Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can any help with drum practice ideas

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can any help with drum practice ideas

If you're able to, get yourself a digital recorder and record your practice sessions..especially when you're practicing to a metronome, you'll get a whole new perspective on how you really sound.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I'm an old newbie drummer. I like the Tommy Igoe series - Groove Essentials 1 & 2.

Kind of expensive, but they come with CDs, music books, and DVDs. Also include drumless tracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    There is a very inexpensive book (around $12 or so) called The Drumset Musician by Rick Mattingly and Rod Morgenstein. This book is great! It'll teach you to read drum music and give you a million different beats to practice. It also comes with a music CD that has some exercises as well. Get the book and a metronome and you'll learn a lot.
    A quick thanks for this reply as the book and cd have arrived and they are exactly what I was after. Loads to follow in the book and the cd shows how it should sound. Picking up new stuff everytime I'm at my drums. Feeling more confident and even squeezing inore practice than I used to. You learn the beats and fills and then play along to the songs on the cd, not rocket science but there us not much of this sort of book out there( not that I have found anyway). Thanks again

DTJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jajo View Post
    I'm an old newbie drummer. I like the Tommy Igoe series - Groove Essentials 1 & 2.

Kind of expensive, but they come with CDs, music books, and DVDs. Also include drumless tracks.
    Thanks, I will have a look at this.

DTJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davetedjack View Post
    A quick thanks for this reply as the book and cd have arrived and they are exactly what I was after. Loads to follow in the book and the cd shows how it should sound. Picking up new stuff everytime I'm at my drums. Feeling more confident and even squeezing inore practice than I used to. You learn the beats and fills and then play along to the songs on the cd, not rocket science but there us not much of this sort of book out there( not that I have found anyway). Thanks again

DTJ
    No problem. Glad you like the book. It's what I am learning from as well except I am not trying to teach myself, my drum teacher gives me assignments out of the book and alters it a bit based on what we are working on.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

been using a dvd called 'bass drum secrets' its been real helpful so far!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    rudiments
    yes agree with ya here...
    It may seem boring but it is the best for you.
    Also you know how in your fist few years in playing, for most of us I'm sure, when you get drum books and you skip the accent and hand coordination exercises coz you wanna play some rock beats? Accent and hand coordination exercises are very good! These should be done at the start when you sit behind your kit. Not only is it good because it becomes a routine, but it also loosens up your muscles. Once these are mastered you can try them over your drum set. Or e.g. instead the left and right hand strokes, try change this to two different drums. Once you become expert at these type of exercises... it will open ideas in your playing and you will become better at improvisation. But... don't forget to just jam and play whatever you want from time to time