Thread: Pork Pie "Big Black Bob" Review

User Info Menu

Default Pork Pie "Big Black Bob" Review

As many of you may know about a month ago I picked up a new Pork Pie “Big Black Bob” Black Chrome over Brass 6.5x14 snare drum. I got this fantastic drum on sale from Music 123 for $191.99. The drum now sells for $239.99. My all time favorite snare is my Slingerland Chrome over Brass 6.5x14 1981 drum. That drum features an extended 15 in snare that crossed the entire snare head and is truly one of the very best ever made. Because of it age and sentimental value to me that drum stays home. I wanted a brass drum to play with my Sonor Force 3007 kit that would complement the awesome sounds of the Sonor kit I decided to give the “Bob” a try. Nothing wrong with the Sonor snare but there is just something about a brass drum that just sings.

Over the past month I have played out with this drum several times and I have experimented with several tuning styles with complete success with every experiment. From tight to a loose tuning this drum produces and it looks great doing it. The tuning I have decided to use is a medium tuning that produces a tight center strike full bodied snare sound and when played near the rim a wonderful sensitive over ring sound. Yes many of you don’t like a drum to ring but you are truly missing a dimension of a drum sound you should learn to enjoy and use in your music. Keep the “Moon Jell” off your snare, your kit too if you want your drums to sing with all the sound they are designed to produce.

It is amazing how even this drum is to my beloved Slingerland. I have read many a review of this drum compared favorably to the Ludwig Black Beauty and though I have not played a Black Beauty in some time I consider this a great complement to the Pork Pies ability.

Bottom line is if you are thinking about a brass drum you need to have the “Big Black Bob” on your list. And at a barging to boot.

Thanks for reading
    J4F Drummer
    www.j4fmusic.com
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pork Pie "Big Black Bob" Review

I'm glad you're happy, and great review! (this thread may get moved though...)

User Info Menu

The Shell and Lugs etc are supplied by a company called World Max,Pork Pie add the Badge and drum heads..I also have a snare from them it is the exact replica of what you have with the World Max badge..They also supply OCP and SJC amongst others with shells and i agree it is an amazing snare..I replaced the snare wires with a Puresound and it sounds awesome with medium tuning and the snares loose a small bit..I get a nice fat sound with a bareable ring..sweeeeeeeeet....Great review by the way..
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you're liking the snare! I'm seriously considering getting one of these eventually.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Nice review rriter, but then, IMHO you've just got to love a snare called "BOB!"
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

steel5blue Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    The Shell and Lugs etc are supplied by a company called World Max,Pork Pie add the Badge and drum heads..I also have a snare from them it is the exact replica of what you have with the World Max badge..They also supply OCP and SJC amongst others with shells and i agree it is an amazing snare..I replaced the snare wires with a Puresound and it sounds awesome with medium tuning and the snares loose a small bit..I get a nice fat sound with a bareable ring..sweeeeeeeeet....Great review by the way..
    Worldmax Black-On-Brass snare drums are also known for having placed high in several Snare Drum Olympics (under their own brand "Black Dawg" 5", "Black Hawg" 6.5" etc.). I use an undrilled shell of theirs in one of my Pearl free floaters, my favorite for louder live gigs.
    Getting the Bob for under $ 200 is an absolute steal, about a third less than the original. You'd be hard pressed to purchase the unassembled parts for that amount. Good score and good review!

User Info Menu

I absolutely LOVE mine! For the money you will not find a better sounding snare drum!
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I just purchased this snare on Ebay for 150 in great condition. Can't wait to hear it. Great review!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat rosslava!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ahh this snare is one on my list haha along with a cob genekrupa for some brushwork
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

i tried one of these yesterday at GC...i dunno if its just the nature of the drum i just happened to play or what but it didn't have that loud tight pop that people have been saying it has...i really had to dig into it for the volume and it sounded really loose (thinking the snares were loose)...i was more impressed with the Tama Metalworks snare actually

User Info Menu

Great review, and glad to hear you like the drum!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

If it sounds anything like my Black Magic... you gotta be a happy camper!
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed