Thread: Remo Muffl's Ring Control & replacing heads

User Info Menu

Default Remo Muffl's Ring Control & replacing heads

Hi all, new to the forum.

Is is common to use "Remo Muffl's Ring Controls" on both the batter and resonant head or just the batter head?

would it be advisable to replace both the batter and resonant heads or just batter heads?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Muffl's Ring Control & replacing heads

Welcome to Drum Chat giventodrum!

To answer your first question, the RemO's (I am assuming that we are talking about the rings) are placed on the batter head to control overtones. As to replacing heads, yes, you will replace both, but the rule of thumb is that you will need to replace the resonant heads with every third replacement of the batter heads.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

remO studio rings are the thinner plastic versions and then they also make the muff'l in control ring and total sound control editions, each using foam material. the control rings have cut out donut to mimic the shape of a 1 1/2" circular strip going around the edge of the drum for partial ring reduction, but the sound control ones have an entire foam circle covering the surface of the drum itself for 100% ring control. always replace both heads per drum because they work together to create a full sound result. example- lets say you are on a camping trip, and you have matches, no wood or lighter fluid, and a fireplace. think of the fire the match makes as the sound you make when you strike the batter head, think of the batter head as the match, the drum as the fireplace, and the resonant head as the firewood/lighter fluid. now you can make a small fire and you definitely have the fireplace to make it happen, sure; but if you dont have firewood or lighter fluid, it will never be quite as good of a fire as it can be, and the difference from a small match to the fire you get from firewood with lighter fluid is night and day.. so why not have a big wood fire instead of a little match fire?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

IMO, do not use Muffl's. They will make your drums sound like a cardboard box. Use deadringers instead, they're much better. And I only use them on the top head.