Thread: reason I didn't make the tenor line

User Info Menu

Default reason I didn't make the tenor line

I played the drums like they were on a wall. I didn't move my wrist down. And my instructor said that using more wrist would help. The moving my wrist down led into more wrist. I had to be more relaaaaaxed.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: reason I didn't make the tenor line

Well CB, that is the very thing that I am working to master at the moment. My instructor tells me that it will come as I get more of a "feel" and become less mechanical (or as I become less mechanical, the feel will come ). Either way, it's just a step we go through.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yea using too much arm is a bad thing in marching but not using it at all is bad. I had trouble using only wrist but fixed it after a couple weeks of practice. Using too much arm slows you down and wastes energy. Since you play on the set its natural to use arm since the toms are positioned high and the drum set does require a lot of arm usage (crashing cymbals, playing toms, playing the hi hat, etc). You practically use all arms on the drumset and your just used to that. So practice and im sure youll make it next season. Best of luck

btw what instrument are you playing since you didnt make tenors?
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I played the drums like they were on a wall. I didn't move my wrist down. And my instructor said that using more wrist would help. The moving my wrist down led into more wrist. I had to be more relaaaaaxed.
    Im going to take a guess and say there were several others beside yourself going out for tenors . I think other-wise he probably would have picked you for the line .

Now you know what you need to do for next time round .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Beet, I'm playing cymbals (it's not really all that bad) and GF, you're right. There was NOBODY who graduated who was on the drumline last year, but a tenor player quit, so there was only one spot open and 3 people went for it. The audition was not my lucky moment, but a friend of mine (the drum captain's brother, go figure) got it. Honestly, I'd have to feel pretty good for him now. And take pity on the tenors. A junior tenor keeps asking to take the drums off (started at 9:15 this morning we started at 9)
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."