Thread: Pork Pie lil' squeller snare

User Info Menu

Default Pork Pie lil' squeller snare

I got the 12x6 with an evans g1 coated and I absolutely love this snare it has that nice crack sound, but can still ring out if need be. I picked it up in flat black and its awesome looking and sounds great. Played with it today at practice and wow what a difference with the guitars around. Highly recommended.
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pork Pie lil' squeller snare

Pork Pie makes some really nice snares, I play one myself.

User Info Menu

got the same one and i love it. the only thing about it though is sometimes i throw my stick at the snare so it flips up in the air and i can catch it went it comes back down and its so much harder to do on a 12 inch than a 14. lol

User Info Menu

Your snare is one of the one's on my "list". The 12 x 6 size appeals to me as I used to have a Pork Pie 13 x 4 and loved loved loved it. I like my stock Sonor 3007 14 x 5.5 OK, but it doesn't have quite the crack of my old Pork Pie.
    thanks for the info. Congrats.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Niiice..I just bought the 14x7 Maple and am absolutely loving the sound. I've finally found it's "voice" after a few tunings.

User Info Menu

congrad on your new snare brother
    enjoy

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

if you play reggae/ska/punk/metal the lil squealer is a perfect match. I have the maple satin black 12x5 and love it.Has Killer rimshots and cutting high pitched crack that I've been looking for.I use it as my main snare and wont be chaning it.Keeper

__Paiste__
    14 signature dimensions light hihats
    16 Alpha rock crash
    18 Alpha rock crash
    18 Alpha medium crash
    20 Alpha Power ride
    18 Signature Full crash(Cracked)used as second ride
    __Zildjian__
    18 Zbt china
    __Sabian__
    10 AA metal-x splash
    __Peace Drums__
    5 Piece Marauder (Mahogany Shells)
    PDP 402 Double Pedals
    Evans onyx heads,Evans EMAD 2
    __Snares__
    14x5 PDP Snare
    14x5 Peace steel snare
    12x5 Pork Pie Little Squealer Maple(satin Finish)
    Reggae-Ska-Grind-Rap-DNB

User Info Menu

bought a used 6x14 squealer in beechwood, was a little concerned when i found out ,(after i sent payment), that it was manufactured in Taiwan, then felt a little better about it when i discovered how many fine drums by major manufacturers come from there. still, i was concerned about the quality of construction and most importantly the bearing edges, that is, until it arrived.

after a few runs at tunning it sounded great, sensitive and rich if a little ringy with the stock head, (i'd like to get an evans ec1 reverse dot on there).
    solidly constructed to pork pies spec. great dunnett strainer, gorgeous mahogany finish.

played it at high volume with a very loud guitar and it sounded great, nice and fat, without being abrasive.

couldn't be more pleased.

and though i probably wont buy it i cannot help eyeing the cherry bubinga 7x14, with sig. on ebay.
    Last edited by onegourd; 05-05-2011 at 08:56 PM.

User Info Menu

i also own the snare, i put a remo black suede head on it, i crank my heads, and with a coated ambassador it had a little toooo high pitch to it, putting the black suede on it gave it a darker tone, it loses very little sensativity, but im a hard hitter, and ghosts still come through well. still loud as hell, and has very nice overtones that cut through very well.
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

alright i'm gonna try this once more with apologies for my endless edits on a previous post,(i can get a little compulsive

anyhow i recently purchased a used 6x14 beech squealer at a very reasonable price. and in spite of some concerns over its Taiwanese manufacture and the lack of detamore's signature, this is one beautiful snare, quality construction,with crisp edges, a very nice dunnett strainer and a lustrous mahogany finish.

with some fine tunning this drum sounds just great w/stock heads, if a little ringy. i took it to task accompanied by one very loud rock guitarist and it was the perfect foil for heavy blues hard rock, and with an appropriately dryer head i think it would be plenty articulate for jazz. medium loud, fat and woody, i could not be more pleased.

now if i can only keep myself from buying a 7x14 PP cherry bubinga (not a squealer), i eyed on ebay.

User Info Menu

Pork Pie makes some GREAT snares! Thanks for the review!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Greatest snare, to me, the 7x13 vented maple little squealer
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I hope Pork Pie is as good as everybody talks about. I just ordered my BOB Porky !!

User Info Menu

I've heard great things about their squealer snares. Glad you're so happy with it, there's nothin quite like finding a sound that's 'it' for you. Congrats on the score, gourd.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Did you know Tim "Herb" Alexander, when he was in Primus and before he scored his full endorsement with Tama, used to play Pork Pie Drums? Found the interview here somewhere in my collection of Modern Drummer magazines.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Pork Pie lil' squeller snare

Ive heard great reviews on them.Id love to have one of those squealers!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
    I hope Pork Pie is as good as everybody talks about. I just ordered my BOB Porky !!
    You will not regret it by any means.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I owned the Little Squeeler when I first bought the kit that I own now. And played the snare live at many shows, and always had complaints of it being to loud (acoustic and at festivals!). So I quickly sold it for $80. Looking back now, I wish I would've kept it as a second snare for ghost notes.

User Info Menu

+ 1 on the 12 x 5 black satin maple

I've had mine for quite a few years and love it. Used it as my primary for most of it's life with me.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com