Thread: Got my 1949 Gretsch Renown Mahogany parade drum today!

User Info Menu

Default Got my 1949 Gretsch Renown Mahogany parade drum today!

I posted it on the Drumset, Gretsch Discussion thread.

Here's the badge - n - drum!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got my 1949 Gretsch Renown Mahogany parade drum today!

Amazing. I think it's growing hair inside the hole.

Very cool, Kona!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Noice!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Awesome drum Kona! It's a beautiful peice of history!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Identical to mine. I've since removed the gut snares and replaced the original calf skin heads for more contempory Remo Fiber-Skyn. I use as a side tom on my micro-set. It has a gorgous boomy tone with forever sustain.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Identical to mine. I've since removed the gut snares and replaced the original calf skin heads for more contempory Remo Fiber-Skyn. I use as a side tom on my micro-set. It has a gorgous boomy tone with forever sustain.

all the best...
    That's good to hear - thanks.

My drum has what look to be orignal - or just old - wire snares - you know - those crinkly ones. Someone replaced the original head with an Evans PowerCenter (very beat up). The reso head is a Ludwig WeatherMaster (photo) - metal hooped.

I was thinking the same - I will put a Fiberskyn head on it.

I'll leave the snares - they still sound good. I may just clean the drum up - won't refinish I'm thinking. The drum shell is very thin and I don't think I want to undo any screws. I'll wait for advice from the Vintage-Guys on that one. There is one small "separation" crack in the Batter hoop. That will be an easy fix. The drum will stay in the "drum Room" and I will use it..carefully. I saw in an old Gretsch Catalog it was about $32usd new. I bought it on eBay for $135usd and by the time I got it to my door I spent $230cad on it. So given the span of 60 years I'd say I did alright - I got some "round-badge" history
    Gary

User Info Menu

Very nice.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I absolutely love that drum...And $230 for such a beautiful piece of drum history isn't bad at all. You can't put a price on all the smiles you'll have everytime you look at it, never mind playing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I absolutely love that drum...And $230 for such a beautiful piece of drum history isn't bad at all. You can't put a price on all the smiles you'll have everytime you look at it, never mind playing it.
    You're right on the "money" there

It will look nice under the Christmas tree with my Vintage RegalTip 6A and Rogers sticks (never-been-used) I bought around 1971. I'd throw my Muskrat Hat on the drum there too......kinda matches and looks nice. That should make an interesting photo alongside a Reminisce Magazine......with some snow in the background and a nice glass of rum-n-coke I can see it now...I'm going to have lots of fun with this drum.

My neighbour is from South Africa and he was in the Army there 20 years or more ago. He has this ancient brass bugle he "lets loose" on once in a while just for fun. He's told me a few times that he thinks it's the Army marching down the road when he hears me shreddin rudiments on the dw collector snare in my livingroom - fun stuff. When I get my fiberskyn on this drum I'll let him know about it.........

Cheers,

Gary
    Last edited by kona; 08-26-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I've got my 49 Parade drum completely torn down. The parts cleaned up nicely and are in very good condition.

The Mahogany shell is in good condition as well. It could use a refinishing but there are no major dings in it. I would have to remove that badge to refinish and there is no way I'm going to do that.

The drum has a lot of character - not "Rust" character lol. The little metal parts have cleaned up nicely as you can see and they're very sturdy. I'm happily surprised at the quality of the metal - the lugs, snares, and all the tentioning parts.

I'll put a Fiberskyn head on it - should be nice.

I'll post some pix when I'm done.

Cheers,
    Last edited by kona; 08-31-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default UPDATE: Got my 1949 Gretsch Renown Mahogany parade drum today!

I've finished cleaning up the drum and it looks pretty good.

I didn't "restore" it because I didn't want to ruin the Badge

It would have been a nice project to refinish the drum, but it's in good shape and it looks like a fine "Vintage" drum. I did put a new Remo Fiberskyn on it as you can see.
    Last edited by kona; 09-04-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Got my 1949 Gretsch Renown Mahogany parade drum today!

Nice Drum Kona....
    My 1st "drum Kit" Was A Blue Sparkle "ROGERS" Snare
    No Stand So It Sat At An Angle On A Wood High Back Chair
    (I Used Da Back Of Da Chair For My "Cymbal"!!!!!)
    My Other Toms Were Gray Marble Contact Paper
    "Slingerland Parade Snares (wif Snares Off)
    Legs Were Made Of Curtain Rods!!!
    My "Bass Drum" Was The Bass Of A Microphone Boom Stand
    So When I Tapped It,it Came Thru Da Pa!!!!
    Then I Sang.....
    Material Like All 36 Verses Of "What'd I Say"
    Never Sounded So Creative At 12 Years Old!!!!
    BUT HEY,IT WAS DA 1ST $50 I EVER MADE !!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Nice Drum Kona....
    My 1st "drum Kit" Was A Blue Sparkle "ROGERS" Snare
    No Stand So It Sat At An Angle On A Wood High Back Chair
    (I Used Da Back Of Da Chair For My "Cymbal"!!!!!)
    My Other Toms Were Gray Marble Contact Paper
    "Slingerland Parade Snares (wif Snares Off)
    Legs Were Made Of Curtain Rods!!!
    My "Bass Drum" Was The Bass Of A Microphone Boom Stand
    So When I Tapped It,it Came Thru Da Pa!!!!
    Then I Sang.....
    Material Like All 36 Verses Of "What'd I Say"
    Never Sounded So Creative At 12 Years Old!!!!
    BUT HEY,IT WAS DA 1ST $50 I EVER MADE !!!!!

Wow Phrogge! That sounds like a fun time back then. I can picture you wailing out that tune and playin that ist rockin kit! My first was some cardboard boxes from the local ShopEasy grocery store and a pair of $1 (lots of money back in 1961 for a 12yr old) drumsticks. I had fun and thought I had a cool setup with those boxes. Ahhh.....the simple times of the late 50's and early 60's.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I wasn't going to refinish this drum because I didn't want to fool with the badge - it turns out that this badge comes off and goes on really easy. So I sanded it down and took all the scratches and nicks out yesterday.

I left the snares off for now - I like the deep tom sound when there's no rattling if you know what I mean.

Here it is with two coats of Tung Oil. First experience with Tung Oil.....nice stuff.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Amazing job Kona, really brought that drum back to life!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Good Job Kona, looks awesome, is this a show pc or added to collection, or played with? not sure what i would do...there was an old Rogers marching drum on Ebay a short while ago, and for a split second i was temped..but chickend out..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Good Job Kona, looks awesome, is this a show pc or added to collection, or played with? not sure what i would do...there was an old Rogers marching drum on Ebay a short while ago, and for a split second i was temped..but chickend out..
    I bought it because it was made in my birthyear and thought it would be nice to have a Gretsch drum from long-time-ago - haha.

I have my kit packed away because of room renos and I just have my Valjes set up for now. I do play a snare to keep my chops up though.

I'm completely immersed in my new find this weekend......a Gretsch 1961 kit including Zildjian cymbals. This project will keep me going for a few years I think........but what fun!
    Gary

User Info Menu

Kona thats awesome to have a snare THAT old... yes i kinda know how you feel, i believe that the older you get the more cherished the older things become. as they say, they just don't make'em like that anymore..good luck with the Gretsch set..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Just wanted to post a quick link if you are interested

[link removed]

Its a 1920's gretsch snare drum on CL in the DC area. If you are interested I can go check it our for you in person. :D
    Last edited by drummer; 02-17-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Ebay and Craigslist ads are not permitted in DrumChat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummermike58 View Post
    Just wanted to post a quick link if you are interested

Its a 1920's gretsch snare drum on CL in the DC area. If you are interested I can go check it our for you in person. :D
    Thanks - ya I saw that one too - cool looking badge. Thanks for the "check-it-out offer - nice of you.

I am at the end of buying old drums for a while now. It's the 49 drum I wanted because - like I said - it's my birthyear.
    And ..........I am totally blown away by my new find........the 61 3ply Gretsch - the shells had to be made in 58 or before but the kit was bought new right here where I live in 1961. I'll be cleaning and haunting eBay for parts for years. The funny thing is I've been looking for drums like these for decades and lately on the internet and always the drums were too far away to check out so I'd just look and say "some day." Well - that "some day" was last weekend via Craigslist right here where I live! The seller's dad - who owned the drums until he died a few years ago - was named Gary too coincidentally.

I know - this is a marching/drumline thread (sorry) but I just thought I'd sneek this little drum story in...........it's all about drums anyway
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I posted it on the Drumset, Gretsch Discussion thread.

Here's the badge - n - drum!
    Sweet drum ~ remember it was designed for calf heads...dont over torque it w/ plastic heads.. "be gentle little grass hopper "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    A good option for the Batter head...since custom tucked heads are nearly a dead art in the states, is the Brazilian goat skins, mounted to skin wires w/ a channel lock system. They look like cheap Asian drum heads, but are natural skins w/ some light weather proofing treatment. If the OD of the head fits the Remo...these should fit as well. I do not recall the name of the Brasilian company but a good drum shop would know. Some Etthnic drum stores supply drum skins from Pakisstan & Africa with or w/o the hair Frame drum heads are often from these sources. Although not as nice as Amroco skins from Chicago ( Chicago had all the skins & raw hides before plastics drove they old imigrant craftsmen away & out of biz ). Plastic heads require perfect round shells,& level edges to sound right, but these ( Brazilian ) skins are reasonably even mounted to the skinwires and will also skrink fit to the drums slight irregularities. They rebound feel & tone will spoil you too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Kona thats awesome to have a snare THAT old... yes i kinda know how you feel, i believe that the older you get the more cherished the older things become. as they say, they just don't make'em like that anymore..good luck with the Gretsch set..
    HMMMM ? What to do w/ my White covered Swivomatic era Script logo 10" concert tom ( have salvaged the lugs for my timbales ) It could function as a Timbale voice for such a kit as yours ! Maybe one day we'll cross paths & barter parts ?

User Info Menu

Hi
    I keep this drum tuned down pretty much all the time because I took the snares off and was using it as a tom for a while - it's mostly a keep sake = made in my birth year. I do like to play it now and then.

I could tuck new calfhide heads easy enough. I bought some from Rob Cook last Dec and tucked my 58 Gretsch kit (toms&snare). It turned out great. I tucked the calf hide onto wood hoops. I ordered the flesh-hoops unglued so I could custom fit them to the shells.

I refinished it in Tung Oil - MAYBE.

AND - speaking of Tung Oil - I just bought a 6lug 60's Gretsch snare on eBay a few weeks ago. The finish was half off.....oh - that's for another thread.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    Sweet drum ~ remember it was designed for calf heads...dont over torque it w/ plastic heads.. "be gentle little grass hopper "
    Last edited by kona; 03-31-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Nice I like that you didn't over clean or polish the hardware. Still has a nice patina to it.
    Pditty