Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Paiste Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    The world's largest cymbal has been spotted in Liverpool, & it was made by Paiste!

Measuring 86.6" across (2.2m) & weighing 24.25lb (11kg), it was used in the Sea Odyssey Parade in Liverpool last weekend. It apparently took 1200 working hours to make.

I wonder what it sounds like.

Looking at that picture, I didn't think it looked very big. Maybe like a 20" or something.

Then I saw how big the dude in the suit was.

Last edited by xweasel; 04-28-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s_tic_k View Post
    note to self buy cymbal cleaner!
    Be sure to buy Paiste Cymbal Protector along with Paiste Cymbal Cleaner. It's useful when the protective coating on a Paiste cymbal has faded.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Sound Edge 2oo2s and they rock get em. get em now.

User Info Menu

My Paiste 21" Dark Dry ride in action!!! Its so beautiful, best cymbal purchase I ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5W_DL08OzI
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

scratch that dark crisp, bought this instead.
    Twenty Masters 20" Sweet Ride
    Heres a sound clip I recorded, the first ride is my 21" dark dry, the second is the sweet ride. http://soundcloud.com/chris-gavarian/ride-test
    I am just testing it out however. Not sure if its "the one". Choosing a ride is so difficult. My major qualm is that it lacks ping to make up for its overall low volume. However, it still sounds great. it has a very clean shimmer, no wavering.

Last edited by SpatzST; 05-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

^Nice score on the Twenty Series Sweet Ride, SpatzST!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Great choice Spatz! It is a lovely ride indeed.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thought I'd better post pics of my recent purchases from ebay.

A brand new unused (unwanted!) 16" RUDE Crash/Ride - £80.

A used 20" Ride/Crash - £95.

14" Alpha Rock Hats - £75.

I'm sure someone will know for certain, but is the 20" original vintage? I only ask because of the different logos between the two RUDEs.

They have replaced my PST3's (which my son has used to replaced his Planet Z's), though I still use the 16" crash from that set. I'm after another crash & have come down to a toss-up between an Alpha Brilliant Rock Crash or a PST8 Reflector Rock Crash (both 16"). Any suggestions as to what to get?
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Dodeska, I would say that the 20" RUDE ride/crash is an older model. For starters, I used to have a 16" RUDE crash/ride with the RUDE logo in the early 90's when I used to play heavier stuff (along with Paiste 2002's and a 3000)....I remember buying that one second hand and at first you would only see RUDE's with white writing. Then a little later, (I think it was the RUDE 1000 series?) RUDE's then had green logos and I think that was then when they wrote ___PAiSTe__ on top of the word RUDE. There was also the RUDE 3000 series (which had red logos......I own an 8" RUDE splash and it's writing is mostly worn off, but it was definitely red) and when Paiste re-introduced the RUDE series again - after a number of years absent on the market - they came back with white lettering, only by now all RUDE models are written as "Paiste RUDE", as far as I can recall seeing around drumshops. From time to time though, you can come across second hand RUDE's without the word " Paiste" written on them, I don't think I've come across any that are brand new.

I also own an old model 16" Alpha Thin crash, which I pretty much mix in a set of Signatures and Sound Formulas, and it certainly does hold up to itself sound-wise in comparison to the others. Personally, if I was in your position, I would go for the Alpha Brilliant Rock Crash as it would go with the Alpha Power Hi-Hats as well as the RUDE's you now own. But then again, I'd say try both that and the PST8 and judge for yourself. You got a good score with those cymbals, especially if you like to play loud.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, pretty soonish I'll be picking up two more Paiste 2002 Cup Chimes, a 5" and a 6", to go with my 5.5" and 6.5" ones.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Drumbledore. I think I may just get the Alpha.
    Yes we do play loud. We've used the practice room overhead mics to record our rehearsals, and last week, when I broke out the RUDEs in place of the PST3s I could actually be heard over the 3 guitars!
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Looking at that picture, I didn't think it looked very big. Maybe like a 20" or something.

Then I saw how big the dude in the suit was.

I sooooooo want to hit that! Gimme those huge ProMark sticks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post

I sooooooo want to hit that! Gimme those huge ProMark sticks!
    I think Alex Van Halen's got dibs on that before you mate, lol!

User Info Menu

Went shopping for a second ride today at my local Guitar Center and passed by some splash cymbals.

I hit an 8" Paiste Signature splash. I don't know a lot about Pasite, but wow! That was one, if not the best sounding splashes I've ever heard. It is a must buy for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post
    Went shopping for a second ride today at my local Guitar Center and passed by some splash cymbals.

I hit an 8" Paiste Signature splash. I don't know a lot about Pasite, but wow! That was one, if not the best sounding splashes I've ever heard. It is a must buy for me!
    I know what you mean mate, I got one a little while ago. I've also owned splashes in the Paiste Alpha series, 2000 Reflectors, 2002's, Dimensions and still have a couple of RUDE splashes, an 8" and a 10". Plus I have various bells, cup chimes and other small Paiste effect cymbals. They're all totally addictive.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Drumbledore. I think I may just get the Alpha.
    Yes we do play loud. We've used the practice room overhead mics to record our rehearsals, and last week, when I broke out the RUDEs in place of the PST3s I could actually be heard over the 3 guitars!
    That's what happened to me when I busted out my Rudes! I could finally hear over the metal guitar playing. Congrats on the score!

User Info Menu

Well, just back from my 320 mile round trip for a 3 hour band practice last night!
    Used my new 16" Alpha in conjunction with the RUDE's & it holds it's own amazingly. It has a great musical sound that really cut through the loud guitars, fits in nicely with the tones of the other cymbals, and I couldn't resist playing it (threw in loads of extra crashes where none were before!!).
    Band mates impressed with the sound too, which is always a good thing.
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Default 302 series

Just gotta know what you guys think about these things.

User Info Menu

My latest & final (for now, or at least for this week!) purchase, a 14" Rude Crash/ride that almost looks like new. A snip for £50.

Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    My Paiste 21" Dark Dry ride in action!!! Its so beautiful, best cymbal purchase I ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5W_DL08OzI
    Awesome sounding ride and kit, awesome playing too. Just wondering, is this ride crashable or not.

User Info Menu

My latest & final (for now, or at least for this week!) purchase, a 14" Rude Crash/ride that almost looks like new. A snip for £50.
    14" Crash/Ride? That's interesting to say the least. Great grab though for that price!! Hope it sounds as cool as it looks.

Meanwhile, here's the shameless plug of my Paiste Sig ride, 20" Dark Energy Mark II. I loooove this cymbal. Got it for a steal. Man does it open up when you crash it Sorry for cell-phone quality, it's all I've got on hand.

Last edited by coddude321; 07-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coddude321 View Post
    14" Crash/Ride? That's interesting to say the least. Great grab though for that price!! Hope it sounds as cool as it looks.

Meanwhile, here's the shameless plug of my Paiste Sig ride, 20" Dark Energy Mark II. I loooove this cymbal. Got it for a steal. Man does it open up when you crash it Sorry for cell-phone quality, it's all I've got on hand.

One of the reasons I wanted it was because it was so unusual. I've not seen another & there's no mention of them on the OS.
    It does sound great, with pretty much the same tone as my 16" Alpha, though it holds for much longer.
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Sweet!

User Info Menu

I am sure some will know but if not Paiste have a few new additions to their cymbal range.

They have the Joey Jordison Black Alpha Hyper range which looks rather snazzy ...not sure about all the S `s on them.Also in black is the Aquiles Priester 2002 Giga Bell Ride nicknamed the Psychoctopus.

Moving on...their is also some new Rude Wild Chinas available in 16,18 and 20.

User Info Menu

Three more to add to my Paiste collection. Best thing, is that I scored these plus some some odd bits of Tama hardware all for the princely sum of AU$190. Gotta love that as a bargain. Spent a good evening cleaning these up, the 2000 hi-hat top still needs a bit more work on it though.