Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: how can i clean my drums??

For shells, furniture polish sprayed onto a cloth and then get buffing. Use another cloth to get that high shine.
    Hardware/Rims a good metal polish, 'Autosol' worked a treat on mine.
    Cymbals, NO Brasso, the stuff gets into the grooves and sticks there and will take an awfull amount of elbow grease to get rid. As said earlier Groove Juice cymbal cleaner is great stuff, spray on leave a min then wash off.

User Info Menu

If your finish is lacquer - beware of any polish with silicone in it as it tends to make any refinishing / repairing of the finish a total nightmare... It can also cause cloudiness that will never go away.

The best polishes to use on lacquer drum finishes are guitar polishes like Gibson polish and Martin polish and the like. Also - the Dunlop 65 Guitar Bodygloss wax (silicone free) works great for shining and protecting everything.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

Unmount everything
    Remove heads
    Clean
    You'll need to tune again
    Lots of work, lots of fun

Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

i really enjoy cleaning my drums and cymbals. the band has been off for the last 2 weeks ,so i cleaned everything... i also use guitar polish on the drums,on the hardware i use windex first,then the guitar polish.
    we start playing again on wed. cant wait to see them set up and shining..

User Info Menu

Guitar polish on the hardware, that is a fist for me.

User Info Menu

yeah the polish keeps the fingerprints away for a while ,and shines them up real nice,,i used to use car wax ,but the guitar polish is easier.. try it ,it works great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I'd use something that works on chrome for your hardware and maybe some wood wipes if you have them for the woodwork. If you have Brasso, that would work nicely for the chrome and your cymbals.
    BRasso is the way to go on the hardware. Been using Brasso for 15 years. If you have a Dremmel tool or a drill with a small buffer ball ( little cheese cloth ball ) fire that Dremmel up on low speed and it will polish the Brasso to BEEAUUTIFUL gleam!! I have mid level kit and use foam / no ammonia glass cleaner.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

what do you use on powder coated black, and brass hardware seperately? is guitar polish only specifically for wood or chrome?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El-kevo the drumtech View Post
    for the chrome, stands hardware, rack...go to car shop...(oreillys, autozone) get alum-polish...its made for cars but works killer on everything

for the shells
    wrapped: anything not water or acid based...you could discharge the glue holding it on, you also dont know how thick your wrap is and worse there could be cracks/holes that the water seeps in and sits on your naked shell until its too late.

for "finishes": go windex or clean and shine...some sort of furniture cleaner that leaves NO RESIDUE...

cymbals:
    depending on what you got, how long you plan to have them, how nice you have them...Clean and shine, alum-polish, chrome cleaner, brasso, nevrdull, or straight out grinderwheel and towel.

if you spend the time and take everything off, soak the hardware in automatic transmission fluid. it completely removes rust, lubricates it, adds a small oil film over the hardware and helps protect it if you live in a humidity rich environment.
    Auto trans fluid? Really?? So some of my old chrome stands that have rust "scabs", auto trans fluid will remove that??
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

why would you clean your cymbals?? I never clean my never have..I think the dirt mellows them out after time..

User Info Menu

This is my new favorite drum cleaning product:

All you need is a soft cloth of some sort and lacquered drums are a breeze to clean.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    This is my new favorite drum cleaning product:

All you need is a soft cloth of some sort and lacquered drums are a breeze to clean.
    Just make sure there is no silicone in that stuff. Silicone can wreak havoc on lacquer finishes.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

From MSN product review site:

Cleans all the hard surfaces in your home without leaving any residue behind. Ideal for everything from wood to glass, chrome, and electronics. Silicone-free.

User Info Menu

i really don't see the need for chem's on drums

unless you have a some serious grime to deal with a mircofiber cloth is all you should need

User Info Menu

I have a huge clean up job to do on the kit I am about to get so it will be completely taken apart(every screw, nut and bolt). I will be using never-dull on all the metal and just a dampend cloth w/soap and water(extremly wrang out) on the laquer finish(to wipe the dust) . I intend on posting the before and after pics on here soon. Best of luck on your decision. F/T