Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Percussion Plus Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Percussion Plus Drums

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Cool. I do recommend untilting your toms though, they're at a bit of an extreme angle.
    yep. i know. i'm trying to find the perfect angle for me, so i'm experimenting with a lot of different angles
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by somekidwithanm4 View Post
    yep. i know. i'm trying to find the perfect angle for me, so i'm experimenting with a lot of different angles
    OK. Do your tom arms physically go into the toms or do they not connect inside the actual drum? If they do go inside the drums it's often harder to position them right.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    OK. Do your tom arms physically go into the toms or do they not connect inside the actual drum? If they do go inside the drums it's often harder to position them right.
    That would be the reason why.
    they do go inside
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

I used Percussion Plus for years back in the late 80's they have been around for awhile I used pinstripes and for the bass I used the powerstroke3 now I use all powerstroke3 on the entire kit Percussion Plus is a very good starter kit and they hold up very well

User Info Menu

I was inspired by the recent refinish of my congo's and have removed all the hardware from my 7 pcs percussion plus set again. I will stain it with two more coats for a darker color and then put polyurethane on them( really I was just going for poly but couldn't resist a little staining) So I will post some pics when their done. I too had a difficult time finding angle, I ended up getting use to sitting higher and in turn raised the drums which also allowed the 12" and 13" to be brought together and rather level. F/T

User Info Menu

i tried that once a while ago and i think i'll try it again. can't wait to see the drums
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Here's the kit I just finished it yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

wow, those look awesome FT! better than the original wrap by far

User Info Menu

so here's some updated pics. they look better than the old ones, so that's good

Last edited by somekidwithanm4; 03-24-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Is it just me or is there no head on the batter side of your bass drum?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Is it just me or is there no head on the batter side of your bass drum?
    Nice observation!
    You're correct. I was playing along (boom boom, tapity tap crash!) and then my foot wouldn't move. I look down and my beater went straight through the head, so now i've gotta get a new one. If you look in the left of the overhead picture, you'll see the hoop
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Yeah I have a Percussion Plus kit too in black wrap, and they do sound quite nice for the price! If you have right heads for it and tune it good, they will sound 300 dollars more. I have mines in a Bonham setup with Bonham tuning :
    14x5.5 Chrome plated aluminum CB percussion Mx series snare, sounds quite good! (I got it from my dad, that thing is as old as me!)
    13x11 rack Tom with a snare stand to support it, it sings quite well, warm sounding.
    16x16 floor Tom, has alot of attack, nice slamming sound with a loud warm and bassy tone, of course when you're behind he kit!
    22x16 bass drum, sounds like a small marching bass drum, but even for it's size, it has a slamming attack and has good bass!
    There is a 12x10 Tom but I don't use it unless I switch styles.
    Evans coated g2s over Remo ebony amb.assador on the toms with bonham tuning and Remo coated ps3 on my bass with the old batter on the front tuned the same ways as the toms and a Coated emp over a hazy ambassador snare side.
    This kit sounds really good in my opinion, and in recordings they sound pretty similar to the drums John Bonham used in led Zeppelin I and II.
    What I mean with all this is Percussion Plus drums sound really good if you care for them like an expensive kit I've been quite satisfied with my kit for 3 years now. I'll post a video with the sound of the mics so you can see what I mean if you want.
    Last edited by Juanbonham; 04-28-2011 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

a quick update: i've now got a remo powerstroke III coated as my bass head and a ludwig speedking as my pedal. still holding up fine but i need replacement tom heads now
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juanbonham View Post
    Yeah I have a Percussion Plus kit too in black wrap, and they do sound quite nice for the price! If you have right heads for it and tune it good, they will sound 300 dollars more. I have mines in a Bonham setup with Bonham tuning :
    14x5.5 Chrome plated aluminum CB percussion Mx series snare, sounds quite good! (I got it from my dad, that thing is as old as me!)
    13x11 rack Tom with a snare stand to support it, it sings quite well, warm sounding.
    16x16 floor Tom, has alot of attack, nice slamming sound with a loud warm and bassy tone, of course when you're behind he kit!
    22x16 bass drum, sounds like a small marching bass drum, but even for it's size, it has a slamming attack and has good bass!
    There is a 12x10 Tom but I don't use it unless I switch styles.
    Evans coated g2s over Remo ebony amb.assador on the toms with bonham tuning and Remo coated ps3 on my bass with the old batter on the front tuned the same ways as the toms and a Coated emp over a hazy ambassador snare side.
    This kit sounds really good in my opinion, and in recordings they sound pretty similar to the drums John Bonham used in led Zeppelin I and II.
    What I mean with all this is Percussion Plus drums sound really good if you care for them like an expensive kit I've been quite satisfied with my kit for 3 years now. I'll post a video with the sound of the mics so you can see what I mean if you want.
    Why don't you use the 13 as another floor tom and use the 12 on the snare stand, so you can have a 1 up 2 down like John?
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

i scored a percusion plus 10 lug brass piccolo snare new condition for 50 bucks and the damn thing sounds amazing! they arent made anymore and ill never sell it. sometimes a cheap drum will surprise you, your kit looks great.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by somekidwithanm4 View Post
    I've got Zildjian and Camber cymbals.
    Everyone always laughs at mine when they first hear the name, but once they play them they are in aw and ing over the sound. It really gives them a kick when this little thing can sound just as good as their $1500 Superstar with some expensive everything. All these need is a bit of TLC and walla. You have a nice quality set.
    I am a firm believer in you can take a lower cost set and make it sound great with heads and good tuning

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I am a firm believer in you can take a lower cost set and make it sound great with heads and good tuning
    I believe in that as well, but also that if you are able to tune up a lower end set with even just the stock heads and get a good sound, that you have a true gift and talent in drumming. That's not an easy thing to do, getting a kit to work well with stock heads is a problem that I think plagues a lot of new drummers, so if you are given so little but can get a lot out of it- you know you're on the right track.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

thanks for the review, I am always searching for a good beginner kit for my son, and its nice to know that for the little amount spent, the quality is good enough to last him through the 'destructive' years

User Info Menu

I posted a few days ago about my Percussion Plus set. I'm 63 and new to this and had a lot of questions. Got some great answers from board members.

Update on my new guy's kit. Bought the set for $70 - 2 toms, floor tom, bass, snare plus Zildjian ZBT 18 inch crash/ride and hi-hats. Black finish, very dirty, but cleaning up well and heads are very nice for starters. Drums and cymbals were great; stands and pedal were marginal. Pedal was missing beater, but otherwise intact. Cymbal, snare, and hi-hat stands were flimsy and missing parts. No throne. Off craigslist, I bought Pearl throne, pedal, hi-hat, cymbal, and snare stands that are much heavier and really nice, all for $100 ($20 a piece). So for roughly $170 and elbow grease, I will have a nice PP set with Pearl stands, pedals, throne. I'm new to this, but I do agree that the drums appear to be very nicely finished both inside and out.

This thread was very enlightening.

User Info Menu

I wouldnt do that because bonham used big drums, and Im trying to upsize my kit lol. I ordered a a CB Perc. floor tom (16x16) saturday, so it might come in today, can't wait to post the pics soon
    Percussion Plus kit Bonham Setup,
    13x11 on bass
    16x16
    16x16
    22x16
    14x6.5 Ludwig ??? aluminum Snare
    coated G2 batter
    ebony Ambassador resonant
    Powerstroke 3 coated on bass batter, Ebony ambassador on front
    coated g2 over hazy ambassador w/ starclassic 20 strand.
    14" Dream Bliss Hi hats
    20" Sabian B8 ride used as a long brilliant crash
    22" Sabian ride,??? Series
    20" Solar ride used as fast crash
    Pearl Horacio Hernandez cowbell

User Info Menu

I actually had a student about a year ago with one of these kits. the heads were not top notch and neither was the kit, obviously with the price tag it cannot be the best. But I was still amazed it how well it tuned and how good I could get it to sound even with the plastic crappy heads. I think it is a great option for a beater kit or starter kit, with the right heads it will get you going places for sure.

thumbs up to percussion plus.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I agree Zeta, people where always amazed at the sound of my PP set, and I didn't mind letting the kids beat on it.

Last edited by fumbled time; 11-03-2011 at 07:57 AM.

User Info Menu

i recently purchased this set for my 8 year old son,i would like to buy add-ons for it and cant find who makes this set,theres pp of uk that has a different logo not sure if its the same company or not,long story short who makes this set?
    Last edited by bentbailey; 01-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.