Thread: Tama, Mapex, Pearl

User Info Menu

Default Tama, Mapex, Pearl

Peeps, brand new to this so bear with me,

at present playing mid-nineties Pearl Export 7pc, but only use as 6pc as leave out the 8" tom, and love sounds from toms,(Remo heads) and kick very good not great, though if mic and sound guy do their bit can sound mint. Snare is a pearl world series which somehow after I have played with it, begged it, and tried every tension imaginable sounds really good especially mic'd up. Have over the years played Premier and Pearl only, much preferring Pearl these days.
    However I am now wanting to upgrade and after a lot of soul (+ dealer and Internet) searching, I have narrowed it down to three kits, and would appreciate some thoughts and experienced advice. They are in no order,
    Tama Starclassic Performer B/B, Mapex Saturn, and finally a Pearl Masters Custom MCX. In the basic Rock set up I want, 10,12,13, 16FT and 22x18" kick they are in a similar ball park finance wise, so peoples experience is what I'm looking for. Phil.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama, Mapex, Pearl

Welcome Phil! I don't have any advice on kits as the only kit I've ever owned is exactly the same one you have. Just wanted to say welcome to drumchat!
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Hey welcome! My suggestion is to listen... Try them out if possible, try to find clips of those kits and see what they sound like. Which ever one sounds best to you is your choice man. Of course, make sure that all the hardware is in good shape.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Thanx for the welcome and greatly appreciated, hopefully will get someone who has used at least two of the three and can give me the pros and cons, but agree and am still planning to try / listen to them all. Have a leaning to Pearl but think both of the others come highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I would recommend the Tama, because I think it's the highest quality kit out of the 3. I've also tried it at GC and it sound great - deep, fat tom sound with good attack, nice full snare sound with a nice crack to it, and a good sounding bass too.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!
    Honestly, if you can.. get out there and test drive these kits. You will find that they all have very distinct voices. I have played the Pearl MCX and Mapex and love them both. I have had excellent experiences with both Mapex and Pearl. (I own both brands right now) Pearl being the brand I have played the longest (15 years)

I won't tell you one is better than the other, but something to consider with these three...Mapex and Pearl offer limited lifetime warranties on their shells!
    I am not sure about Tama..

Let your ears decide for you.

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 05-21-2009 at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Cheers Yohin, no downside to the Tamas then ?

User Info Menu

i got the chance to rent a saturn one time for a lil low fi recordings, oh my god i was like "thats my sound right there!" course i like recording and triggered drums over live sound in big environments, so for me it was perfect, but it could be different for the next guy.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Welcome to DC!
    Honestly, if you can.. get out there and test drive these kits. You will find that they all have very distinct voices. I have played the Pearl MCX and Mapex and love them both. I have had excellent experiences with both Mapex and Pearl. (I own both brands right now) Pearl being the brand I have played the longest (15 years)

I won't tell you one is better than the other, but something to consider with these three...Mapex and Pearl offer limited lifetime warranties on their shells!
    I am not sure about Tama..

Let your ears decide for you.

-Les

Les speaks the truth.

User Info Menu

Cheers Les as well, I guess once you hear the right one you know ? What experience I have had is that they all sound good. Phil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philcaz0191 View Post
    Cheers Les as well, I guess once you hear the right one you know ? What experience I have had is that they all sound good. Phil
    Absolutely! Either one of the three and you have a winner.
    You also may want to check out Gretsch's Renown Maple kits as well.
    Very sweet and in the same range..

-Les

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tama, Mapex, Pearl

Let Yer Ears Decide...
    Have Someone Else Play Da Kits For You To Hear Away From Da Front Of Da Kit....
    If Ya Cannt Decide Then Tape Abit Of Each Bein Player,,,,Go Home ....
    And A Day Or 2 Later Listen To Them ,,,,on Tape...
    Which Sounds Better To Ya ?
    Which Leaves Dat Taste In Yer Ears?
    Then That's Yer New Kit...
    Besides Like Evreybody Else Here,
    You'll Change Kits More Than Once Anyways...

Same Thoughts Go To Cymbals And Drumheads...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Philcaz!

The truth is that you really can't go wrong with either of the three kits, so it really does come down to what sounds right to your ears. There are a lot of people around here that love birch shells, and just as many that love maple. That goes for all the other combination shells too. It really depends on what genres you play, and what sounds right to you. BTW, make sure when you hear them that you listen while you play, then have someone else play and listen from out front. That will give you the best evaluation of the sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

All the testing and listening aside...

PEARL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    All the testing and listening aside...

PEARL!
    i dont think this is very helpful BUT it is an opinion after all...btw, welcome to drumchat!!!!

User Info Menu

Cheers for help and welcomes, am going to like it here..Phil

User Info Menu

Having played Pearl and Mapex, I vote for the Saturn over Pearl every day!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I've heard both the Mapex and Tama kits you're looking at. Both sound great and both are great companies. Choosing between the two would come down to cost and preference towards the sound of one or the other (and for me the hexagonal L-rods). I'm personally not a fan of Pearl so I couldn't compare that one to the other two.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tama, Mapex, Pearl

Phrogge Sez Pearl.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I have a Tama B/B as well as a DW Collectors and a Pearl Masterworks. The Tama sounds every bit as "good" as those high-end kits. Maybe better. And the hardware is better in my opinion.

The Tama is made in Japan, whereas the other kits you list are made in China. I'm not sure, but I predict the Japanese drums may end up being more collectible in the long run. But who knows?

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

you should look the sets up on youtube for sound samples; its not a 100% method of shopping by any means, but it should give you a ballpark idea of what they will sound like
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks for that, have tried the Saturn today and loved it, am booking to have a go with the Tama but a bit of a spanner thrown in as the salesman (cracking lad, very helpful and knowledgeable) suggested I listen to a Shine drums set up and some Pork Pie drums, but that these would be expensive for what I want, if they could get it. Any views as I don't have experience of either, plus the ones I saw were a bit gimmicky looking?