Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New World Record for Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: New World Record for Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    it would suck a lot to forget to bring your earplugs
    earplugs? We're DRUMMERS!! We don't need no stinkin earplugs!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I Want My Tickets For Next Year Now!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    Thanks very much gonefishin.

The event was floated about six months ago and an appeal put out "Wanted - 600 Drummers" and with me picking up the sticks again in March after a short 24 year break, it seemed a perfect 'come back gig.'

I've been using a Roland V Drum kit, but bought a Gretsch Catalina Ash kit with the plan to double it up as both an 'A' and 'E' kit using mesh heads and triggers for the 'E' kit.

I'd not yet used the Gretsch as an acoustic kit and was booked into a rehearsal room last Wednesday and Friday to try it out ahead of Monday's record attempt, but fate stepped in when I was taken very ill on Monday night with a raging fever for 36 hours, so I put the rehearsal back 24 hours to Thursday.

Out of the blue, the Gretsch Renown was advertised Wednesday morning and I grabbed it for just $600 that same day, so spent two days getting to know it Thursday and Friday.

On Monday, we were allotted arrival times, starting at 8am with the plan to have 600 kits in place by 1pm, which they did, although the total was 582 in the end.

We jammed for a while and then did some test runs to keep everyone in time due to the kick back of the sound in such a big arena and then nailed the record.
    We finished at 4pm and most people were out within an hour which was amazing really.

So a long build up for me trying to relearn how to play and then a long record day (with the journey there and back added in) but it was oh so worth it!
    Best of all, I'm back drumming for good now!
    omg!?!? you got the renowns for only $600!?!?!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    The American event is coming up on Nov. 1st this year. There will be 11 cities participating at the same time, although I don't know which cities besides Houston will have the event...
    Here is a link to the Texas Big Beat for anyone in my area who is interested:

[Commercial links are not allowed. I copied the event info and included it below. - Tom]

There is some info. about the last couple years' events; in 2007 we had 438 here. The best part: it's all for charity!!!

====================
    Texas BigBeat

And the BEAT GOES ON with the 3rd Annual Texas BigBeat Drumming Charity Event. Sunday, November 1, 2009
    OOPS! Sorry Tom, I really didn't think about it being a drum shop's commercial site! Thanks for re-posting some of the relevant info!
    When they get the links up for the charity site for 2009's event I will post that along with whatever info I can find on the 10 other cities that will be participating this year in a new thread.

It really is fun and the shops and sponsors who put the events on give away a LOT of free gear. I didn't make it out to last year's event but in 2007 we all played several songs together: 'Sharp Dressed Man', 'Cold Shot', 'Hawaii 5-0', etc...
    It was a little tricky due to the physical distance between the band & conductor leading the group and the drummers in back! You really have to watch the conductor and pay attention to his timing, not wait for the sound to get to you (or you will be playing far behind).

Anyway, good times!
    Congrats Cuban on participating in the new record!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words folks, it really was a great 'come back gig' and a day to remember forever.

The kit is awesome and yes, I really did get the shell pack for $600, although not new, it's less than a year old, although it was old stock I gather.

The only downer is not being able to get a 7x8 snare for less than $800 (custom made price) so I fear I will I'll be scouring adverts for the 'Deep Blue' for many years to come!
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT