Thread: Wrist pain

User Info Menu

Default Wrist pain

Ok so in the past couple of weeks I have really been stepping it up trying to develop my left hand/ the smoothness of my strokes. One of the main things I do is just play rudiements at varying speeds on the pratice pad for a good hour per day. Since about Friday this week I have noticed alot of pain in my left wrist. Is this normal or should I slow down and take a day off or two?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist pain

Don't keep playing thru pains/cramps.That can make it hurt more.I'ld guess that the time you're spending on the pad is working muscles that aren't used to being used the way you're using them.

User Info Menu

Sometimes you might want to relax the hands, there are several martial arts techniques that help you do this and I have found the techniques assist me while playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Don't keep playing thru pains/cramps.That can make it hurt more.I'ld guess that the time you're spending on the pad is working muscles that aren't used to being used the way you're using them.
    See thats the thing I do not feel the pain when I am playing. It is more like the next morning when I wake up. Also I am relaxed whe I play becuase I am trying to make sure my strokes are even.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing it's just soreness but if it really starts to hurt visit a doctor. Could be carpal tunnel or something nasty like that. It's good that you're working on your offhand though, being able to lead with either hand and play equally fast with each will greatly improve your drumming.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

rest your wrist and if the pain continues go to a doctor

User Info Menu

Always consult a doctor if there is persistant pain. If he/she seems like he's/she's just brushing you off, an orthopeadist (since it's their specialty) may be in order to ensure your joint's are ok - this depends on if it's actually your wrist that is in pain, not the surrounding area - only you can tell that.

I know that the no pain, no gain rule applies to drumming as well as most things, but there is a difference between soreness becuase your working a muscles group that isn't used to it, and pain becuase there is something wrong. A good way to tell the difference, is the 1st will disappear, while the later will persist.

Like has been said, it is most likely just some soreness, but it is always a good idea to see a doctor. Something to keep in mind is that the wrist itself doesn't have any muscles in it. If the pain is in the actual wrist joint, chances are there is a deeper issue than just working it in a way it's not used to. If however when you say wrist, it's more just above the wrist joint etc... then I'd say it's definately muscular, and either way, it doesn't hurt to see a doctor and get it checked.

Of course it may be a technique thing, and really youd need to show a teacher/instructor your technique to get this checked and fixed.

BTW - dont' wait to see the doctor when it's better - do it the day and time it is hurting - that way whatever the problem is will be more obvious as it is obviously inflamed and aggravated at that time. Just makes his/her job easier.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

An hour a day on the pad with rudiments can be a bit much to start out with. Wrist pain can be from sore muscles or incorrect stroke technique. In either case, ease of the regimen and nevedr play/practice when you are hurting.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Also, you should always make sure you're holding you're sticks correctly. With matched grip, palms should be facing the floor and your hands should be relaxed, not tense. I got hand pains from tensing up my hands.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Yeah, I had that when I was a beginner drummer. I got really bad wrist pains for about a week. Your muscles aren't usually being used in that way, which means that it has to work harder suddenly. I had to wait a week for the pain to go away. Hope this helped.

Justin

User Info Menu

I think that it is just that my left wrist is not use to being worked this hard. As far as technique I do not think that is the problem since I always play that same way as with my drum teacher and he never corrected my technique. After I stopped for a couple days the pain went away. Now that I statred back up I have not seen anymore pain yet. I know you are thinking beginner drummer with bad technique trying to play to fast, which I do not blame you. But honestly I realized the importance of slow smooth strokes along time ago because my drum teacher kept bashing it into my head.