Thread: Proper Throne Height

User Info Menu

Default Proper Throne Height

In the "barefoot" thread, I touched on throne height. It has been an ongoing debate between myself and Sunbrnt66 for years. I cant rightfully say that I know the answer. I have read and been taught many different things, the most common fact is that your legs should be at near a 90 degree angle. I have found benefits and drawbacks from all positions, as I have tried them all. I am average height and weight, about 5'10" and 175lbs. I use The original Tama Iron Cobras, double chain driven pedals.

What , objectively speaking, are some different theories on this?? (if this is a redundant post , I apologize) . Im obsessed with footwork as of recent , and Im looking for any and all input. Many thanks for your help!
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Proper Throne Height

For years I played at about 90 D at knees but found I like to be a little higher for double bass pedals. just MHO

User Info Menu

I've always struggled with seat height. No matter how much I adjust the height (and I'm constantly adjusting), I can never find the right seat height that feels comfortable.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

For some reason it seems that I have more control, feel and power if I am higher than 90d. More momentum on the downstroke maybe, and less hip movement on the upstroke? I feel more in control.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Well my throne height isn't adjustable, so I'm pretty much screwed over in that area.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I have found that just over 90 degrees is optimal for me, and another thing to think about is how far back from your pedals you are sitting. If you body/thigh angle is a little more than 90, which is I assume what is being talked about right now, I would say you want your knees at about the same angle.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

4th peg in my throne, 5th to high, 3rd to low

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I need to make a youtube movie on this for a proper description, but let's see if I can do it in words.

Most drummers spend a long time trying to find their "comfort zone", which people claim is a very person-specific but obvious position that they find to be a "sweet spot"; a position they feel so comfortable that they're afraid to make the slightest adjustment because they feel it's impossible to be in a better position.

Upon further analysis, we see that this has to do with the length of our legs at different joints. Our upper legs are proportionally longer (phi) than our lower legs, which explains why exactly 90 degrees can be uncomfortable. For a simple and obvious demonstration, put your legs at about a 70 degree angle, effectively positioning your feet below your body. Even if you don't use the heel toe method, try the pattern and observe your knees. (Left heel, Right heel, Left toe, Right toe, (repeat)) As you can see, bringing your heels off the ground pushes your knees higher than bringing your toes off. Now try positioning your feet with your knees at a wider arc (110 degrees perhaps), and do the same thing. You'll notice that now moving your feet has a more drastic effect than moving your heels.

Now I know what you're thinking, "What if I don't play the heel toe technique?" That doesn't matter; because of the dynamics of the muscle groups in your calves and quads, those 2 forces are still opposing each other, even when you're "just" playing heel down, or "just" playing heel up.

For one last test, put your feet in a position where your knees are in an ideal angle (95-105 degrees), and try the same technique. Notice your knees are moving the same distance vertically when you hit your heels and toes. This is the sweet spot, regardless of technique, for double bass.

This is the sweet spot because you are getting perfect uniform power in both feet, regardless of single or double strokes, and regardless of technique.

TL;DR: You want your knees open slightly more than a 90 degree angle, accomplish this by pushing your bass drum away from you and your throne higher up.

User Info Menu

It's usually different for everyone. Everyone's body is different and is comfortable at a different height. 90 degrees is more of a guideline than a rule; a lot of double-bass players I know have it a little higher so they can "float" on the pedals. Then again, look at how low Chad Smith is when he plays. If you're comfortable, you're on the right track.

User Info Menu

I'm 6'2" and my feet flyyyyy when I'm sitting lower.I'm talking 5 gallon bucket low.I have a cpl back surgeries under my belt now so it hurts a bit sitting that low, so I'm on the lowest setting on my stool..close to 90 I guess (and really don't care)

It drives me insane when people tell me *you sit wrong* or *you know you have you seat set wrong right?*....really!?!, I do?..says who?..there is no right/wrong..ppl are different and everyones legs are different.

Sit where it feels good,move the stool up,down,in,out...find YOUR sweet spot, not some un-official *rule* of stool placement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    It drives me insane when people tell me *you sit wrong* or *you know you have you seat set wrong right?*....really!?!, I do?..says who?..there is no right/wrong..ppl are different and everyones legs are different.
    Lol.

Personally I like sitting arund the 95-100 mark. Get the most power out of my legs IMO.

User Info Menu

nice and high... being a fitness fanatic i know a thing or 2 about muscles and anatomy and you can use you ankles more freely the more extended your knee is... thats just how we (humans are built)... but thats not to say having your seat low cant work for you... really its about what you prefer.. over the years my seat has kept geting higher and higher.. its more comfortable for me and i feel i have better control over my feet and balance in a higher position...

my 2 cents...

User Info Menu

I sit pretty high. I've found that you have more power and control with less physical force.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I sit pretty high. I've found that you have more power and control with less physical force.
    See, now I've found the complete opposite sitting high.(on the stool that is).I'm not into lifting my whole leg to play.with my knees a little above my hips I don't have to *lift my legs*, actually they don't move all that much.

Hard to type a good explanation..My right foot moves side to side, swiveling on my toes..kinda like someone stepping on a cig....weird I know!

I don't buy into the *physics* of set-up/technique....If it works, go with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK B View Post
    over the years my seat has kept geting higher and higher.. its more comfortable for me and i feel i have better control over my feet and balance in a higher position...

I'm 100% with you on this. My seat position has done nothing but go up and up and up. I like to be very up on it kit. Everything feels good up there. I'm 100% in command of the kit.

See, now I've found the complete opposite sitting high.(on the stool that is).I'm not into lifting my whole leg to play.with my knees a little above my hips I don't have to *lift my legs*, actually they don't move all that much.

Hard to type a good explanation..My right foot moves side to side, swiveling on my toes..kinda like someone stepping on a cig....weird I know!

Do you exclusively play flat footed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I'm 100% with you on this. My seat position has done nothing but go up and up and up. I like to be very up on it kit. Everything feels good up there. I'm 100% in command of the kit.

Do you exclusively play flat footed?
    I play on my toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I've always struggled with seat height. No matter how much I adjust the height (and I'm constantly adjusting), I can never find the right seat height that feels comfortable.

Man , I have the same problem. I think it has alot to do with my build. And that I started in the kit years ago playing heel down with my single pedal, and switched to heel up when I got the doubles. If I had to pick one thing thats my BIGGEST problem, its findong the rigght seat height and distance form the kick. I am constantly adjusting eother of those. depending on the mood / type of song were playing.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Since I got my new throne last christmas, i found the perfect height for me. My legs aren't at 90 degree angles, as I sit higher on the throne, but t feels the best position for me when I'm using my pedals, and gives me the most stability as well
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

its not always seat height that matters, you need to factor in where you sit on the throne itself. I've learned through several teachers and my own experience that sitting on the edge of the throne and putting your back straight forces everything else to lock in comfortably

User Info Menu

My foot does the same thing! Isn't that a Weckl technique?

Skinny guys also have different options than we more rotund folk. Skinny guys can sit lower and 'fold up' a bit.

I hate skinny guys (not really...well maybe just a little bit...)