Thread: Should I take lessons

User Info Menu

Default Should I take lessons

I want to really get better at drumming. Just recently I am fed up witht eh guitar and bass that I have been playing for the last 15 years, and want to get into drumming. I have been messing around for about a year but never actually learned the instrument. I have been looking at You Tube videos etc. but I was just curious what you guys thought about me taking formal drum lessons. I have a place right next to where I work so it woud be convienient. Just looking for feedback, and what benefits I would get from lessons. Thanks

Nick

User Info Menu

Default Re: Should I take lessons

First of all lessons are an outside view of you and that always helps, And lessons also give you a direction or goal to work towards. Yes lessons are a good idea! F/T

User Info Menu

Nick, I take lessons and I would recommend them because of my own experience. I find that I progress faster while taking lessons, and when I come to the end of a long work day my accountability to my teacher encourages me to sit down and practice even though I might be tired. Lessons also prevent poor habits from keeping me from progressing. I spent a year out of lessons, and during that time I got lazy in my grip of the sticks. My current teacher noticed it right away and has helped me correct my bad habits. She told me that if they were not corrected, I would never be able to acheive the speed that I would need.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You should definitely take lessons. No question.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yes, take lessons. It's always good to have someone watching over what you're doing, guiding and encouraging you.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Here is a You Tube link that shows pretty much where I'm at. The fills suck but I was just messing around trying new stuff. The example of what I was talking about with the bass doubles and my high hat is apparent in this video during one part< check it out,,Feedback is appreciated..

Don;t mind the weird sound comments at the end I was in a weird mood...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibdc_AsFz4M"]YouTube - Beginner drummer needs feedback. Not sure what to work on![/ame]

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Nice video. Even though i've never had a lesson in my life i suggest takeing lessons. I've read where people here like PB among many others are takeing lessons and their drum skills are comeing along much better. I only wish i could take lessons but i live in a small town where musicians are few and far between. Obviousely nobody here gives lessons so i'm pretty much on my own. If you have the oppertunity to take lessons take them and i say that not based on your video...that's my advice.

User Info Menu

Lessons if you can...absolutley. There's really nothing I can add from what's already been said so I will just agree
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Not bad at all Nick. You should be very proud of yourself for the work that has gotten you were you are in that video. It's obvious that you have the desire, and if you can do it, a drum teacher will guide you so that you improve faster.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nick ,not too shabby for being self taught . Lessons will definately do a lot for you that a U-Tube video cant .

I suggest taking some lessons to get a professional opinion and assessment of your technique and show you correctly how to play so you dont pick up any bad habits .

Best of luck.......nice set too .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I am starting lessons on Saturday. Thanks for the input...

Nick
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    I am starting lessons on Saturday. Thanks for the input...

Nick
    Sweet........you'll be glad you did ,good luck on lesson #1 .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Good luck with the lessons

User Info Menu

I echo PB's comments about accountability. Sometimes I need motivation after a day's work.

Good luck with the lessons and you definitely made the right choice!

User Info Menu

Wow, man, you're doing really good for self-taught but it's a wise move to start those lessons. I always say that the best value you'll get out of lessons is having someone watch your technique and correct the things that may cause injury down the road (like slouching and using nothing but french grip). Good luck! Can't wait to see an updated video after you've had some lessons.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Had my first lesson today and I already have noticed the benefits. He gave me some exercises to do to help with my independence and I am learning to read. He said he would like me to learn but most people don't want to bother so he was happy I chose to do it.

He also stressed counting out loud when I'm practicing and after the practice session I just had I can see why. Those in between kicks on the "ah" are much easier to ingrain while counting. I never counted before because I dodnt understand the notes. Very exciting stuff..
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    Had my first lesson today and I already have noticed the benefits. He gave me some exercises to do to help with my independence and I am learning to read. He said he would like me to learn but most people don't want to bother so he was happy I chose to do it.

He also stressed counting out loud when I'm practicing and after the practice session I just had I can see why. Those in between kicks on the "ah" are much easier to ingrain while counting. I never counted before because I dodnt understand the notes. Very exciting stuff..
    That's great news man! I am happy for you, also good choice on wanting to learn to read!! It has helped me knowing how to and I'm sure it will help you too!!

Keep at it!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

if you have the time, gas money, and freedom of your schedule to have access to a good teacher id give it a shot
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments