Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you get into drumming?

User Info Menu

Default How did you get into drumming?

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about the "drumming bug" as PB puts it. Nothing personal, in fact I love that phrase!

I got into drumming because I saw a friend of mine do this cool beat, and I wanted to try it, so I started learning how to play!! And have been for about 4 years!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Default Re: How did you get into drumming?

Well i can sum my story up with two words....Rock Band. Yes that's right boys and girls i'm one of the many that started there and decided to try real drums. It's been a challenge and frustrateing at times but i've had alot of fun learning how to play and learning about different drums and cymbals. Lately i've spent more time reading here and trying to learn things than i have running my mouth about nothing. lol I have been at it for almost 8 months now and i don't think i'll ever quit playing.
    Last edited by PearlDrummer18; 07-09-2009 at 11:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I actually picked up a set of sticks and a practice pad a couple of years ago to work out some rhythms so that I could improve my guitar strum patterns. It didn't take more than a couple of days to connect me back to a desire to drum that I had when I was a small boy. Once bitten by the drumming bug, I guess you never really lose it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

my dad

User Info Menu

I really wanted to play an instrument because most of my family plays instruments, and I didn't want to be left out, haha.

I tried trumpet, harmonica, guitar, bass and keyboards before I tried drums, and I definitely enjoyed it the most.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I've always loved music, and got some friends playing the guitar, but i've always liked to bang stuff, so i decided to try the drums!
    And like Bob said, when the drumbug shows up...

User Info Menu

i asked my friend to show me some drumming excersice out of curiousity so he showed me a paradiddle
    and i kept doing paradiddles on my chest for like an hour

User Info Menu

I was playing Guitar in the band i'm in and we were getting let down by drummers all the time, We even brought a cheap kit for the last drummer to leave at our rehersal space so he wouldn't have to kart his kit around, he got called away with work for 6 months so i put down the guitar and started playing the drums, The first time i played the drums was at a band rehersal, i managed to blag the songs, Looking back now i think that is a real big achivement, sitting behind a kit for the first time and playing along with a band, Granted i was hitting the ride like a crash, no hi-hat movement at all and no fills etc. But with time, Lessons and a hell of a lot of practice i got there...I absolutly love playing and i think that comes across when we play in front of others. I love to Drum.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Well I started in 5th grade because I was told "Chicks dig drummers..." That hasn't worked out for me. I remeber watching John Bonham do a 20 minute drum solo. And that's what got me my first trap set for my 13th birthday!

User Info Menu

Auxilary percussion in junior high almost ruined me for playing drums. So I basically went into dumbug "remission" until about 5 years ago when I saw a set of congas played at my daughter's chior concert - i was entranced Then my wife suggested stopping at Rhythm Traders on our way to Seattle for a vacation. It was an instant love affair and my wife encouraged me to buy a set of congas. Hand drumming has really bit me hard!! Lots of lessons, practice, playing with a percussion ensemble, and adding new drums and auxilary stuff, but I am still loving it!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I actually picked up a set of sticks and a practice pad a couple of years ago to work out some rhythms so that I could improve my guitar strum patterns. It didn't take more than a couple of days to connect me back to a desire to drum that I had when I was a small boy. Once bitten by the drumming bug, I guess you never really lose it.
    This is very similar to my story. I was interested as a kid because my closest friend got a set (and became very good) - but I never got around to it. About a year ago I was taking guitar lessons and wanted to know more about rhythm so I did a search for basic rock rhythm or something and started air drumming them - I determined that it was great fun and eventually traded a guitar for a kit and here I am.

-Scott

User Info Menu

I was upset that everyone else at a blues jam could take a turn at the kit.....

So I bought a kit in Dec and here I am 2 kits later and havin a blast.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I started taking piano lessons at age 7 and got bored after about 7 or 8 years .My parents spent about a year asking me every so often if there was something else I would be interested in playing .

Tuba , trumpet , saxaphone, etc.........so when they got to the drums , I said stop right there , I want to give them a try ........here I am 32 years later .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I wanted to play something because everyone else in my family did...but i didnt want to "play guitar like everybody else" so I decided on the drums!

User Info Menu

The best looking girl in class said she thought drummers were cute.

User Info Menu

I was always, even at a very young age drumming out beats whenever songs came on the radio. Everyone else was singing or air guitaring and I was doing the beat. When middle school came along everyone wanted to be in band. I wanted to play drums, so I got the snare and did middle school band.

When High School came I didnt continue with band. It wasnt until a year after graduating that I became interested again. I needed something to do, and after going to Family Values tour I saw the energy of it and got the bug. I was thinking about getting a kit and starting again when a guy came into my job. He used to teach music at a college and we had a 4 hour discussion about drums and music. I talked to a friend of mine that had a CB kit, he gave it to me for free, and Ive been addicted ever since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I talked to a friend of mine that had a CB kit, he gave it to me for free, and Ive been addicted ever since.
    nice. a CB kit!! Made by me, right???
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Watching the Drumline march in parades!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

My brother, 3 years my senior, started. Thought it was cool and looked up to him (we shared a room) so I started the following year. That was at the beginning of 3rd grade! Lessons lasted about 8 years (which I had kept going longer with lessons) but haven't stopped playing since.

Got my son into it the first time he saw us play (that he remembers) in 5th grade. Even my 5 year old is into it too!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

My brother decided about three years ago to learn guitar. I wanted to jam with him so I decided to learn the drums. My bro has since given up guitar, but I'm still drumming 3 years later.
    Matt

User Info Menu

i remember being in church 'bout 8 years ago and seeing a guy playing the drums. I thought he was sooooo cool up there and wanted to be just like him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbeckort View Post
    i remember being in church 'bout 8 years ago and seeing a guy playing the drums. I thought he was sooooo cool up there and wanted to be just like him.
    That was PB bro...He gets that all the time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    That was PB bro...He gets that all the time
    Maybe the being up there part (one day), but I'm not so sure about the whole cool thing!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My parents said that since before I could walk I was banging away on things and they noticed that I could follow a beat, so they bought me toy drums. When I was 11 they enrolled me in private snare lessons for two years....and the rest is history. Been drumming now for around 27 or so years.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 07-11-2009 at 12:32 AM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Played my cousins kit for 4 hours straight instead of participating in his grad party. I ended up getting my own kit a couple months later so my drummer wouldn't have to bring his back and fourth every practice. I've played daily since.
    All the Best,
    Tom

Drums:
    Ddrum Dominion Dorian 5-piece Kit
    24x18 kick
    13x9 mounted
    14x14 floor
    16x14 floor
    14x4.5 Ludwig Acrolite
    14x11 Custom Yamaha marching snare on floor tom legs

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that
    count. It's the life in your years. --Abraham Lincoln