Thread: Still Strugglin With My New Double Pedals!

User Info Menu

Default Still Strugglin With My New Double Pedals!

Ok so its been a few months now right and i still cant get these DW 9000 serious double bass pedals going any gd there just not fast enough and i find it hard 2 keep a constant double bass beat with them,iv fiddled and if fiddled and there still really clumbsy pedals,i started using my old ones for a bit but im determined 2 get these babys up and runnin i paid 260 pounds for em and im not gonna give up on them,any1 got any tips or general help for me on how 2 set em up? they need 2 be faster,how should i potition the beaters? far from the bass drum or close? should i have the springs pulled tighter or looser? please help drummer in distress!
    cheers guys
    kage

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Double Bass Drumming

Hi Rage,
    You didn't say how long you've been playing double bass drums but if you just started, it really takes a bit to get off the ground. New pedals are always hard to adjust too. Just think about how it takes awhile to adjust to a new car or a new bicycle. But once you play it awhile and make all the adjustments you need, you'll probably feel right at home with it.

For double bass tips, check out these links:
    http://www.drumsdatabase.com/drums-double-bass.htm

http://www.drumtips.com/double-bass.htm

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass

Iv been using a double bass pedal for bout 3 years or so,maybe less,i started on a rather cheap bt good pedal for the price,its a big dog i think its really good i used that for most my drummin career and then bought these 9002 pedals n been strugglin ever since. i been using the big dog pedals for gigs lol,i think i just have 2 be a bit more patient with the 9002's n just keep fiddlin with the nobs onit,theres so many! im sure il get it eventually
    cheers for the links there great

User Info Menu

Could it be that maybe these high end pedals have to many adjustments that make it almost impossible to zero in on the right comfort zone?
    Last edited by PokerDrummer; 01-08-2007 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Poker, I had that experience with snare stands. When I bought one with a universal ball joint, I found that it gave me too much angle. Upon loosening it, it wants to go "everywhere" at the same time. I hated that! So I got rid of it and went to a simpler design with just two main adjustments. I've been using that same snare stand for 20 years now.

User Info Menu

Seriously...You know its something to think about when buying a new pedal or like drummer said even a new stand. I say keep it simple.

User Info Menu

I used Pearl powershifter eliminators for a long time, then when the DW 9000's came out I switched to them. I could not get the right feel out of them either so I traded them back in and went back to the Pearls.

User Info Menu

i love anything thats really ajustable, i spend about half an hour, get it perfect and lock it. i love having that exact angle so that all by drums are easy to get at and i can do a buzz roll from any drum to any other drum, without hitting the rims or leaving any spaces
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Default new pedal blues

I just purchased my first DB pedal. It's a DW7002PT. What I found to work is adjust it all the way to it's tightest tension, play it for awhile, then start backing off the tension by 5 turns. in between releasing tension play it for awhile. It takes awhile but I finally have it where I can blast multipule triples without strain to my ankles. I practice aleast 3 hours a day and by using a metrodome during practice, I found that I'm now not forcing my footwork. Also, check every screw and bolt before and after you play. I ended up using locktite because the screws and bolts were loosening up during my workouts.
    During my practice sessions I play simple rudiments on the snare when I play the same rudiments on the bass. So far it's working and I feel alot better about my new pedal.
    Good luck and don't quit!!!

User Info Menu

It seems like you are haveing the same problem I had with my DW 5000 Turbo double pedal. Although I could not find any thing wrong with it, I could not seen to play smoothly on it no matter how I adjusted it. I am not trying to put down DW, they make some of the best pedals in the world. It's quite possible that I needed a different cam. I have swiched to a Tama Iron Cobra JR and my problems are solved, I can't explain it? ( I sold my DW to a friend and he absolutly loves it.)

User Info Menu

I'm fairly new to double bass-ing... I got my first set of double kickers as a gift, and they we're a pretty basic Sonic Drive brand. They were nice to get me started.

When I bought my new kit, Pearl gave me one of the P1000 Pedals with it, and I've managed to sort of bastardise it into my double kick setup (I should post a pic to show you what I mean). Anyway, I love the adjustability of this pedal.

Maybe you just jumped into the deep end, and bought pedals that were too complex for your needs. Too many adjustability options and unless you really know what you're doing, it's hard to get the best out of those pedals.

I'd suggest playing slowly, maybe 140 bpm 16ths, for a couple minutes. Then adjust one setting. Play again for another bit, if it feels right, adjust a different setting. Play again. Rinse and repeat.

Hope that helps,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Default issues with my pedals as well...

eh...problem solved...new springs, more adjustments
    Last edited by drumPhil; 03-25-2007 at 06:41 PM.