Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Preferred Drum Sticks

I'm curious as to which drum sticks you all like to play with as I've recently begun buying a bunch of different ones just to try them out.

I've mostly stuck with nylon tipped Vater 5A sticks but recently discovered the ProMark Joey Jordison signature sticks. I'm not a huge Joey Jordison fan, but I love these drum sticks! Even so, I'm still buying new ones all the time to try them out, so I'm curious as to what everyone else is using.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: Preferred Drum Sticks

well my first pair was a set of stagg sm5a .. there sticks alright .. but I have a coupple pairs of zildjian dip's and I love them what they have really told me is I definatly want something other than a straight wood handle this ones dont fly out of my hands when I play.

User Info Menu

Promark 7a or vic-5b haha im not picky
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

I used to use Vic Firth SD9 Drivers, but I recently switched to Vic Firth X5Bs, I don't like to switch my sticks around too often because I become used to the weight and feel after a while.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth 7A's...I like the thin feel in my hand - it allows me to use more speed when im travelling around the kit, and I generally get a better feel in my hand.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Pro Mark TX5ABN or Vick Firth Extreme 5AN. Like Scott i don't like to switch sticks either but either one of these suits me just fine. Of the two my favorite is the Vick Firth pair.

User Info Menu

I'm using the Pro Mark 818. I think it's just a 5A with a slightly different tip.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth 5AN. They work as well as a drumstick can in such unworthy hands.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I started with Vic Firth 2BN, but I wanted to try Pro-Mark 5BN's, and thats what I got. Took a little getting used to, but I like them a lot

User Info Menu

I think I've settled on Zildjian super 5A's wood tip. Relatively on the cheap side price wise and yet still lasts a long time.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Vater 5A Nylon-Tip.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Vater 5A Nylon-Tip.
    My choice as of recently, too!

They bring my cymbals to life.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i use vic firth 5A sticks

User Info Menu

I use the cheapest I can find...currently the SPs @ 6 prs for 20 bucks. I use 5A nylon tips, however. I like the crisp hits on the cymbals/hats and its not too thin and not too heavy. I would say my average breakage is 1 stick per practice. I'm not sure thats good or bad...how about you folks? In reading some of the posts on this thread, the Vics seem to be a popular brand...I think I will try them...

User Info Menu

Danny Carey sticks...like 8.99 a pair, but there thick and feel very very good in your hands.

I personally fell in love first time I used them. I recommend you give them a try.

User Info Menu

Hi All - My first post!

I use Vic Firth 5A and bounce back and forth between Nylon and Wood tips depending on the room / gig requirements.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat sqadan! I use either Zildjian DIP 5A's or Vic Firth 5B's. More so the Vic's recently though. The DIP's seem to break on me.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I use Pro-Mark Mike Portnoy!

Absoloutly great sticks! Give 'em a try!

Alex

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

i use both 7a's and 5a's pro mark or vicfirth what ever they have in stock
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I would say my average breakage is 1 stick per practice. I'm not sure thats good or bad...how about you folks?
    That seems excessive. I play from 1 to 3 hours every single day and have been using the same ProMark Joey Jordison sticks for about 3 weeks now. I have little nicks from the cymbals but I don't imagine these will be breaking anytime soon. Before that I was using the same Vater 5A sticks for like 3 months. The Vater sticks are still in good condition, I'm just partial to the ProMark sticks right now.

User Info Menu

i dont really like signature sticks to much but i wanna buy a pair of the dom howard signatures cause DOM's THE MAN !!!
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    i dont really like signature sticks to much but i wanna buy a pair of the dom howard signatures cause DOM's THE MAN !!!
    My decision to buy the Joey Jordison sticks actually had nothing to do with the drummer. I just grabbed a bunch of different sticks and that happened to be one of the pairs. When I first held them I thought to myself, "oh, crap, I just wasted $8" but after actually playing with them I fell in love. I've tried to introduce some other folks to them but everybody that holds them hates them. LOL!

I also grabbed some Zildjian Travis Barker sticks on that same trip. I liked the feel of them but they only come painted, which sucks. I started playing and then I noticed a bunch of white scuff marks all over my kit from the friggin' paint. I trashed those sticks quick.

User Info Menu

I've played Regal 7A nylons from the start. Fast, light, well made and with modern miked drums, no need for a heavier stick.

Kansmacker

User Info Menu

Ive been using Regal sticks for the past 30 years. I use nylon tips because I prefer the response and sound from my cymbals .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sqadan View Post
    Hi All - My first post!
    Welcome to Drum Chat sqadan!

I started with Vic Firth sticks - 5A and 5B. The I experimented with 7A and 2B sticks, and finally picked up a pair of ProMark 5A sticks and found my sticks. I did try out the Zildjian Dip sticks in a 5A, and it's not too bad, but I always come back to the ProMark sticks. I just like the finish of the sticks - not too heavy on the lacquer finish - and it just feels right to me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!