Default Re: Zildjian Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by kev82668 View Post
    My cymbal set up is:

20" A Earth Ride
    17" & 18" A Custom Rezos
    17" & 18" K Custom Hybrids
    14" A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats

I love them all!!!
    Welcome to DrumChat kev. Great set up you got there!

User Info Menu

After seeing a GC 10%-off USED coupon in my inbox I decided to scan the used Zildjians under excellent/great condition (cuts down the numbers big-time).

I really didn't want to spend anything unless there was a total steal on a thin-dark crash or maybe a K dry-ride. There were some of each for very good prices but instead I found this much cheaper ($59).

Absolutely love my 14" standard K-hats, they're so rich and warm yet trashy at the same time. I have found myself at times though wanting a bit louder chick response with the foot without giving up that glorious middy bark of the K-series. Having read about the K/Z combo and also reading much love for the crinkled master-sound edges on all the various series', I seen this and said (to myself) WTH why not...?

The discount offset tax, so after s/h it came out to $72, so no big loss if I end up liking straight K better than mixed. If I do like this Zms bottom better then I can use the K bottom for a second hi-hat down the road.

Maybe a K-bottom with a light K, A or A-custom top might match well....?

Anyways,,,,,tonight's cheap used GC score!

User Info Menu

^^^
    It'll be here Thursday! (in UPS we trust) shipped from Brooklyn NY,,,,,,,,,,,,no sleep till!

Anyways, I just realized this will actually give me three plausible combinations, not two.

My standard 14 K-bottom weighs 1389g (the top is 1041g), and this Z-cusomMS bottom will probably be well over either one of the K's weight, so the K-bottom might also work as a heavier top for a sort-of dyno-beat with better tone,,,,,,,,maybe. ?

I wonder what the standard dyno-beat 14" tops weigh/ed on average?

I'm fully expecting to still like the full K-tone better than any mix, but I also enjoy variety (and loudness) and find it can serve as an inspiration to play sometimes when I otherwise might not really feel like it.
    Last edited by dave74; 02-03-2016 at 03:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Totally loving my new K light hi hat top. I've paired it with that man hole lid of a Zildjian bottom I've had around here for years. It's the 15" so it's large enough to rock but still has that sweet K-ness to swing!

Hopefully my 18" kerope crash will be on the airplane today. The UPS tracker says it's been delivered to the plane people yesterday. Woo hoo. My cymbal buying is complete.

all the best...

User Info Menu

14" Z-customMS bottom is here and weighs in at (after douche lol) 1597g.
    I found a couple old ad listings of non-Mastersound examples weighing 1600's, so it seems probably about average.

Anyways, thats 208g more than my K-bottom, so that's the first combo I'll try tomorrow. Should be mighty loud and clangy!, but I am a metal guy, so.
    If I like that combo then I'll surely love the K-top on top also.

User Info Menu

Cymbal hunting is officially over for me. This should carry me through to the end. My jazz set now has all Zildjian. Not siblings but all first cousins. 22 K Con ride, 18 Kerope crash and 15 hats (K top/ vintage Zidljian bottom) Happy camper!

Going to get pix up sometime but there's still a couple of little tweaks I want to do on the set. Plus I need a camera or a photographer LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    My cymbal buying is complete.
    I've said that before!

User Info Menu

?... My cymbal buying is complete.

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I've said that before!
    Ouch!! Coffee fired out the nostrils hurts!!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Ouch!! Coffee fired out the nostrils hurts!!
    I've found if you let it cool down a bit first, your nostrils will thank you.
    Last edited by Bish; 02-05-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

On the other hand 'Irishing it up' a little before spraying it out of your nostrils isn't such a great idea.

User Info Menu

The worst part of it, is it's true!

Maybe I should work on get a Paiste family together LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Maybe I should work on get a Paiste family together LOL.
    Now you're make'n sense .

User Info Menu

No use at all for the K-bottom over the Z-bottom,,,, complete waste of 2 minutes lol.
    Sooooooooo loud I can't even see that working for anything at all, even too much for blast-beat only noise-metal IMO.

K-top over Zc-ms is amazing!!! I'm in love.
    I'm not sure if it's the extra 208g, the brilliant finish, hammering, crinkled edges,,,or all the above together,,, but everything just jumps out so easily, and has the same basic warm core tone (as the full K-set), but with an added crystalline-presence.
    Still feels just as responsive and finessed except maybe a bit more overtones for the closed-tight two-stick stuff.
    I'm more impressed than I expected to be, which is nice for a change! $70 well spent.

User Info Menu

Apparently Zildjian spent 2 years RnD on their new line of cymbals the S family. B12 cymbals in all types and sizes. Seems like these company's will come out with stuff like this all the time only to eventually discontinue them. Sort of like a kick in the shorts or shot in the arm to get some new revenue flowing in.

Nothing wrong with that. Gotta keep it fresh. At the end of the day though there's just no comparison really between a B20 and anything less. I know that's a pretty bold statement but one I believe in.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-10-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Apparently Zildjian spent 2 years RnD on their new line of cymbals the S family. B12 cymbals in all types and sizes. Seems like these company's will come out with stuff like this all the time only to eventually discontinue them. Sort of like a kick in the shorts or shot in the arm to get some new revenue flowing in.

Nothing wrong with that. Gotta keep it fresh. At the end of the day though there's just no comparison really between a B20 and anything less. I know that's a pretty bold statement but one I believe in.
    I think you're right. Way back in the day, there were only 2 real players in the cymbal world. Now a days the competition is so fierce, they all need new ways to re vamp and market the same old mousetrap.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post

I think its a case of Zildjian having to do something to improve their entry/intermediate lines. I'm sure many newbies went the ZBT/ZXT/ZHT route just because of budget and brand name recognition - probably to discover that almost every other manufacturer make far better similarly priced budget models.

I bought ZBTs, a ZXT splash and a ZHT china because budget, sound files and brand name recognition..... except for the ZXT splash, the soundfiles were nothing like the cymbals I received - I replaced the ZBTs after a few weeks as they began to irritate almost immediately. 3 years later my cymbals are Sabian, Stagg and a few Paiste. If I cymbal shop now Zildjian seem to be the last manufacturer I consider - I know they make great cymbals in their B20 lines, but my 'Zildjian experience' still deters me.

From what I've hear on youtube NAMM '16 vids the new S range sound good compared to the old ZHT and they may help Zildjian raise the profile of their budget ranges. I hope so - I keep my ZHT china as a reminder to buy with my ears and not by label.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of brands doing something different with their entry-level logo/brandings.

For instance; If you see a guitar that says ESP on the headstock, then you know it's the real deal because if it wasn't it would say LTD instead. Not that LTD doesn't have some quality mid-level stuff as well, so actually they should have three different logos IMO.

You see "Jackson" from a distance and only the trained eye can tell if it's a POS or a multi-thousand $ masterpiece axe.

Zildjian should just remove the "Zildjian" and replace it with the big Z on the entry-level stuff. But then they might not sell as many lol.

User Info Menu

Two of my best Zildjians were purchased before the cymbal companies started ink-stamping their names in big black letters.

I can make those two shine really well.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Bought these today

I've been wanting a pair of 15 inch hats for a while, and these were way too good of a deal to pass up.
    986g top and 1180g bottom.
    I'll get to use them for practice tonight, I'll update later with my thoughts.

User Info Menu

Love the sound of Keropes. There are enough used out there now so you can find a good deal. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Well, I got to play them for about 3 hours tonight, and I'm in love. They are so dark, and buttery smooth. I really like how the 15 inch hats move under the stick. There is so much more wash to play with when compared to a pair of 14 inch hats. They were a super score. $370 for the pair, new. I went to the store thinking I was going to get the 15 inch K light hats, but then found the Keropes for an even better deal.

It's dangerous working down the street from a music store.

User Info Menu

Attention Zildjian: This works amazingly well!

Super trashy yet solid decay with a very versatile sound profile.

User Info Menu

Well I went to local music store today and tried out the new Zildjian Avedis cymbals..they were AWESOME..and all the bells cut really nice. Too bad I'm po...other wise I would of picked up a ride and crash.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

well..broke down and bought the Avedis 21" ride..very nice sounding..was going to sell my custom K hybred..had a buyer he backed out..so I am keeping it..just in case I get to play hard rock playing once again..the Avedis will work out for the smaller venues I will most likely play in my retirement.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride