Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can any help with drum practice ideas

User Info Menu

Default Can any help with drum practice ideas

Hello everybody

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I have owned my drums for about a year and have progressed slowly considering the time I have available to practice. The ever helpful YouTube videos have given both inspiration and advice.

Like many on here I do not aspire to be in a band or even to perform publically, but just enjoy the time I get at my kit. This however does not mean I am not serious about my playing. The time I get at my kit is irregular and at times infrequent so I am not able to take up any formal lessons at this time.

My question is how do I make the best use of my limited practice time.

Can anybody suggest any good DVDs or Internet videos I can follow. I am keen to read music and not just learn a song to memory. I am thinking about practice of the basics, beats and fills plus moving on to some easier playalongs before moving to more complicated stuff.

I am hoping there must be some great ideas out there. All the good drummers started somewhere and you all didn't take lessons.

Thanks in advance

DTJ

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can any help with drum practice ideas

Well Dave , Ted , Jack .....first let me say welcome to DC .

An inexpensive idea would be to play along with the radio .Change the station from rock to country to jazz or what-ever else is on and this will not only help keep things from getting boring but also help to make you better by being a diversified drummer open to different styles .

Also , doing drum rolls in your spare time, start in the middle of the snare and slowly move to the edge and keep the tips as close as possible with-out tapping the other stick .

Im sure others will also add what works for them , good luck with your next practice ,and when time does allow you the chance ,private lessons will do wonders keeping you from picking up and learning bad habits
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Davetedjack (you have got to explain that username sometime )!

I am in the same boat with you. I want to be able to practice the same amount every day, but my schedule is so varied that I have to take the time when I can get it. The worst part is that sometimes I am so tired at the end of a day that I am tempted to skip practicing in favor of crawling into bed and going to sleep. That's when my lessons come into play. I have to be accountable to my drum teacher, and that drives me to put in practice time every day. Some days I will practice longer than others, but at least I am covering the basics of what I need to do every day so that I get the recency and frequency that is required for the muscle memory to develop.

If you spend some of your time here, we'll make sure you get plenty of encouragement!

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

id just talk to the people here to see what they do
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

DTJ, welcome to Drum Chat.. there are numerous drum lessons right here on DC..i am currently practicing one myself..and like the others have said..start with simple runs, riffs and fills and pratice til they become second nature..thats what i would do..enjoy this forum..its GReat!!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

DTJ, welcome to DC!! Lots of great advice on here already...ask anything, there are more helpful people on this forum than anywhere else!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    DTJ, welcome to Drum Chat.. there are numerous drum lessons right here on DC..i am currently practicing one myself..and like the others have said..start with simple runs, riffs and fills and pratice til they become second nature..thats what i would do..enjoy this forum..its GReat!!

Hi martym which lessons are you following?

User Info Menu

Hey DTJ, i really like the " fake double bass w/ Glen.. its cool and i have never done this before..i am finding it a little tough as i have been away from drumming a long time and have to get that timeing down..this will help.. Dave explore lots as i will..and remember one at a time bro and everything WILL fall into place..enjoy
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

welcome to drumchat davetedjack, almost forgot!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

There is a very inexpensive book (around $12 or so) called The Drumset Musician by Rick Mattingly and Rod Morgenstein. This book is great! It'll teach you to read drum music and give you a million different beats to practice. It also comes with a music CD that has some exercises as well. Get the book and a metronome and you'll learn a lot.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

rudiments
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

I have always mixed practice sessions with rudiments, roll and "flash" and free beats. Then I put on the headphones and track a mixture of rock, blues and 3/4 work.

The big problem I have with ONLY tracking recorded music is that a drummer leads and drives his band; when playing to recorded music he (or she) is FOLLOWING an established beat and the band.

That is the reason I try to play free-beats and practice my breaks, even if it gets a little boring. Rudiments are the basics of all drumming and the foundation of your musical skills on the "kit".

Kansmacker

Project-Green-Destiny Guest

Sincopation excercises. Plus, rudiments, rudiments, rudiments. If or when you have the rudiments down, split your body in half and learn your rudiments with right hand right foot, then left hand left foot. THEN, right hand left foot, and vice versa. Also, look into linear patterns. They help build independance between limbs. Somethin I have gotten into here latetly which opened up a whole new rythmic world for me. OOoo ooooo, another is doubles. Right hand doubles and left hand doubles. I make up sincopated rythms that have alterating right and left hand doubles. Wow, there's lots of ideas in this ole head.

User Info Menu

pick up a drum machine or a keyboard and practice what you hear. some of the better keyboards have many practice rhythms in a variety of styles. im learning the samba!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I just started taking lessons. The one thing that has helped me the most are the independence exercises he gives me. Try hitting the kick on the e and the ah rather than on the 1 and 2 or the and.

Play 8th notes on the hihat 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
    While doing that try hitting the kick on he ah of 2 (1 and 2 and ah 3 and 4 and
    the same can be done on the e of any note (1 and 2 and 3 e and 4 and
    Try hitting the kick on the e's and ah's. It has helped me free my self up tremendously. Now I'm just trying to get my left foot going independently. For me independence is key. Do any variations of the above as you can and you will notice almost an instant difference in your drumming.

Nick
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    There is a very inexpensive book (around $12 or so) called The Drumset Musician by Rick Mattingly and Rod Morgenstein. This book is great! It'll teach you to read drum music and give you a million different beats to practice. It also comes with a music CD that has some exercises as well. Get the book and a metronome and you'll learn a lot.
    Thanks
    have ordered this book from amazon, will let you know how I get on with it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies.
    Looks like rudiments are the way forward. Gonna try working on those breaking it up with free playing of different beats and fill. I'm trying to avoid going fast, just concentrating on getting it right.
    Still looking for a music book with a drum free CD to play along to.
    Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davetedjack View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Looks like rudiments are the way forward. Gonna try working on those breaking it up with free playing of different beats and fill. I'm trying to avoid going fast, just concentrating on getting it right.
    Any suggestions?
    You dont need a CD.....theres an internet site that has the music and all you need to do is fill in the drums . I cant remember the site ,I think it may have been posted on here a while ago . Maybe someone will remember the link .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thanks, anybody know the site before I spend hours searching on google

User Info Menu

Whether you use a site or not, playing along with music you already know is a great way to get some chops. When I was first starting I used to park a big boombox on a shelf aimed at my head, crank it up and try my best to follow along to the drums. Even though I was very much into a certain style of music back then (metal, hardcore, punk), I made sure to use all sorts of songs, and different styles. I had to start out very basic at first (kick drum and snare only), then slowly incorporate hi-hat, basic fills, etc., until I felt at ease using all of my limbs at once. Never took a lesson, which is both good and bad in the sense that good - I learned how to play more from feeling, which lends to a certain passionate style and creative things that aren't necessarily based in theory and fundamentals. Bad in the sense that it took me a lot longer to really get my chops up to snuff, and even to this day I'm a little lost on a lot of the terminologies and specifics of drumming in general (from a technical standpoint). I may be able to do a 7 stroke roll, or a quad but I honestly just learned what those were by name not too awfully long ago. When I did, I said, "Ahhh.. so that's what you call that." lol
    My Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6 piece (1 up, two down, 1 not used); Pearl 12" Porkpie Snare; Sabian cymbals (except the Zildjian 20" med. ride); Evans EC-2 heads all around with G1 resos; DW-8002b double pedals.

User Info Menu

Any suggestions?
    The book you ordered comes with a CD.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies...
    Drum Bum has a site with tons of drum play alongs (books/cds/dvds) if you're interested. The name of it is.... um,.... www.DrumPlayAlongs.com

User Info Menu

hey how long should i be practising ....every since i start school i can only play for like an hour a day ....is that good to play for one hour

User Info Menu

powerbomb i'd say more never hurts but I try to get in at least an hour a day. I usually get 1 hour and a half or 2-3 hours though if i'm lucky. As long as you use your time constructively though 1 hour could be fine

User Info Menu

yeah just dont have time that much so im like ahh