View Poll Results: take the endorsement?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah! take it and run with it, DD!

24 68.57%
  • you better keep those DW's DD, they might be worth someting!

4 11.43%
  • just get a custom snare, DD!

7 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: poll: take the endorsement?

User Info Menu

Default Re: poll: take the endorsement?

Well if it was cymbals,sticks, or drumheads (things you can break) I would say yes. If your DWs are what you want for sound why switch? Unless you need different kits for tours/music videos, or they promote the hell out of you, Id stay stick with the DWs.

User Info Menu

Watch out with custom company endorsements. A lot of them are just out to sell kits. Building a drum set costs them about half of what they sell them for, so the discount you get is still putting money in their pocket. In this particular case, Shine is a reputable custom maker, I've heard nothing but great things about their drums. However I've seen other no-name, garage-op custom builders post on craigslist about endorsement deals just so they can sell a few extra kits that they can't move. It doesn't take much to start your own drum company these days, just make sure you're willing to stand by their stuff.

User Info Menu

i am not taking this particular endorsement. these people want to only give me a 4pc. kit for a very expensive price. yes everything would be custom, but i think i can go to another company and get the exact kit that i want for the right price.

i thought about having them make me a couple add on drums, but they cant match the finish and can tone match the drum. i tried to come to several conclusions but they just didn't want to give me what i wanted.

User Info Menu

DD, I just saw this thread, and I think you showed great wisdom. Just remember that you have worked hard to make your name as a drummer, and when someone wants to use that name as an endorsement you should be sure, as MarkP said, that it is something that you would be proud to lend your name to. Your name is important, and if Shine has discovered you, so will others. You're a solid guy DD!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    i am not taking this particular endorsement. these people want to only give me a 4pc. kit for a very expensive price. yes everything would be custom, but i think i can go to another company and get the exact kit that i want for the right price.

i thought about having them make me a couple add on drums, but they cant match the finish and can tone match the drum. i tried to come to several conclusions but they just didn't want to give me what i wanted.
    aww man dude that sucks and that is very stupid that you cant get more than a four piece thats seriously bad buissness in my opinion
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Cool Re: poll: take the endorsement?

DD, don't ditch the DW's just yet...have you taken the time to seriously research this company? If it's a name you're familiar with (outside your encounters with the people trying to sign you up), it could work nicely for both of you. If you've never heard of the brand, you have no guarantee that this company will be here today AND tomorrow (although I would hope your endorsement and your killer playing would encourage people to try this brand !).

It's a Catch-22...they may not get the sales until they get endorsers, but at the same time they may not get endorsements until they're selling more drums and gaining a higher profile.

And as PB hints, would you play these drums even if you weren't endorsing them? Have ya seen or played any of this particular brand?

It seems to me like you've made up your mind up to a point, bro', but don't pull the trigger until you've done your homework. Hope it works out for ya, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

DD, I bet you can't wait for DW to endorse you.
    - Zack

dave0549jv Guest

speaking from experience, a 4 piece isn't quite the thing for covering up beer guts... you did the right thing

User Info Menu

Can't you get just a custom snare or something?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Can't you get just a custom snare or something?
    i thought of that, but my DW snare is a custom, 10 ply maple snare. the only thing i would be doing is changeing the finish. it just didn't seem worth it to me.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: poll: take the endorsement?

Ah My Son....
    Glad That Wisdom Has Prevailed.....
    There Will Be Others Along The Way....
    Love What Ya Play,,,,,

"Back In Da Day",,,,The Sun Set And Rose
    On Rogers Drums To Me....
    I Decided That I Wanted Chrome Drums....
    Rogers Only Made Dyna-sonic Snares In Chrome
    But For $500 A Drum,they Would Be Happy To Custom
    Finish A Kit For Me.....I Love Their Snares But
    I Couldn't Find A Practical Reason To Spend $5000 Just On A Finish..
    Not Counting Cost Of Da Drums!!!!!
    Then Slingerland Came Along Wif A"Concorde 11-N" In Chrome Finish
    (with Cases Included) For $3500!!!!!11 Drums ....
    I Even Traded One Of Nine Dyna-Sonic Snares(still In Box)
    For A Maple 1960 Slingerland Black Diamond Pearl Snare!!!!

Sometimes You Play What You Love,
    Because You Love What You Play!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I'm glad you came to a conclusion Damage, and good call man. I think the first time they said no to something i asked, it would have been easy for me to make my decision. Also, i think it's awesome that you have been asked and turned it down, good for you! ha ha it's kind of like stickin it to the man you know? ha ha!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

DD- sounds like you made the right choice brother. It's not like you are playing a tinker toy kit right now! My thing is, we all want the best sounding gear we can get our hands on...well, you already have that! So wait for a company that you really want to work with to give you a good offer.

And at least this way you get to stay with the brands you know and love!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!