Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying 1st Drum Set - Hours of Reading - Need a little help/confirmation

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying 1st Drum Set - Hours of Reading - Need a little help/confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    It's not like you are going to get taken for a ride paying by $350 for a Pearl Forum, Ludwig Accent, or Tama Swingstar.
    Yeah, LOL. Even at $400 for that set, I wouldn't cry about it. Plus I'm guessing it won't drop in value by 50% tomorrow--unlike my SUV.

I might check it out tomorrow if nothing else interesting pop up and if it's still around.

Looks like the set of mutes is about $50 or so at Guitar Center, so it's nothing major.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I can't wait to have my 1st set so I can start bugging you guys for ideas, upgrades, etc.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying 1st Drum Set - Hours of Reading - Need a little help/confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRed View Post
    I can't wait to have my 1st set so I can start bugging you guys for ideas, upgrades, etc.
    Believe it or not RR, we're looking forward to helping you along. People here have helped me a lot too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Some great advice here. Everything I would've said has already been mentioned, but I have one thing to add. Unlike some previous posters have said, I think it's very important to get a good set of heads to go with your drums. If you have to keep the stock heads initially, then replace them as soon as possible, not wait for them to wear out. A good set of heads will make any kit sound hundreds of dollars better than it's worth. It'll be between $100-$200 for a set of heads depending on the size of the kit.

Welcome to Drum Chat and good luck!
    Matt

User Info Menu

We're very pay it forward here. I'm on the prowl for my 2nd kit and have gotten tons of feedback and guidance.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Sounds good. I think the heads can come within 2 months tops. Since I'm a beginner I think this is acceptable.

User Info Menu

Welcome RebelRed, hey just looking at the advise you already had its hard to add to it, i will only say as a beginner if you find a decent brand in a 4 pc set that had some decent cymbals that would be a start..if you can get it to a 5 pc so be it.. and new heads can make a difference too.. of course i would recomend Aquarians.. and again welcome...enjoy the music
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Finally got in touch with the guy selling the Ludwig (birch) set by me. I'm feeling drawn to this set, so I'm going to go over there and see it.

His $390 price is firm (might be why it's been re-listed on CL for a bit, who knows). Anyway, I'm going to end up buying used cymbals for the Pearl set and I think this 5-piece is better. And it has throne/hardware, which is a plus.

We'll see, but I might be officially a drum set owner today.

User Info Menu

Good luck! Pics or it didn't happen.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

All the best RR! Hope it's everything that you hope it is!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I've got a meeting set up with the owner in about 5 hours. Can't wait.

I talked to the owner and he said the set was originally bought from a production company that was going to use it in studio, but the company went bankrupt right away.

Can't wait to hear it. It's either something like this for $390 or a tinker toy set brand new for $350. hmmm

I will need to buy the cymbals for this set (he has some used ones for sale too), but it has everything else (hardware, throne, etc).

User Info Menu

Sounds like you might be on the right track RR. Can't wait to hear how it goes. I remember the moment!

User Info Menu

Hmmm..... so far I am leaning towards the Ludwig Accent kit if, in fact, it is Birch. I am not sure about the cymbal stand mounted to the bass drum and dead in center (unless perhaps used for a splash cymbal), but nonetheless I think it is a fair price for a Birch kit. Furthermore, the Super Kick II bass drum head is one of my favorite choices and runs an extra $30+ so you can also consider that (if in decent shape, of course).

I know it says $390 firm but I would be willing to bet that he would take $380 for sure considering its been posted for a month. Then, keep your eye on craigslist for additional cymbal stands (PDP, Pearl or SP) for around $20 each... easy. Lastly, buy nicer cymbals/hi-hats used (again on Craigslist if possible so you can see the condition in person) for around $50-150 each. You should be able to find some Zildjian A's or Sabian AA/AAX used in that price range.... even if they are a bit smaller (14-16" crashes..... 20" ride.... 13-14" hats). In this price range they may not be brand new looking used pieces but they dont necessarily need to look shiny clean for a good sound. Rather, make sure they are not cracked and/or keyholed. I would take a seasoned Zildjian A or A custom used over new ZBT/ZHT/B8 or whatever else is in that price range any day. One exception (IMO) is the Paiste Alpha series.... for being an entry level cymbal pack they sure sound half decent.

Good luck.... and like others have stated - feel free to list your findings as we are happy to help out and give you some honest advice.

Edit: Sorry... I didn't realize you were this far along as I only ready the first page I guess when I decided to post a reply. Let us know if you pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Sopranos; 10-11-2009 at 01:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't wait to hear how it goes! The birch Accent would definitely be a great deal at that price.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Hi guys!

Weekends are usually packed for me, but I wanted to give an update.

drum roll please . . .

I bought the Ludwig set pictured on the first page. :D

Took a couple pics myself, but can't find my card reader (great, something else to buy again).

Even though I can't play I messed around with them and had the owner demo. He has a double bass set and another Yamaha set so I figured he knew a little.

These indeed are the Ludwig Accent CS Custom black lacquer drums. So I'm a Ludwig man now.

No cymbals with the deal, so I'm hitting eBay this weekend for a used hi-hat set (thinking of Sabian B8 first, then Zildjian ZBT if not). I also picked up some Sound Percussion drum mutes (except the bass drum), so it helps a lot.

Set specs:

Toms: 12x10, 13x11 and 16x16
    Snare: 14x16
    Bass: 22x18

Also got the hi-hat stand, which is Ludwig.

Bottom line, I like the sound and feel comfortable behind the set. Just need to start practicing and learning now.

Thanks for all the feedback and other posts here. It helped A LOT! I felt like a pro going to the look at the set.

User Info Menu

Hi guys!
    .Set specs:

Toms: 12x10, 13x11 and 16x16
    Snare: 14x16
    Bass: 22x18
    thats a pretty big snare man
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

hahaha

No no. It's about 6 inch not 16. LOL

I think the official size is:

6.5 x 14

Yeah, my snare takes up the floor to the ceiling.
    Last edited by RebelRed; 10-10-2009 at 07:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Great to hear, man! Hope you can get your card reader so we can see the pics! Lol.

Congratulations on buying your first kit!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Congrats RR! That set will definitely serve you well as you learn.

Just so you know, there's a Drum Chat tradition. Without pics it didn't happen, so get that card reader going!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Congratulations RR! I know you and your drums are going to be very happy, and with those mutes, so will mama!

Feel free to ask any other questions as you begin your drumming. We are here to help!

User Info Menu

Also, show us your progress - I love to see/hear a beginner actually get better on their journey. If you have the means, capture some audio or video soon so you can track your progress and look back to see how far along you come.... and, of course, share it with us as we are happy to help with some constructive feedback.

Rock on!

User Info Menu

After church today, I'm hitting Guitar Center for a tuning lug thing (my first lesson in drum ownership). The guy had one for me, but I forgot to pick it up off the couch and I'm not driving back there. Good excuse for me to hit GC anyway.

And there's a Fry's right next to it, so I'll get my card reader for pics!

I have a Blue Snowball mic that I use for recording audio, so I can set it up by the set and see what happens. Watched a video on YouTube that sounded good and the guy was using this mic to record himself. Just need to experiment with positioning.

I should record right now as I'm just doing the basic 1 yawn 2 yawn 3 yawn 4 on the bass drum.

User Info Menu

i think the best set you could get for that price is one of the gretsch sets like the black widow or yellow jacket(I think thats there names). i have seen them for sale for like 400 and that leaves you some room to search ebay for some cheap medium cymbals and maybe some heads while your at it, hope this helps
    Sabian-Remo-PDP

User Info Menu

After church today, I'm hitting Guitar Center for a tuning lug thing (my first lesson in drum ownership).
    That would be a "drum key" RR (and you can never have too many, because they do seem to disappear from time to time). Now that you have begun your drumming journey, we have to have you talking the talk. Soon you'll even be walking the walk!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That would be a "drum key" RR (and you can never have too many, because they do seem to disappear from time to time). Now that you have begun your drumming journey, we have to have you talking the talk. Soon you'll even be walking the walk!
    Hmm...I have had the same drum key since I started playing.......
    Matt

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's been said, but you should get some lessons ASAP. Even before you get your cymbals. There are plenty of basics to master and things to learn before you even need to sit behind your kit.