Thread: Zildjian Crash of Doom

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Crash of Doom

I am considering getting the Crash of Doom and I was wondering if anyone owns one or has ever played one. They dont have one at my local store, so I would have to order one without ever hearing it in person, and i would hate to get a $300 cymbal and hate it. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Crash of Doom

Hello NICKT! and welcome the the DC. I am sorry to say that i have not heard of this type. but...and there is always a but, since you are going to pay retail for this cymbal, i would strongly suggest hearing it live! not just a sound bite on computer. good luck.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Ah yes, the Crash of Doom. Several times I've considered buying it just because I like the name. However, I don't think I would be able to find much use for it. It's pretty expensive, and tt's technically a sound effect cymbal, and sounds like an enormous (20", to be exact) china crash. If you think you can use a china crash on your set than go for it, but it certainly cannot take the place of a regular crash cymbal. If you tried to use a china crash exclusively instead of a normal crash cymbal I think both the band and the audience would get tired of it very, very quickly.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

yeah, I would use it more as an accent crash, but youre right, since I would be paying quite a bit for it I would probably end up overplaying it to justify the purchase. I have heard it live at a Mars Volta concert and it sounded pretty amazing, but of course I'm no where near as creative as Thomas Pridgen. Thanks for the input!
    Drums: Pearl Forum

Cymbals: Zildjian 14" New Beat hihats
    Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride
    Zildjian 20" K Crash Ride
    Sabian 18" AAX Stage Crash

User Info Menu

Sorry I cant help, Ive never heard of it until now.

Welcome to the board.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

It seems like a cool cymbal. What I would do is get a Wuhan china, say 20" or above. That way you get that china sound, and its big enough to ride on. I have a 20" Wuhan china and its great as a trashy ride. Just mount it with the bell facing up so you have more riding surface.