Thread: pdp x7 maple a good buy?

User Info Menu

Exclamation pdp x7 maple a good buy?

Hello my name is zach and well i"m new to this drum forum stuff and i have a problem. Ive been playing drum set for a couple of years now on a pearl forum and i think its time to upgrade to a bigger and better set. So what i found is a pdp x7 maple 7 piece shell pack and i was curious whether or not anyone has had any experience with this kit. My current fund is about 1000 dollars and hardware isn't a problem but basically what i wanna know is that if i do go with the x7 ill be satisfied with it for years to come instead of regreting that i bought it. Or perhaps you guys could suggest another suitable kit if the x7 is lacking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

Default Re: pdp x7 maple a good buy?

Welcome to Drum Chat, Zach.

Since you already own Pearl, have you looked at their Vision series or the Masters?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I bought the X7 kit back in January, but not the maple one. It's the same hardware and everything, just different shells. I love my X7. And now that they come in maple, what's not to like? You will have a hard time finding another 7 piece set in the same price range and the hardware on the X7's is very nice as well.

I thought they even sounded good with the stock heads, but for the sake of a little bit of noise control, I have replaced them with Pinstripes. I actually ended up liking the control the pinstripes gave me, and with the A Custom cymbals, it works out very well.

Bang for the buck, this kit is high on the list, along with the Mapex Meridian and Gretsch Cat Maples, but I don't think you're going to get a 7 piece for the same money. Go play one and decide for yourself, but I think you'll be pleased.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

From the sounds of it lager this seems to be a good kit for an exceptionally good pricewas there any problems you had with the kit?

As for looking at pearl though yes i have seen their visions and getting a 7 piece in either vbx or vmx would be a couple hundred dollars more and overall im not a big fan of their mounts either after spending so much time getting the angles right plus i like the fast tom sizes too allowing my toms to be lower

User Info Menu

I'm in the same boat. I thought I had my mind set on The Mapex Meridian maple, but the X7 in maple has got me wondering again.

User Info Menu

I have heard the regular X7's at GC's with stock heads and they sounded great(even considering the half-hearted tuning GC display kits get) . The maple X7's should sound better than the poplar ones.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Is this maple like the Gretsch Cat Maple with other wood used in the plys?
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

My drum teacher has a set of X7's (silver to black, nice finish). The sound pretty sweet, though he uses it as a 6-piece setup.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

The X7 maples I see are sold as a shell pack. Anyone care to recommend a hardware pack to go along with it?

User Info Menu

i was browsing youtube for the x7 to get a general idea of sound quality and i found this kid ripping it up

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObEq1EQrfJY"]YouTube - Eloy Casagrande tocando na X7[/ame]

p.s. helps if you watch it in hd

User Info Menu

i just bought the pdp 800 hardware seperate 3 boom, 1 straight, highhat, snare, not too pricey, maybe 350 total, and the stock heads do sound great, just very thin, they dont last long, hopeing my coated emperors last longer

User Info Menu

I've heard it's a pretty good kit. Have a look around though
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^