View Poll Results: take the endorsement?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah! take it and run with it, DD!

24 68.57%
  • you better keep those DW's DD, they might be worth someting!

4 11.43%
  • just get a custom snare, DD!

7 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poll: take the endorsement?

User Info Menu

Question poll: take the endorsement?

So it as finally happened, because of the big stir my band is causing right now, a custom drum company has hit me up for an endorsement deal. They have given me some very good offers on entire custom kits, as well as custom snares and custom floor toms. And this stuff is nice people, I can choose anything I want, and have it custom made. Yes, I will have to pay for the custom drums, but they are thousands cheaper than what a non-endorsee would get them for. The cache: My DW's will have to go in order to pay for the custom endorsement kit.

I am asking for the poll of my very trusted drumchat community. This is very important to me so give it a little tought, do I take the endorsement or keep the already awesome custom DW's?

thanks!!
    --DBL D--
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 08-27-2009 at 08:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: poll: take the endorsement?

I would have to make the choice on how emotionally attached to th DW's you are,Do the custom's measure up and is it the best choice for my future with this endorsement(will it effect other possible endorses)! I am excited for you and you recent sucess, way to go! Sorry I don't have a vote for you.

User Info Menu

FT seems to have covered all the major points. However, I would say try it for a few reasons.

1) each time you change kits, you learn what you like or don't like most about your ideal sound and how to get it (not talking head and cymbal choice here, obviously)
    2) you can probably grow as an endorser of a smaller custom company (if they stick around) and get to know them well. unless you are big time, you'll likely not have this opportunity with DW.
    3) you can always go back to a DW in the future, so take the leap!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Great point scott, Well Put.

User Info Menu

well, hmmm... tough call, you love the DW's but what are you feelings on this custom company? obviously it would be really tough to get an endorsement with DW than with a lesser known company.

I'm with Scottie on this, go for what..what do you have to lose? you can always go back to the DW kit if you arent happy

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Go for it, but dont sign anything long term.

User Info Menu

have you tried the company? if you like the drums they are offering you give it a shot! Then if you don't want to risk it you can try one of their snares...

User Info Menu

Do it, If you regret it you can always get some more DW's if cash permits, Don't and you may never have the chance again.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Congrats DD , you do have a big decision to make and llet me toss out another angle for you to look into .............

They want to endorse you and want you to pay a reduced price for their equipment . Were you originally in the market to spend a few thousand on a new set or were you satisfied with your DW's .

My thoughts are .......think long and hard to what you really want....it is nice that someone wants to endorse you but I also think if they really want you bad enough they can afford to give you their drums for nothing .Good luck.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Congrates DD!!! If you like their drums, DO IT!!!

User Info Menu

I work with a guy who used to tour with a well known country star and had limited endorsements with Zildjian. He says he really misses all the great discounts and getting other exclusive opportunities and free stuff because of it. Based on what he says, I would say go for it, as long as their stuff measures up. Don't sell your soul for free/reduced gear if you wouldn't go to bat for the manufacturer. That's my $0.02.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Hey DD, i am kinda leaning towards doing it..you only live once..then as gonefishin says, why do they not just give them to you ( maybe a small shipping charge ) that would allow you to store your DWs...now this will also help the entire band out with exposure that you may not have thought about..can the band help out money wise to keep you from having to sell?? i will vote for going for it..later
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Congrats DD! So here's my opinion on the situation. I had a very similar offer from Risen Drums, they were willing to help me out a TON! And i needed a new drumkit baaaad. So it made complete sense for me to do it. However, the reason why i did is not that i needed a new drumkit, it's because i loved what Risen has done to make their drums the way they do. There are many things about their drums that set them apart that i've loved and it's a company i want to help as much as possible because they are great and i'm a %100 supporter of their product, that's the feeling you should get when you are asked to be an endorsee, cause if you don't feel that way, it's not worth it. The company's not going to be happy with you if you're not pumped to be using their product. It's sweet to be able to say you're endorsed, but in the long run, with the music business, this isn't a must have per say. And of course, (disclaimer) this is my opinion. Stay in touch brother!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I have endorsments with my companies, my favourite cymbal company, my favourite stick company and my favourite drumhead company. I really believe that if you are after something for free, or for the sake of having the kudos of a 'hallowed endorsement', then you are much mislead.

If I didn't get Zildjian cymbals or Vic Firth sticks, or Remo heads, or DW drums though an endorsmeent - I WOULD BUY THEM!! I did before endorsments, and if (God forbid) I lost them all, I would buy them again, at full price if I had to. I love those companies. To my mind, that is the most important thing.

The absolute bottom line is, what can you do for the company? Drum and cymbal companies don't have bottomless budgets to fritter away on people who want free gear. It's about what profile you can offer them!!

Let me mention an example. I have had the great honor of lately playing with a fantastic singer of high profile. We recently did a show here in the UK called Top Of The Pops, shown on Christmas Day and New Years Day at primetime. Per minute, on the highest watched TV day of the year (Christmas Day) advert revenue is something like £80,000 per minute!! I was playing drums with all the gear and logos in shot for 3 and a half minutes, on both days. That's 7 minutes of prime advertising to nearly 20 million viewers. You're looking at £560,000 ($1,100,000) worth of advertising to a huge, largely impressionable audience.

I have been lucky that I have played some great gigs with some world class artists, and given exposure wherever I've been able (I love the companies and am proud to fly their 'flags').

It honestly has nothing to do with how good a player you may be, or how fast your singles are. It's all about marketing and how much profile and exposure you will bring the company.

Can I ask why you are going for this endorsment? Is it to raise your profile or theirs? Do you love their drums, or is it that you're flattered they asked you? The key to endorsments is SUPPORT!! That's what they exist for!! When you travel to Europe/Asia/Australia, are you going to be able to get spares when things go wrong??

BY THE WAY PEOPLE, THEY ARE NOT ENDORSING YOU!!
    (They're not saying, wow, check out this drummer)
    YOU ARE ENDORSING THEM!!
    (You are saying hey make great gear!!)

Hope some of this makes sense...

MP
    www.markpusey.com

User Info Menu

I don't think I'ld do it bro.You know you love the DW's and you know what you're getting out of them.

Can you say the same thing w/the possible endorsment kit? It's probally a standard 2yr endorsment (I'm guessing) so your gigs and recordings will all be on there drums for 2 yrs anyways.You cool with that?..

I have a cpl endorsments and passed on a custom drum endorsment.Do some thinking and weigh out the good and bad and use your head. Don't get all caught up in the endorsment thing, just think about you and your playing and make the right choice for you, not just to be endorsed.

User Info Menu

May I ask who you're endorsed with zzzdanz?

MP
    www.markpusey.com

User Info Menu

Hey Mark, I have endorsements w/soultone cymbals and Vater..now if only Yamaha would give me a call

User Info Menu

MarkP, regarding DD's endorsement deal,, VERY WELL PUT...you obviously have that experience under your belt..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: poll: take the endorsement?

Congrats DD!!!!!

Heres Thought One:
    What Do Their Drums Sound Like?
    Dont Endorse Crap For Sake Of Endorsement
    (Been There,Done That,Been R-e-a-l Dissappointed)
    However...If Its Worth It (Do They Cater To You As A Phriend,
    Or,just Another Player?Are They Willing To Satisfy You At Yer Beck And Call,or ,Do They Just Want Their Stuff Seen Nite After Night??)

Thought Two:
    Do The Drums (and Finishes For That Matter)
    Meet Or Exceed Yer Expectations....?
    Do You Believe In Their Product So Strongly That You Would Play
    Their Drums(forget Yer Dw's For A Second When Ya Think About This)
    Even If They Weren't "Cuttin Ya A Deal"???

I See Drummers Change Endorsements Like Shirts...
    " I Lub These Drums(for Now)" Is No Reason...

Thought Three:
    Make A List Of All Da Pros And Cons
    Everthing You Can Possibly Think Of...
    If Da Positives Outweigh Da Negs,,,,
    Then You Might Have You A Brand New Endorsement
    If Not,,,,,The Experience Can Only Teach You How Not To Be In Postion
    For Da Next Time.....Weren't You Lookin For A Kit When Ya Found Yer Dw's???

Besides All Da Giggin And Record Deals & All Dat "Big Time"
    You Should Be Able To Sock Away Some Dimes So You Can Buy Anudder
    Kit....Look How Many I've Been Thru....And I Aint Got Nuffin But Drums In Storage,Drums To Play Out,and Da Glory Of Hearin Myself About Once A
    Week On Da Radio!!!!!!.....(Pm Me Jerry If Ya Wanna Discuss Further...)

Please Let Us Know Of Yer Decision....And Why ....
    That Might Be A Lesson In Itself To All Yer Phamily Here....
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 08-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I wish I had this problem ! Hmmm...what to do.... However, there are some really good advise here. Sounds like they would get more out of this than you will. So, if I had your problem, I would negotiate to endorse their custom drums with no money out of my pocket. I wonder how difficult it would be to break out of the contract, if say, DW comes calling ?

User Info Menu

I really can't give an advice to ya Jer but I will say I happy to see you guys getting noticed. You guys have an awesome sound and in this congested world of metal I think you guys have a lot originality. I hope you guys hit it HUGE. BTW when you tour the East coast yue have to hook a brother up.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Other than a discount on Drums what does the endorsement entail? Do you get to do tours, and clinics, etc. Or is it just a use our kit, and we'll put your name on our website deal. If you like the drums, and are willing to have your name associated with the company because they make a quality product you can stand behind go for it. I would make sure you like their product and are willing to use it for the duration of the endorsement period before you make the plunge. Good luck!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I read every single response very carefully and I must say wow everyone, I am very impressed by all of the great advice that has come out of this thread. The drum company is Shine custom drums, and I have not yet signed any kind of contract or deal with them, they have only contacted me about a possible endorsement. I do like their stuff a lot, after going trough the gallery and looking at their work, and it seems like their finishes are endless.

I am Still having a bit of a hard time with this because all 3 sides of this poll makes very good points. I do love my DW's but I do need someting a little bit more spread out to cover up my 220lbs of beer belly!( kidding kidding!) but it would all be all for show. The better I look, The better chance I have of being recognized and made public...thats what I have been working for since I was a kid.

The kit I have now is awesome, but someting better would be spactacular. See where my decision is split?? I am not really into what brand name is what anymore, if I could completely customize how the drums were made (type of wood, ply structure, port holes, etc...) and with the right heads, I could make any drum sound like the highest end kits available today.

I have picked out alot of specs for this kit (as some have requested in a pm), but I have not chosen the ply amount for a coulple drums yet nor have I chosen a finish. I will update as this possible deal progresses.

thanks for the support of my fellow community, keep those suggestion postings coming, I really need all of the advice I can get.

--DBL D--

User Info Menu

i got an email from shine about an endorsement, so i called and talked to an artist relation rep, and they were supposed to call me back, but never did. i had money saved up and everything. i eventually blew the money or other stuff.

User Info Menu

I'm not going to vote because I have multiple opinions, but would just like to make some points...

like other people said, buy based on how attached you are to your DW drums and how good you think the custom drums sound

Also I think that maybe, if your are endorsed by the custom drum company, they will probably offer you discounts for other items in the future. Decide you need a new snare or tom or something you will be able to get it at a discount still probably