drum cause this guy just went rolling accross the parking lot we were all laying on the ground just laughing sooo hard! To this day whenever we run into one another it still comes up ha ha
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

lol did it get on tape?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

one time a pittie was carrying 7th bass and triped on a curb! he still gets crap about it.

another time we were rolling the pit carts down a huge hill and we had to detach the timpani cart, next thing you here is boom crash. the timpani cart had rolled down the hill and crashed into the other carts!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I was in pit my freshman year, and we were practicing in the auditorium on stage because of rain.

So practice was over, and one of the kids started pushing the marimba by himself and he accidently pushed it off stage! The whole frame cracked in half, but the keys were O.K. The frame's still real weak.
    Last edited by SunnyB; 07-09-2009 at 08:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    one time a pittie was carrying 7th bass and triped on a curb! he still gets crap about it.

another time we were rolling the pit carts down a huge hill and we had to detach the timpani cart, next thing you here is boom crash. the timpani cart had rolled down the hill and crashed into the other carts!
    You have SEVEN bass drums???
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC