Thread: Stick info

User Info Menu

Default Stick info

Heres another post guys (yeah im full of questions lol, sorry if im bothersome)

well im not too good with the whole stick stuff, like the whole 5A Rock or anything. all i know is that i love the Ahead sticks, and for wood sticks Im only getting Pro Mark, Vater, or Vic Firth. Having that said, i prefer nylon tips, but they dont have to be. So give me some ideas of which sticks to buy for all 3, i play metal, and i like a nice light stick, but not too light so it feels like a feather and so it flies out my hand lol. and for the Ahead sticks, give me some suggestions for that too.

and also i dont know what the whole numbers and letters like 5A is, so inform me on taht too if you will.

and all i know is that Hickory is probably the best damn wood out there for sticks, since it has the highest shatter point out of Hickory, Oak, and Maple.

thanks guys

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick info

If you hit hard, but don't want a tree trunk, try Pro Mark 747Bs. They're a little longer and thicker than a standard stick... and they last me about 4 times longer than anything else I've used.

User Info Menu

this is just a quick run down of the main sizes of sticks however there are others.

7A- extrmemely light usually used for jazz

5A- bigger than 7A and very common among many drummers

5B- also very common and is a little bit bigger than a 5A

2B- probably the bigest sticks used to play kit. Not very common, but still used by some.

User Info Menu

Vater Rock, or Xtreme Design Rock... whatever they call it now. It's a good size, but they feel light for their size and they take a serious beating.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

First of all d4n, feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We're here to help with questions and to share thoughts on drumming (and you thought it was all about the foolishness )

I like the Pro Mark sticks just because they use less finish on the sticks, and I feel like I get a better grip. Quick tip: never by a set of sticks without rolling them on a level surface first. That makes sure they're straight. What Pwinnington said about the different sizes was correct, and that's a good starting point.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the Ahead stick, because I never use them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

2b's are great for beginners too because it helps build your wrist and arm strength, i use 5b's i play hard so i need a beefier stick to with hold
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

In all honesty your best bet would be to go to a drum shop and try all the sticks out on a practice pad. I play Vic Firth Steve Gadd Sigs, or Regal Tip Pings mostly.

User Info Menu

I like 5B's personally. Either Vic Firth American Hickory or Zildjian DIP.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

as far as ahead sticks go I would say they are something you probably want to try but beleive me they are not anything like the hype makes it seem. I hate using them on my kit, they sound like poop on the cymbals. They are aluminum core with a plastic sleeve. I really do not like mine but they are heavier then basic sticks so good for practice pad. But if I could go back I time I would not of bought them. If you want a heavier stick for practice pad get some marching sticks.

User Info Menu

I use Vic 7AN's. They're a bit lighter than a 5A which is kinda the "standard" but you can still get as much power as you need with 'em. And about the different types of wood breaking and such, I don't think that's something you should worry about. In my entire drumming experience I've only broken one stick and to be honest, it was already beat to hell. Have proper cymbal angle and don't smash your rims, and you should be fine.
    Last edited by limzz; 05-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

i use 5B nylon tiped sticks. they are perfect! (for me) and time i use a stick smaller than them it slides out cuz i use 5Bs so much. I like the nylon tip cuz it give a bright sound on cymbals.

i was thinking about buying some AHEAD sticks but i dont think im going to now after seeing things about them on this thread and MANY MANY others.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.