Thread: Help! For a beginner drummer

User Info Menu

Exclamation Help! For a beginner drummer

Well i just got 5 months playing drums and the no-name cymbals that with my kit are so crappy i want to cry when i hear them ,lol.

Well from you all guys have told me i assume it's better to buy cymbals one by one and buy high quality cymbals...since im young i wont buy the really expensive ones.
    I plan on getting some B8 hats's maybe Paiste Alpha series (If im lucky slipknot edition. :D) Also i got a B8 10'' splash.

Thank you
    Last edited by Martinez12; 08-23-2009 at 09:05 PM.

dave0549jv Guest

Default Re: Help! For a beginner drummer

Welcome! I'm still a new guy myself, but i've already learned a lesson or two. when i bought my kit, i picked up a couple of ZBTs, just to get myself off the ground. well... i decided shortly thereafter that i really hated them... lol.

I'd suggest looking on ebay and craigslist for used ones that are better quality. That's what i've been doing anyway. I'm in the process of upgrading to a full suit of Paiste Signatures, myself. Get something you really want up front, and you wont have to worry about uprading down the road.

but hey, if you REALLY want some ZBTs... i know a guy who's trying to get rid of some!

(psst... its me.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Welcome! I'm still a new guy myself, but i've already learned a lesson or two. when i bought my kit, i picked up a couple of ZBTs, just to get myself off the ground. well... i decided shortly thereafter that i really hated them... lol.

I'd suggest looking on ebay and craigslist for used ones that are better quality. That's what i've been doing anyway. I'm in the process of upgrading to a full suit of Paiste Signatures, myself. Get something you really want up front, and you wont have to worry about uprading down the road.

but hey, if you REALLY want some ZBTs... i know a guy who's trying to get rid of some!

(psst... its me.)
    Well it's kinda hard cause i dont live in the USA so ..lol That's why Ebay isn't the answer for me =/

User Info Menu

type the cymbal your looking for into google and it will bring up loads of sites from the USA that can get you great deals on Cymbals. I know a few but i dont think im allowed to post them
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

My kit - Pearl Export - came with a Zildjian ZXT cymbal pack. The crash was unbelievable horrible and really quite depressing just to strike it at all. After a while I bought a Zildjian Custom K dark crash; it is so nice. I know it is expensive but the difference is incredible. I now have a matching Custom K ride and splash (buying one every six months or so as I can afford it) but still use the original ZXT hi-hats that came in the boxed set. They are fine.
    Steve
    ==================
    visit my drumming blog at
    http://quirkybeats.wordpress.com/

User Info Menu

I would replace your cymbals one at a time as you can afford them with good quality used cymbals. I think the best way to choose cymbals is to go to a retail outlet and actually put a stick to them and see what they sound like. I'm constantly going to the stores in our area checking out the used stuff to see if something appeals to me.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

My first kit was a Pearl Vision and it came with a ZBT pro pack. After 5 months of playing I decided to replace my two ZBT crashes with a Zildjian A Custom and Sabian XS20. I still have the ZBT Ride and Hi-Hats though...They are ok
    If I were you, I would consider buying quality cymbals so you don`t have to replace cymbals again.
    Check out the Sabian XS20s. They are made with B20(the high grade stuff) and they are decently cheap and sound great. Check out my vids on youtube if you wanna hear it.
    You can also look into used cymbals
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I would replace your cymbals one at a time as you can afford them with good quality used cymbals. I think the best way to choose cymbals is to go to a retail outlet and actually put a stick to them and see what they sound like. I'm constantly going to the stores in our area checking out the used stuff to see if something appeals to me.
    Welcome to Drum Chat Martinez!

If you can get to a music store, I would agree with Church Drummer. It is always best to let your ears help you chose your next cymbals. I don't know where you live, but I have had the ZBT's, and my ears were not happy until I found the "right" cymbals for me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Martinez!

If you can get to a music store, I would agree with Church Drummer. It is always best to let your ears help you chose your next cymbals. I don't know where you live, but I have had the ZBT's, and my ears were not happy until I found the "right" cymbals for me.

Well i haven't used that much Cymbals i pretty much stick from what i've heard from other drummers and from what i've heard from the sample's on Zildjian/ Sabian.com

So i don't know what cymbals are the right one's for me =/
    BTW i live in Colombia

User Info Menu

hi just so i could get rid of all my beginner cymbals and just bought the pst3 set for just under £200 so that my drum set sounded decent enough to gig and they sound ok better than zbt's :D so i got them now just have to save up to get some rudes and alphas :D. so if you wanna start gigging just get them and youll be fine :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I got the ZHT pack to get me started and added the china and splash. Not too unhappy with with the hats, crash and ride but the china and splash are like a garbage can lid and coffee can lid respectfully. I use them to hold up the stands.

A little moongel simmers down the crash and ride.

I'll purchase better as my needs grow but the entry level packs are fine for now.

User Info Menu

may i suggest other companies to you?
    such as stagg cymbals. they've been impressing me a lot recently - especially the furia and myra series. they sound great and the 18" crashes only cost about €100. i find them great.
    otherwise the wuhan "S" series is also a great beginner set. they sound much better than the zbt's and cost about €200 for a 3 pc set.
    and also check out istanbul mehmet. especially the traditional, radiant and samatya lines.
    these are all great cymbals for a really reasonable price!

User Info Menu

Paiste Alphas sound pretty nice (I've got some).

They're a fairly low price, too.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

When I first got my kit, I picked up a Sabian B8 pack with 14" hi-hats, 18" crash/ride, and an 8" splash. The crash/ride sucks for riding, but I really like the crash sound. No complaints about the hats or the splash. Actually they sound better today than when I first got them.

The way I see it, B8's and the like are probably the most frequently used line of cymbals by new (and financially disabled) musicians. If you were Sabian, and had THAT much product out there, wouldn't you want to make a good impression?...especially so folks would be curious about how great the top of the line stuff must be, if the "entry-level" is this good. Why I stand behind B8's being quality...but not necessarily unique.

Which is why I picked up an AAX RBDR...awesome cymbal...and it mixes great with the B8's I have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post

(psst... its me.)
    Hers a guy who knows what hes talking about . ( whether he knows it or not .....LOL)

I totally agree with dave.....buy the best cymbals you can up front . When you finally upgrade your set , you wont have to worry about upgrading the cymbals too .

As suggested , you first have to listen with your own ears to decide which cymbals sound good to you .This will eventually come with some time . Then ,to save some $$ , you can search for used on the net .

With 5 months under your belt , I suggest waiting a little longer ,take some lessons and give yourself some time to let your ears get trained to which cymbals sound the best .The ZBT / ZHT cymbals are an entry level cymbal , some guys do like them but its an individual taste thing .

Welcome to the board and goos luck with your search for the perfect cymbal set .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

2 tips: Buy the best possible
    Buy used

User Info Menu

check out some Saluda's that is what I use they sound amazing just go to saludacymbals.com

User Info Menu

I certainly know and understand your dilemma, as I had the same issues with cymbals when I started out 20+ years ago. Bad cymbals can be painful. I don't know what you can get in Colombia, but a local drum instructor I'm friends with showed me some Dream cymbals he picked up for giving lessons, and I thought the sounded incredible and are about half the price of other pro cymbals. I tried some out at the Drum Shop on a trip to Portland, Maine recently (great shop by the way--Chris is a cool guy), and they were fantastic. I don't know if Chris at the Drum Shop ships internationally, but it might be worth a try. Dream Cymbals...I'm telling you, I was well-impressed, especially for the price.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy