Thread: Good Idea?

User Info Menu

Default Good Idea?

Okay,

A guy at my dad's work is selling a Tama Rockstar, with Sabian AA's or B8's were not clear on that yet. It's a 7 piece and I think it comes with a iron cobra, and Roland moduel with triggers.

For 400$

Should we buy it? Take what's good and re sell it?

Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good Idea?

They are $500 new so if you are getting cymbals, go for it.

User Info Menu

How much are triggers worth? I have no desire to use them, but I could sell them.

User Info Menu

I have no idea, I just no if they are B8's or AA's that's a nice chunk of cash. Triggers can't be cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Okay,

A guy at my dad's work is selling a Tama Rockstar, with Sabian AA's or B8's were not clear on that yet. It's a 7 piece and I think it comes with a iron cobra, and Roland moduel with triggers.

For 400$

Should we buy it? Take what's good and re sell it?

Suggestions?
    Fred how old are the Rockstars? Tama has made them over various times in the last 30 years.

As for the cymbals big difference in value if they are AA's or B8's. If they are AA's I'd get it since the cymbals might be worth the $400 depending on how many and what sizes.

The drums themselves could be worth $400, but probably less. Depends on condition, hardware, and vintage. Just an FYI the more recent Rockstars in like 2003, etc... were a mix of Phillipine Mahogany and Basswood so not the greatest combo in terms of sound quality.

Older one's are also a basswood combo, although they use the term "selected other hardwoods" which would make me a bit nervous. In 93 they used an inner ply of Beech instead of Baswood. So it seems like they were always less expensive wood combos.

Your Swingstars are probably similar shell construction, depending on the age, so they wouldn't be an upgrade in any way.

Just my 2 cents. The cymbals have the greatest chance of having value.

If you get more details let us know.
    Last edited by kaosotis; 07-28-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Ahh it's gone. Nevermind

Thanks though.