Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Slingerland Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

Some pics with my newly accquired Slingy Pedals.

Both pedals are strap driven, they have an awesome responsiveness and glide suprisingly very smooth. The kick pedal is pretty sensitive and has taken me a little bit of time to get used to, but the hi-hat pedal is spectacluar.

User Info Menu

Can you say vintage?

Sweeeeet!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Took some more pictures with a different camera and of some different angles with all the drums this time, hope you enjoy...

A mock up of something they will look like once I get everything I need...

The snare with the weird throw, does anyone know if this is from the same era or not? At first it worried me but I have got it working well now though.

User Info Menu

All drums...

Kick next to my Gretsch Cat Birch's to show size.

Tom with new Pearl style mount.

User Info Menu

Where the old mounts were filled.

The old kick mounts.

So I still haven't decided on heads yet for the bass but I did find a White Slingerland logo sticker locally for the bass! haha. Thinking about maby Powerstroke 3 and Fyberskins would be a cool combo but not sure yet. Trying to get the rack situation out of the way first, Im trying to find the best deal on a simple rack for what I need which isn't much. Most people use racks to mount a ton of toms and everything else on so its kinda hard to find a simple one for sale used. I just want the simple curved bar Gibraltar road series or something similar. They have that "V" shaped Gibraltar rack I linked on the last page at Sam Ash locally for 225$ but I really dont like that V shape, I just want a curved bar.

Cant wait to get these things put together, the snare and floor tom sound amazing and I want to hear them all together so bad but time is money, at least I can play my Gretsch/Slingerland hybrid kit in the mean time...

User Info Menu

Finally gotten around to getting my old Sony DSC 717's battery replaced to show off my Slingerland-Pearl Maple/Birch hybrid kit(circa '63) which I'm sure purists will hate: drilled and mounted tom holders to replace the broken shoulder-slide mount system. But I was able to sort of repair the out-of-round kick with shims of foam core for mounting newly painted & stained, new maple hoops and heads. The snare is the same make and model N.Pert used for years- student grade Slingerland 14" x5" maple. I had to replace the snare throw, but kept the original strainer! 16" FT has original Slingerland res head(appears to be the same thickness as its batter head.)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I'm using a combo of Remo res and Aquarian Super Kick II for my Slingerland 22" kick(removed the 1963 felt strips from both ends!) and tuned it tighter than most drummers do and it thunders! Small toms have coated Remos over clear Remo res.
    Good luck!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I sold My slingerland set and it has left the building. I wish I could keep every set I've owned but gotta rotate the stock only got some much $$ for drummin so, where to go from here ?
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

If I could only win mega bucks. I love Slingerlands and here is a link to a kit on ebay.......it's less than a 2 hour drive away from me. I wish pastor could say a prayer for me to get my hands on this kit!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Mapex Pro M maple 5 piece standard Pearl 900 series hardware all Zildjian A cymbals.

User Info Menu

Option - that is the same throw that was on my Slingerland snare form the mid 70's that I had bought new at the time I think it 75 to be exact.
    Mapex Pro M maple 5 piece standard Pearl 900 series hardware all Zildjian A cymbals.

User Info Menu

I found these on CL http://charleston.craigslist.org/msg/1847421216.html
    Just wondering if they are worth my time.....What kind of shell. ????????
    Any advice will be great Thanks
    Premier "XPK" 10" 12" 13" 14" 16" 22" Premier 2000 snare
    Aquarian Heads, Responce 2, Impact 2 Bass, w/ reso.
    Paiste PST-5, 14" HH,16", 18" Crash, 20" Ride, 10" splash
    Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
    Tama RoadPro HH Stand
    Tama Double Tom Stand
    PDP Stands
    Isn't wonderful to be one of God's Children

"PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"
    "PAISTE POSSE"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xpkpremier View Post
    I found these on CL http://charleston.craigslist.org/msg/1847421216.html
    Just wondering if they are worth my time.....What kind of shell. ????????
    Any advice will be great Thanks
    Don't know anything about them, but the finish looks absoloutley fantastic! So nice !

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

The only Slingerland I have is a vintage 70's something like the snare pictured in Options post above. I love the sound of it. It has a built in muffle felt which is adjustable from the outside knob great idea no need for moongel or tape.

User Info Menu

They would be maple shells if I had the money and was close I would not walk I would jump on that deal. You probably already know this but you always take a chance with any wood shell kit. You don't know how it's been stored or cared for in it''s life. A friend of mine bought a nice looking kit, but could not tune it, he brought one of the drums to me to look at and the shell had oval shaped and warped. But in the case of that set your looking at the snare if not all pitted is worth the asking price.

User Info Menu

Were Slingerlands ever made outside the USA????????? in the 80s
    Premier "XPK" 10" 12" 13" 14" 16" 22" Premier 2000 snare
    Aquarian Heads, Responce 2, Impact 2 Bass, w/ reso.
    Paiste PST-5, 14" HH,16", 18" Crash, 20" Ride, 10" splash
    Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
    Tama RoadPro HH Stand
    Tama Double Tom Stand
    PDP Stands
    Isn't wonderful to be one of God's Children

"PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"
    "PAISTE POSSE"

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of links if your really interested in Slingerland history and what going on with them now. History and what up with them now Gibson/Slingerlans and another small article Artical Hope this answers all your questions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Option View Post
    Took some more pictures with a different camera and of some different angles with all the drums this time, hope you enjoy...

A mock up of something they will look like once I get everything I need...

The snare with the weird throw, does anyone know if this is from the same era or not? At first it worried me but I have got it working well now though.

Phenominal!!!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That sure brings back memories of my beloved 70's Sligerland kit I had. A friend of mine just recently bought a vintage Slingerland shell kit, he was complaining he couldn't tune them I had him bring a couple of the toms over and was horrified at what I had found. The hoops were not flat, the bearing edges were not flat and the shells had gone out of round and had a slight oval shape to them.

User Info Menu

Question Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

Hi you Sligerland lovers. I was wondering if anyone would know how much a Vintage 70's Slingerland snare is worth. This snare is in mint condition ( no scratches,rust or dents) It has the original Slingerland heads on the Batter and reso( not sure if the heads are still available) built in Muffler and oringinal snare wires.The badge is Silver with black lettering Serial # 577600. It almost looks like the one Options has pictured above, except I have screw heads instead of lugheads on the strainer that holds the snare wires. My snares are attached with strings not plastic straps. Appreciate any inputs thanks.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-14-2010 at 07:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi you Sligerland lovers. I was wondering if anyone would know how much a Vintage 70's Slingerland snare is worth. This snare is in mint condition ( no scratches,rust or dents) It has the original Slingerland heads on the Batter and reso( not sure if the heads are still available) built in Muffler and oringinal snare wires.The badge is Silver with black lettering Serial # 577600. It almost looks like the one Options has pictured above, except I have screw heads instead of lugheads on the strainer that holds the snare wires. My snares are attached with strings not plastic straps. Appreciate any inputs thanks.
    Does it have 3 lines in the middle of the shell like the one above, or solid shell? What type of strainer is on it (the one above is not original)? 8,10, or 12 lugs? 5", 5.5", or 6.5"? Post a picture if you can. Your serial # dates to the early 80s. Several different models that look very similar were available at this time, differences being brass or steel shell, the type of strainer, and the number of lugs. The value can varry greatly, for instance a Buddy Rich model from this time can fetch in the $300+ range while a chrome over steel model is going to be lucky to bring in $100.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Does it have 3 lines in the middle of the shell like the one above, or solid shell? What type of strainer is on it (the one above is not original)? 8,10, or 12 lugs? 5", 5.5", or 6.5"? Post a picture if you can. Your serial # dates to the early 80s. Several different models that look very similar were available at this time, differences being brass or steel shell, the type of strainer, and the number of lugs. The value can varry greatly, for instance a Buddy Rich model from this time can fetch in the $300+ range while a chrome over steel model is going to be lucky to bring in $100.
    Hi, there is no 3 lines in the middle and I am sure it is a steel cause a magnet sticks to it. 8 lugs, the strainer it not a big bulky like the one pictured(slimmer). I also have a brown rubber stopper on the thread between knob and the strainer that way you don't over tighten the snares. I wish I could post a pic of the drum but not sure how to do it. The badge numbers show it was made in the 70's to 80. Like I said not dents, scratches and no rust. Original slingerland batter and reso if this does anything for it's value. I do play it at all it is stored in a box. The snare as to be worth more than 100 dollars because it is between 30 and 40 years old.

User Info Menu

Hi, there is no 3 lines in the middle and I am sure it is a steel cause a magnet sticks to it. 8 lugs, the strainer it not a big bulky like the one pictured(slimmer). I also have a brown rubber stopper on the thread between knob and the strainer that way you don't over tighten the snares. I wish I could post a pic of the drum but not sure how to do it. The badge numbers show it was made in the 70's to 80. Like I said not dents, scratches and no rust. Original slingerland batter and reso if this does anything for it's value. I do play it at all it is stored in a box. The snare as to be worth more than 100 dollars because it is between 30 and 40 years old.
    You have a "Festival" model, its a fine drum, but it was considered a student model snare drum, and it really doesn't get too much follow in the vintage market. Not to mention there are tons of them out there, as these were marketed towards the percussion student in highschool bands, just as Ludwig did with the Acrolite. The brass models from this era are much more sought after, but even they are only bringing in around the $100-$250 range. Slingerland was top dog in the early days, but towards the beginning and middle of the 80s their reputation and quality really started to decline. Luckily your snare is from the end of the good era, but at the time being about $100 for a tip top shape Festival is the going rate. I'd suggest holding on to it for a few years, you never know what the vintage collectors will be after 10 years down the road. They are great snares, but just not incredibly collectible yet.

User Info Menu

You have a "Festival" model, its a fine drum, but it was considered a student model snare drum, and it really doesn't get too much follow in the vintage market. Not to mention there are tons of them out there, as these were marketed towards the percussion student in highschool bands, just as Ludwig did with the Acrolite. The brass models from this era are much more sought after, but even they are only bringing in around the $100-$250 range. Slingerland was top dog in the early days, but towards the beginning and middle of the 80s their reputation and quality really started to decline. Luckily your snare is from the end of the good era, but at the time being about $100 for a tip top shape Festival is the going rate. I'd suggest holding on to it for a few years, you never know what the vintage collectors will be after 10 years down the road. They are great snares, but just not incredibly collectible yet.
    Thanks Grestchhead for the info. Now that I know it's "Festival". How come I have never heard that name before even though I have checked every Slingerland catalogues in the Vintage drum page and what not. I will hold on to it cause I like the sound of it for hard rock. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Thanks Grestchhead for the info. Now that I know it's "Festival". How come I have never heard that name before even though I have checked every Slingerland catalogues in the Vintage drum page and what not. I will hold on to it cause I like the sound of it for hard rock. Thanks again.
    Its listed in every catalogue from 1960-1980.

The steel shell definitely has a great sound for rock! Hold on to it, play it, and who knows, one day they could be a very collectible drum.

User Info Menu

Its listed in every catalogue from 1960-1980.

The steel shell definitely has a great sound for rock! Hold on to it, play it, and who knows, one day they could be a very collectible drum.
    Thanks Gretschead. Now that I know the name festival it helps more in finding info on it. Before it was just one big question mark cause there was no other name on the snare.Thanks and I will hang on to it maybe for sentimental value cause it's been in my possession 20+ years. I also found a 1964 catalogue that says the festival was brass shell covered with chrome. Not sure if it is the same as mine cause the pic sure does look, like the one out of the 76 catalogue that you have.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-17-2010 at 12:47 PM.