Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: playing and singing

User Info Menu

I cant do it!
    In second word i have lost the rhythm!!!
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!

User Info Menu

Ironically, I thought to get into drumming because it's something I could do while singing. I'm a lead for a band when they use a female vocalist, but most of my solo performances are done at places like Renaissance faires, where I'll use drums to accompany my song and storytelling.

User Info Menu

Cool

I've Been A Lead Singer/harmonies Since I Was 6 Years Old...in A Band That Had A Performing Songlist Over 3000 Songs(paly Stump The Band And Hardly Never Lose)and Entertainer,,,i Praise"COUNTRYMAN" Mics Out Of Kansas City Mo For The Best Headset I've Ever Had....playin Kit,i Became Really Fond Of My Drum Machine(Rocksanbe Rollin) So I Could Turn Her On And Turn Myself Loose To Sit In The Crowd And Sing And Joke Around ....you See The Music In A Whole Different Perpective....!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I sing while I play the drums by myself but not for my band. But while we're on the subject of drummer's who sing too and my band...check out my band Phoenix Down...our drummer is the lead singer and pulls it off phenomonally

www.myspace.com/phoenixdownrocks
    www.purevolume.com/phoenixdownunionnj

peace

User Info Menu

Default Re: playing and singing

I am ok with singing, have done it for years. Now, two things:
    When the song is good and my vocal lead is pretty good, no one EVER looks back to see whos singing , they just keep looking at the front row. ( fine, no problem ). But, I always felt that the lead vocals were more effective and better delivered from the front line.
    Having said that, I always find that I have complete control over the song when I sing and play drums. The vocals, tempos and dynamics are right there and its so easy for the rest of the band to fall into the pocket,.

later yall!

User Info Menu

Yes I sing and play a the same time...mostly harmonies for backing vox as I think drummers who sing lead have to be exception to pull that off. I have a good ear for harmonies and like to sing them, its fun.

User Info Menu

I have sang lead and backup while drumming. I try to put lead duty on others who are much better singers!

Have tried headset mics, but much pefer the swing away boom stand over the shoulder approach someone described. The headset catches all your huffing and puffing between songs, if you are not careful, is not hands-free distance adjustable from your mouth, and gets uncomfortable after a while. They also are more fragile than regular mikes.

I also find it easier to stay on key when playing and singing with a guitar or mando than when singing with drums.
    Last edited by =^-..-^=; 06-27-2008 at 08:51 AM.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

If you have good PA gear, a noise "gate" can eliminate incidental noise like "huffing & puffing" and drums bleeding through the vocal mic. I actually don't see how it can be done well without a gate. I play in a Rock cover band and we play many upbeat (150bpm plus) tempos an I never have an issue with huffing & puffing. I've tried all of the top tier vocal mics and have come to rely on the headworn as ts lightweight and attached to a "around the neck" headset witch provides great vocal monitoring and helps block out guitars that are above normal volume. The headset is connected to a headset amp with a volume adjustment so I can set the level I need. Also its very light weight to carry which is key when your hauling around lots of drum gear. Not having to carry around a mic stand is a definite plus. At the end of the day, its just personal preference and my preference is the headworn for the reasons I mention.

User Info Menu

Agreed.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

i just do it to do it

User Info Menu

nice set

User Info Menu

Well me personally... I couldn't sing my way out of real bad trouble. Not so much a concentration issue as I sing tenor, Yeah, ten or twelve miles down the road... Hahh.
    I ran on this vid and thought ya might enjoy these guys.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x7FXp3FHcI
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Nice job for 3 piece!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Nice job for 3 piece!
    Bish-
    Yes sir, I put this vid up for their drummer singin and playin. They've got a couple other vids, Bass player is purdy awesome...
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Only do it for alittle bit of back up vocals or don't do it at all. Pick your drums or singin not both because one will sound bad.

User Info Menu

I've played bass and sang in bands for years. Some of it is good, some of it not so good. But I really enjoy it.

On some songs it helps me keep time on the drums.
    Others songs there is no way!

User Info Menu

sometimes just when i get really into the song but not like backup or lead. I'm not much of a singer.

User Info Menu

it would be hard to play and sing

User Info Menu

ive done, but it is hard to put a mic stand there, its more difficult to play, drummers would have to use the ones that u clip on to ur shirt or somethin, its easy to sing when playing a simple beat but not a fill or a hard beat or somethin
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I do sing bgv's regularly with my guys, but there have been a few times when my lead guy lost his voice and I've covered an entire set. Initially it's pretty tough, but once you've got the lyrics and fills stuck in your head after playing the same songs for two years, it's really quite easy.

User Info Menu

When I first started playing none of my bandmates wanted or were to embarrassed to sing so I said oh well I'll sing and from the start my playing sucked and singing also. My friend said some people aren't meant to sing. I kept at it and he now says, "I'm pretty good and was wrong " I do have bad days though but usually when I sing there's improvment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonDobberstein View Post
    I do sing bgv's regularly with my guys, but there have been a few times when my lead guy lost his voice and I've covered an entire set. Initially it's pretty tough, but once you've got the lyrics and fills stuck in your head after playing the same songs for two years, it's really quite easy.
    Welcome to Drum Chat Jon!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    When I first started playing none of my bandmates wanted or were to embarrassed to sing so I said oh well I'll sing and from the start my playing sucked and singing also. My friend said some people aren't meant to sing. I kept at it and he now says, "I'm pretty good and was wrong " I do have bad days though but usually when I sing there's improvment.
    As with most things CGE, practice means improvement!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Contrary to popular opinion, singing is something that can be learned. Sure there are "natural" singers as there are pianist drummers etc... but it can still be learned, practised, and improved upon. My suggestion is that yo have a musical instrument other than drums that you can ear train with. mimick the notes of a guitar or keyboard until you can mentally find them. Also sing along with Vocalists of different styles. This elps to push your range.

Some great singing rock drummers........guy from Rare Earth, Don Brewer of Grand Funk, Gil Moore of Triumph. Ringo Star

all the best...

User Info Menu

Singing while playing the drums?? Isn't that sort of like Marching and chewing gum at the same time? I do one thing only and that's play the drums.