Thread: Quality Cymbal Pack for $350?

User Info Menu

Default Quality Cymbal Pack for $350?

Is there such a thing as a quality cymbal pack for $350? I need hi hats, 2 crashes, and a ride. I'm new to drumming and what I seem to like is always a bit more than I have. Like Zildjan A's...those I love. Those are out of my price range right now. Do I just need to save a little more?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quality Cymbal Pack for $350?

Not really...at least for that many cymbals. Thats the price of most low level packs. Sabian has some deals on AAs that is close to that price.

User Info Menu

In the line of Sabian is where does AA stand?

User Info Menu

The AAs are considered a vintage sound. The AAX are considered modern. They have pretty good explanations on their site.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

yeah like charly said the aa and aax's are both a modern sound, bright. i would say they sound close to the zil's A customs, correct me if im wrong people

User Info Menu

The AA's are more or less equivalent to Zildjian A's and the AAX would be about the same as A Customs. I've seen packs of those in the $500 range. I did see a pre-pack of Paiste Alphas on sale for $299 once. I guess technically they're one level below the above-mentioned, but a lot of people rave about them and a number of pro drummers use them. The best deal I've ever gotten was a pre-pack (everything you're looking for plus a splash) of Sabian HH/HHX cymbals (a level above AA/AAX) for $649. Just sold them one at a time to get my Sonor kit and my Paiste Dark Energy cymbals and actually sold them for a bit more than the original pre-pack price (the only time I've ever been able to do that with used equipment). Honestly, I'd say wait 'til you can save some more and get what you really want. Plus, right now with the economy being the way it is, you can get some unbelievable deals on used equipment. If you're patient and buy one at a time, you could definitely get a nice used set of A's or AA's or whatever you want in that price range.
    Last edited by shoedaddy; 07-22-2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I got my AAX setup one at a time (used,ebay), had AAs before.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

You can always buy used. I bought an A Custom 17" crash, 14" hi hats, and an A Deep Ride for $340 used a couple of weeks ago. That's over $700 worth of cymbals. You'd be short a crash if you got my same deal, but you be happy with the sound.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

You get what you pay for and with most prepack specials you get what the manufactuer wants to push.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

USED USED USED! I got all the cymbals you see in my sig plus 2 others I'm trying to sell for $125 each for under $400.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    USED USED USED! I got all the cymbals you see in my sig plus 2 others I'm trying to sell for $125 each for under $400.
    With the budget you mentioned I would look for good used cymbals as well. I would also steer clear of prepacs as the manufactures tend to put cymbals that would not sell individually in prepackaged units and you can really get some clinckers mixed in.

User Info Menu

I say you should either save up and buy professional cymbals one at a time, or check out ebay and craigslist for deals on used stuff.
    Matt

User Info Menu

i would say buy less cymbal but good one

be patient you will apreciate it

if you buy like you say 2 crash 1 hi hat and a ride you will have some sabian b8 or zildjian zbt it up to you

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY