Thread: Cymbals: Best Bang For The Buck

User Info Menu

Default Cymbals: Best Bang For The Buck

I'm done with the idea of adding more cheap crap-sounding cymbals to my set. I've been spending days trying to find cymbals that will sound great and will suit the sound I'm trying to get. The problem is I'm really low on cash, so I need to find the cheapest cymbals that will meet my needs. I know that there are a ton of people that are having the same issue of getting the cheapest cymbals to meet their needs. So I am going to make a list, completing it with input from you all. I will give a sound description and I will also list their MSRP, but keep in mind that they can be baught much cheaper at most stores or even cheaper used.

Once we get this list pretty full, I think it will be a great reference for anyone looking to buy some new cymbals.

CHINA's
    1. Wuhan= $32.25-$171.75
    -12", 14", 16", 18", 20", 22"
    -Dark, Explosive, Trashy

SPLASHES
    1. Wuhan= $42.00-$72.00
    -8", 10", 12"
    -Breathy Wash Of Overtones

CRASHES
    1. Paiste PST 5 Rock= $136.00-$188.00
    -16", 18", 19"
    -Bright, Full, Energetic, Massive Crash With Cutting Power And Projection

2. Paiste PST 5 Medium= $136.00-$172.00
    -16", 17", 18"
    -Full, Energetic And Powerful

3. Paiste 201 Bronze= $87.00-$141.00
    -14", 16", 18"
    -Bright, Warm, Full, Brilliant. Crash Attack Is Fast And Powerful

CRASH RIDES

RIDES
    1. Paiste PST 5 Rock= $203.00-$238.00
    -20", 22"
    -Warm, Bright, Full, Wide Range, Big Wash

2. Zildjian ZHT Rock= $265.00
    -20"
    -Heavy, High Pitched, Powerful Bell

3. Paiste 201 Bronze= $168.00
    -20"
    -Bright, Full, Warm, With Clean Wash

HI-HATS
    1. Paiste PST 5 Medium= $186.00-$210.00
    -13", 14"
    -Warm, Full, Bright, Solid Chick Sound

2. Zildjian ZHT= $242.00-$298.00
    -13", 14"
    -Versatile Range Of Frequencies And Solid Response

3. Zildjian ZHT MASTERSOUND= $266.00-$298.00
    -13", 14"
    -Lively, Fast Chick

4. Paiste 201 Bronze= $174.00
    -13", 14"
    -Warm, Full, And Energetic With A Defined, Solid Chick Sound. Full, Bright, Open Sound

5. Paiste PST 3=$124.00-$140.00
    -13", 14"
    -Medium Bright, Clean, Full. Bright, Full, Controlled Open Sound

Notes:
    -This area will be often edited with new information, so come back at another time and it will most likely have more.

-Something you may want to experiment with is comparing sound samples of the cymbals they are considering. Most Manufacturer's offical sites will have samples and normally will allow you to compare them.

-The unwanted rings and overtones that come from many low-end Ride cymbals can be fixed with duct tape or moongel.

-To get the BEST bang for your buck, Buy used Pro quality cymbals when you find them in good condition and at a resonable price.
    Last edited by Owens; 06-27-2009 at 02:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbals: Best Bang For The Buck

Wow Owen, this is going to be a very subjective thread. What cymbal is the best value has a lot to do with what style we play, and what sounds good to our ears. If it is the right sound for you, but not for me, I don't really care how cheap it is, I won't want it.

In order to keep the cost down, I look for used cymbals that are still in good shape. For the type of music I prefer (Classic rock and contemporary Christian), I tend to like Zildjian A Customs for my crashes. I do agree with you that for the Chinas and splashes, Wuhan can give you good bang for the buck. For my hi-hats, I like a slightly darker sound, but with a good "chick," so I went with a pair of new 14" Sabian Vaults - I got an excellent close out deal, and got them for less than half of their normal cost.

What I am saying is that you should really figure out what sounds you like (spend time putting sticks on cymbals, if you can), and then be patient enough to find the deals that are available.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

imo either buy a pack of cymbals hats,ride,crash cheep ones

or get a set of decent ones over time

and don't buy unfinished cymbals like wuhan ..

User Info Menu

btw i think this thread should be moved to the cymbal area

User Info Menu

Save your money and get pro cymbals one at a time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    don't buy unfinished cymbals like wuhan ..
    I keep hearing that Wuhan makes good chinas.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I never pay full retail price for a cymbal. If I was on a huge US tour and needed a certain sound from my cymbals, I would probably buy new. Alas I buy intermediate to pro quality cymbals used for a fraction of what they cost new. I've snagged a 21" AA Rock Ride for 80, a 18" Z Custom crash for 70, an 18" xs20 china for 60, and a pair of 14" ZHT Mastersound hi-hats for 50. The cymbals I've bought new were also on sale, a 16" xs20 crash for 70, and with rebate i got a free xs20 splash. An A custom splash for over 30 off, and I also got a 16" b8 thin crash for around 40 new, and it gets the job done on the left side for me.

However; if you are insisting on buying new cymbals, here are the series I would recommend and reasons behind them. (Note these are the cheapest series by a company i'd recommend, the higher end ones are all fantastic and then it is a matter of personal taste).

Zildjian:
    ZHT- ZHT's are not bad cymbals by any means. You may get some people who are all "They aren't b20 bronze blah blah", but that really does not mean that much. They are b12 bronze so they are more mellow sounding then ZBT\ZXT's, and that is a good thing. Personally I think this is zildjians best line of cymbals that is not made out of b20 bronze, in which case pretty much any of those cymbals would be great. The hi hats I think are exceptional. The crashes open up pretty well and do not sound like "trash can lids", and the ride has a great sound to it. The splashes in this series are actually pretty good depending on the kind of sound you are looking at.

*Do not recommend ZBT or ZXT lines* I feel sabian offers better sounding b8 cymbals.

Sabian:
    Xs20- IMO this is the most under-rated series on the market today. These cymbals are made out b20 bronze but are much less than an AA\AAX\HH etc.. The lathing process is a tad different on these cymbals, but that's not a bad thing. The hi-hats are excellent, they really do sound and feel like pro quality hi hats. The crash's are very pleasant to hear, and they blend with almost any other cymbals. Only thing is that the crashes are not that loud, so if you are wanting a main crash out of these, I would not suggest it. I use my xs20 crash as a 3rd crash on the right side, perfect. The ride cymbal is very nice, good stick definition and wash, not too extreme in either side. The China cymbal in this line, amazing. It is dark with short decay, not as "trashy" as a wuhan, but sounds very musical and nice recorded. The splashes however in this series... are a little lackluster and do not impress me that much. But when you get one for free, it finds a way into your set.

B8\B8 Pro: SOMEcymbals in this series are actually pretty good. Out of the b8 line I would have to say the thin crashes and the ride are the only ones really worth buying, otherwise you will want to upgrade fast. In the b8 pro line, you may find some that you really enjoy. The b8 pro hats are very heavy and thick, but the crashes do sound nice. The ride has many overtones, but the effect cymbals in this line are nice and a steal.

Paiste:

PST5: I have heard great things about this line. Not much personal experience, but these cymbals aren't bad.

Alpha: Very, very nice cymbals. The hi hats almost sound like some high end Paiste hats. The crashes have a lot of body to them and have a demanding presence. The ride's in this series are probably the best. They are exceptional, sound like a "pro" quality ride does, and are less to much less than many pro level rides. The splashes are nice, and the china's are very nice to listen to. Many people love Alphas, and these can go for extremely cheap used, great deal here.

Meinl:

Classics: I've heard nice things about these cymbals, never played them. Problem seems to be with meinl is that many shops simply do not carry them.
    Probably better off elsewhere.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input. I know everyone is looking for their sound, Thats why I am including the sound of the cymbals I list. I'm just going to list the cymbals that I perfer, but anything that is cheap and is quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I'm with you. Slowly building a set of pro cymbals is so much better then buying intermeidate only to have to replace them.

User Info Menu

I want them all! Hard choice to make. Have you been lookin on craigslist (locally)

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I agree. That's exactly what i'm doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Sabian:
    Xs20- IMO this is the most under-rated series on the market today. These cymbals are made out b20 bronze but are much less than an AA\AAX\HH etc.. The lathing process is a tad different on these cymbals, but that's not a bad thing. The hi-hats are excellent, they really do sound and feel like pro quality hi hats. The crash's are very pleasant to hear, and they blend with almost any other cymbals. Only thing is that the crashes are not that loud, so if you are wanting a main crash out of these, I would not suggest it. I use my xs20 crash as a 3rd crash on the right side, perfect. The ride cymbal is very nice, good stick definition and wash, not too extreme in either side. The China cymbal in this line, amazing. It is dark with short decay, not as "trashy" as a wuhan, but sounds very musical and nice recorded. The splashes however in this series... are a little lackluster and do not impress me that much. But when you get one for free, it finds a way into your set.
    I also agree with this. These cymbals to me sound great and for a price that's hard to refuse.

Sabian recently has come out with refurbished(spelling?) cymbals and they are calling them SR2. Here is a post made in the Sabian forum from one of the Sabian guys................

Hello.

Please allow me to talk about SR2.

The reason we have not formally announced anything on SR2 (until this post) is because at present we are running a small test market in the US. Our plan was to formally announce SR2 shortly after we had gathered all the feedback from the test market.

First off, I should mention that SR2 is NOT a new series from Sabian. The concept of SR2 is to take B20 cymbals that otherwise would not be put back into stock, and recondition and renew them in to a cymbal that can go back out into the market at a lower price point than new.

The cymbals we use for SR2 will include, but not be limited to, cymbals that we receive back from consignments, cymbals that Sabian artists have used on tour, trade shows and events around the world, or possibly even cymbals that have come through production with cosmetic or surface defects. These cymbals may now be re conditioned into SR2. All the cymbals that are used for SR2 will be B20 cast bronze.

The first thing you will notice about an SR2 cymbal is the look. We felt that it was very important for SR2 to have its own very unique look in order to clearly distinguish and SR2 from a mainstream Sabian. We want to be absolutely sure that the consumer is fully aware that they are purchasing a reconditioned cymbal, as opposed to a new one. That is also why it has its own logo.

We will also be handling the model designations within SR2 differently than we do with our regular lines. The cymbal will only show its size, and one of three weight categories - Thin, Medium or Heavy. Also, all SR2 within the same size will be the same price, whether or not it was an AA, HH, HHX, etc in its former life. Price will be based on size only.

It is important to understand that as mentioned before, SR2 is not a new series. We are obviously limited in the amount of cymbals that we will have available that can be reconditioned into an SR2. In fact, there will be times when SR2 will not be available. Obviously we will not be making cymbals to go into SR2.

As mentioned, we are in the middle of a test market on these as we speak, so please bear with us as SR2 evolves.
    Last edited by PearlDrummer18; 06-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I've decided to listen to many of you about buying used pro-cymbals, I'm sorry it took so long for me to realize that you guys are right. Like many of you though, I like the Wuhan China's and Splashes so I’ll be buying those since they are dirt cheap. Anyways, for the used cymbals I know what sounds I'm going for, but not so sure about which cymbals to get. I also don’t know where I can get them and try them out before I buy. I know I don’t want a ride, I just don’t like rides. I guess it may help if I explain how I want to set the cymbals up.

Positions and Size (first listed size=most desirable):
    Hi-Hat (A) – On hi-hat stand. 15" or 14"
    Hi-Hat (B) - Auxiliary mount, above toms in front of right hand. 13”, 14”, or 12”
    Crash (A) - In front, left side. 20” or 19”
    Crash(B) - Left of Hi-Hat(B). 18” or 17” (depends on A)
    Crash(C) - Left of Crash(B). 18” or 17”

Other Info and Cymbals that I'm considering:
    Hi-Hat(A)
    -Will mostly be left open, so needs to sound great open.
    -Paiste 2002 Wild hats, Paiste Rude Wild hats, Zildjian A Rock Hats?
    Hi-Hat(B)
    -Will always be closed, and will be played much more than B.
    -Alpha Rock hats, 2002 Heavy hats?
    Crashes
    -I want all of them to project a lot.
    -I want A and B be the same cymbal, just different sizes.
    -C needs to sound much different.
    -Paiste Rude Crash/Ride, Paiste Alpha Rock, Zildjian A Custom Projection?

User Info Menu

What do you mean you don't like rides???

A Custom Projection cymbals are good. Consider getting the Medium crashes through if you are a hard hitter, because the Projections are medium-thin. For C, since you want it to sound different, get something like a Zildjian K or Sabian HH or maybe a 2002.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'm all about the XS20 line for great sound and low price. All of the cymbals in that line sound great to me, and they're the better bronze.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

PearlDrummer18 Guest

I agree. I was looking to replace all my B8's with the AA line but after hearing some of the XS20's now i'm haveing second thought's. For the price the XS20's are absolutely awsome cymbals.