Thread: Moving From A Gretsch Catalina To A Renown?

User Info Menu

Default Moving From A Gretsch Catalina To A Renown?

Hi everyone, my first post here although I have been lurking for a while.

I returned to drumming this year after a short 24 year break.

I have been using Roland V drums mostly, but I now have a new Gretsch Catalina in Ash and
    will start work with that at a rehearsal studio in about 2 weeks when the last of the Sabian
    cymbals arrive.

My question is this.
    I have an opportunity to have a Gretsch Renown in Maple for a good price by trading my Catalina
    back to the store and I while I know the Renown is considered a pro level kit, just how much
    better is it than a Catalina?

Has anyone got or had both that could help me decide?

Thank you in advance and here is the 'e' version of my Gretsch kit with Roland RT-10 Triggers,
    TD-10 TW1 and TD-12 Modules, an SPD-S Sampler and Smartrigger Cymbals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Moving From A Gretsch Catalina To A Renown?

The two biggest differences are that the Renowns have diecast hoops, whereas the Catalinas have triple flanged hoops, and the Renowns are made of North American maple, where the Catalinas are made of either Asian maple, ash, philipine mahogany or birch (discontinued). The Renown's finishes are also nicer and of higher quality, although some might like the Catalina's finishes better. And the floor tom legs on the Catalinas have just regular rubber feet, while the Renown's FT legs are cushioned so they don't choke the drum's resonance.

The Renown is an amazing drum set, and the old configurations (5 piece fusion kit) are being blown out right now for less thant $1k, so now is the time to get one.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board and back to drums . There are several Gretsch fans on the board who will be better at answering your question .....Im a Ludwig fan .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thanks for those replies and welcome.

Some interesting facts there Yohin, thank you.

Any other feedback?

User Info Menu

I have Gretsch Cat Clubs and Renowns.

Both sound great; but the Renowns sound totally awesome in comparison to the Cats. Yeah, make the trade!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Cuban!

I play a Grestch Catalina Maple kit, and there is no doubt that they are great drums. I have no doubt that the Catalina Ash is also a great kit. Having said that, there is also no doubt that the Renowns would be a step up from the Catalinas. If you have the ability to do it, I would say hear the Renowns first, and if you like what you hear, don't hesitate to make the deal. The Catalina series drums have 45 degree bearing edges, while the Renowns have the 30 degree bearing edges for which Gretsch is so famous, giving you the warmer, rounder sound for which Gretsch is so famous.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Cuban!

I play a Grestch Catalina Maple kit, and there is no doubt that they are great drums. I have no doubt that the Catalina Ash is also a great kit. Having said that, there is also no doubt that the Renowns would be a step up from the Catalinas. If you have the ability to do it, I would say hear the Renowns first, and if you like what you hear, don't hesitate to make the deal. The Catalina series drums have 45 degree bearing edges, while the Renowns have the 30 degree bearing edges for which Gretsch is so famous, giving you the warmer, rounder sound for which Gretsch is so famous.
    That sounded like an info-mercial . Did Gretsch pay you to do that?

Very informative PB.....I knew you would do well ,thats why youre our resident Gretsch-a-holic .

Your wisdom and knowledge of drums has grown in leaps and bounds since I have been a member here .What an amazing journey you have had .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Welcome! Nice set up!

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the kind welcome.

I'd love to be able to play the two kits back to back to hear frist hand the
    level of difference, but sadly don't have any stores close to me that could
    help me out with that.

I certianly love the Renown sound, but what I am going to do is take the
    Catalina to a studio in a couple of weeks and spend a day with it.
    I'm adding Remo Emperor clear heads to the toms and a Powersonic to the
    kick, so I think I will make the final call after that.

If anyone else has any thoughts, very happy to hear them.

Thank you.

User Info Menu

i would say make the switch up. i have been playing my catalina for almost 7 years now and would love to upgrade to the renown if i had the chance. but if you like the sound of yours in the studio after playing it there might not be a need to switch if you are happy. your call brother!

User Info Menu

Hi - welcom.

I've had my Renown drums for about two years now. I've looked closely at a number of Cat kitz and they are amazing drums for the price.

Some other differences not mentioned above:
    The legs on Renowns have the keyed memory locks - good feature.
    The hardware is of a "lighter" quality in the Cats (at least in the Birch I was looking at yesterday).
    The Renowns have a 6-step Polyester based finish - nice! I don't know if they take that extra step with the Cats.

So - the differences are there for sure - both are great shellpacks. If you like Gretsch a lot and want to stick to them and you have a chance to get a good deal on Renowns that's great. If I were you I'd buy the Renowns (time payments?) and keep the cats - but that's just me - I don't like to part with my drums.............I'm old-n-sentimental
    Gary

User Info Menu

Thanks once again for the replies.

Thanks also for the info Kona, a lovely looking kit you have there, are they Evans heads and are they clear or coated?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Your wisdom and knowledge of drums has grown in leaps and bounds since I have been a member here .What an amazing journey you have had .
    Thanks GF, but I have to give you guys most of the credit. Just look at Kona's post - great stuff there. I love learning from you guys!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    Thanks once again for the replies.

Thanks also for the info Kona, a lovely looking kit you have there, are they Evans heads and are they clear or coated?
    They're clear heads - G2 and G1......the snare came with a g2 coated and hazy 300 reso. Emad on the bass - love that one!

They make for that nice deep tone on the toms. I use Evans ERings or some moongel to take some of the overtones out. I only do that for me in my drum room. If I played live - say for a large audiance - I would not do that.....it's good to have all that projection and besides, the overtones are absorbed/die-out? a little ways out anyways. Just saying - these heads are great for my drums. I do however switch out the snare now and then just for a change. I have an Aquarian New Orleans Special on my Renown & Pearl snares - they are a nice head too. And...........I just got a Tama snare and it has a Remo Fiberskyn batter. Very different feel for me. Just today I'm starting to use it as my 'kit' snare.....so we'll see how that works out.

Be sure to let us know (I'm sure you will) what you decide.

Cheers,

Gary
    Gary

Larrysperf Guest

Les would be good to ask as he has owned many G sets. I like Ludwigs so cant really help you