Thread: hand pains???

User Info Menu

Default hand pains???

sometimes when i drum i get pains in the top side of my wrist and also on the top of my hand is there anything i can do to stop this happening??

and any tips to improve wrist strenght

thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: hand pains???

Loosen your grip.

User Info Menu

when i play i dont grip that hard but ill try even looser

User Info Menu

Cool Re: hand pains???

Check On "Jim Chapins....Power & Endurance"
    Seems Like Maybe Da Moeller Method Might Offer Some Great Advice...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

It sounds like you may be gripping the stick to tightly with your thumb and forefingers, or with your entire hand. Try loosening your grip. The thumb and the forefinger grip the stick lightly, but not so light that the stick flies out of your hand. The rest of the fingers are only used for rebound. When you practice, you will experience some soreness and burning in your forearms from constant repetition. As you get better, the soreness should decrease as you develop your muscles.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    and any tips to improve wrist strenght
    Well, for my wrists, I just do single strokes with each wrist individually until they get tired from doing it, lol. It might be overkill, but for me, it works really well. Maybe you could try that.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

You may not be holding the sticks tightly, but are you tensing the back of your hand? I used to do that (lol), and I got back hand pains. Also, how are you holding your sticks? If you use matched, you should be holding the sticks with your palms facing the ground.

I know a drummer who, during a gig, sprained his wrist because he was holding the drumstick with his palm facing sideways instead of downwards.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I was taught at a young age that the best way to play without injuring your hands is with your palms down. its the natural motion of the wrist when you play like that. and try less wrist action more finger flicking action

User Info Menu

Soak your hands and wrists in cold water for a minute to ease the swelling.
    (Wait til you get to be 60! ooh boy!) Anyway, treat this pain as you would a sports pain.
    Also, don't drum as fast as you can all day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post

I know a drummer who, during a gig, sprained his wrist because he was holding the drumstick with his palm facing sideways instead of downwards.
    idk, French grip isn't a bad thing when used correctly. Chances are that drummer was doing something else wrong as well. I use a pretty French bias and have never had any problems but I also tend to play a lot loser than most.

OP, there's something wrong with your technique. I'd suggest taking some lessons to correct whatever is wrong, you really shouldn't be having any pain at all. I play a lot and ever have any hand pain but I also took lessons from a jazz drummer (big technique guy) at a young age. In a nutshell, you should barley have any tension between your hands and the sticks regardless whether you play French, German, or traditional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    idk, French grip isn't a bad thing when used correctly. Chances are that drummer was doing something else wrong as well. I use a pretty French bias and have never had any problems but I also tend to play a lot loser than most.

OP, there's something wrong with your technique. I'd suggest taking some lessons to correct whatever is wrong, you really shouldn't be having any pain at all. I play a lot and ever have any hand pain but I also took lessons from a jazz drummer (big technique guy) at a young age. In a nutshell, you should barley have any tension between your hands and the sticks regardless whether you play French, German, or traditional.

I would agree with this. Lessons would help but if you don't want to or don't have the cash try this...

Sit on your throne away from your kit, let your arms relax at your sides and with as little tension as possible (shouldn't have any in your hands or wrists) bend your elbow until your arms are at a 90 degree angle. Whereever your hands are at this point should be a comfortable starting postion. Try it at your kit, sticks in hand and try playing from that position without rotating your wrists. I used to get wrist pains all the time due to poor technique when somebody pointed that out to me, it has done wonders for my stamina and overall playing.

User Info Menu

you can reduce the impact of your strokes by keeping your hands closer to your drums when playing, this will also give you control of your volume level more, and reduce fatigue as well. on my right hand, the hi hat/cymbal hand mainly i keep my index finger outstretched across the stick, but the rest of that hand only loosely grips the stick, giving me absolute control and speed over whatever i hit, and doesnt let my hand/arm/wrist get tired or sustain any injury. its like if you were a gunslinger in a movie, you wouldnt use an automatic grip for a revolver, you'd want to adjust by twisting your elbow a bit to absorb the recoil, the same is true here, you adjust and find another technique to absorb the force of the rebound and shock when you hit the drums, preventing all sorts of boo boos in the long run
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments