Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: playing and singing

User Info Menu

Default playing and singing

how many of you do them both at the same time?

-----------------------
    Advertisement

'The Clamp It' is a break-through solution to help singing drummers.

The Clamp It
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I do, but not in any sort of professional way. As in, I'm not a back-up vocalist for the band.

I just sing along in verses and stuff if I'm getting into the song we're playing.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I do backup vocals. Sometimes I do have to simplify what I'm playing to make it all work though.

I was watching Terry Bozzio playing for Frank Zappa on the 'Baby Snakes' DVD - check out the song Punky's Whips, it's insane! Bozzio is playing an incredibly complex song arrangement (with impeccable style) while doing LEAD vocals (again, with perfect pitch and timing), and also posing for the camera ... at times holding the microphone with one hand while playing with the other. And all this happens right after he's just played a lengthy and demanding drum solo.

Oh to be that good.

User Info Menu

I tryed it for awhile and I was good at it,But I didn't really feel the need to sing and play at the same time when my Band (Bleeding Tears Of Tomorrow) got a New Singer...

User Info Menu

I am forbidden to be close to a mic

Keith

User Info Menu

lol its hard for us to get a mic in a good position to me without me wacking it over when im playing or me having to lean just to reach it

our stand isnt very versatile
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

just tape it to the side of your face...that's what I do...lol
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I sing and play...the last cover band I was in, I sang lead on about 20 songs, and sang harmonies/backup on virtually every other song we did (about 90 songs or so)...then I was in a Metallica tribute band for 5 years, and didn't sing at all!!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Cool playing and singing

You better believe it, man! Our guitar group has four guys in it, and only two of us sing (the keyboard man and me), and you need a couple of male voices to balance out six or seven women's voices...of course when I start tearin' up the congas, I focus more on the drummin' than the singin'...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I wish I could sing. I was doing backup on a couple songs and the band took my mic away. They said it sounded like I was gargling peanut butter!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i can sing but cant sing while drumming :(

User Info Menu

I can sing, I can drum. Not together tho.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Im so bad i dont even sound good in the shower!

hehe

User Info Menu

lol...the shower usually makes your voice sound better.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Cool playing and singing

amp--you sound like my "Latin Night" buddy...we weren't singin', but he got carried away and dumped over his conga mike!

13--if I play and sing in the shower, bro', I better make darn sure the drumheads are waterproof!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I used to be a singer ... never had to carry any gear, got more ladies than anyone else, adulation, applause.

But for some reason I still prefer drumming.

User Info Menu

I have done it on & off for years. Just takes a little while for me to get back into it.
    Dave H.

User Info Menu

i just cant do it, i sing pretty well but cant drum and sing. i CAN sing and play guitar tho...strange huh?

User Info Menu

Cool playing and singing

Funky, it seems to me that playin' guitar is a bit more complicated than drummin', but if you say so...

1DB, now I understand why I'm doin' all the lead vocals on the Joy Donkey tour...unfortunately, I now sound like I'm garglin' with Ajax! May have to do some Rod Stewart stuff, bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

it is prolly cuz the only things i know how to play on guitar are quite easy. and basic couting. but when i drum i think in pollyrthms, and singing screws up my feel. idk, just harder for me

User Info Menu

hahah i can do both at once, and do sometimes at home, but never near people, beacuse murder is illegal in Canada :D
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    hahah i can do both at once, and do sometimes at home, but never near people, beacuse murder is illegal in Canada :D
    LMAO

User Info Menu

I'm able to sing and play. It gets a little tough if a more-complex fill comes up. I don't sing, cause I don't have the voice for it, but I physically can.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    I am forbidden to be close to a mic

Keith
    Im in the same boat as you on that one.

User Info Menu

Love to drum, love to sing, a little better at either without the other. So the next question is "headset or mic and boom?" Anybody using a particular brand of headset that either is great or awful is welcome to chime in. I'm hoping to get a decent headset soon. Recommendations?