Thread: Apartment drummer help!!

User Info Menu

Default Apartment drummer help!!

hey everyone,

i'm a drummer who is relatively new, and im still working on my chops, here is my problem:

I play in a band that only can practice every other week due to job schedules and college. I have an electric drumset i play at my apartment. I live on the 3rd floor and recently was suprised to find after 15 minutes of practicing some kit chops the person below me was banging on the ceiling for me to stop. After some thought i have come to the conclusion that my bass drum pedal hitting the bass drum pad might be sending a vibration through the floor and annoying the person below me. I want to be a good neighbor and prevent agitation, but i don't want my chops to suffer from not practicing kit.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a way to solve this problem

i was thinking about making some platforms for my bass pedal with some plywood, foam and carpet, but im not sure what kind of foam to get or where to get it and i don't want the foam to squish down when i use the bass drum.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as i want to be a good neighbor, but don't want to lose my kit chops.

Thanks for the time and hopefully good suggestions.

User Info Menu

Oh man, I had that same problem for a while. I tried making a platform, moving the kit, and just about every other thing I could think of. The only solution was to go downstairs and talk to the neighbor to find out when it was ok to practice.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i suggest playing till he/she come up and nocks on your door , then answer the door with ur sticks in hand. he/she will ask you to stop makin such a racket with in which you reply A.) If u want to hear a racket Ill bring my aqustic kit home B) you dont hear me complaining when ur getting it on with ur dog now do ya or C)maybe jus maybe he/she will will understand ur needs when he/she sees the drumsticks in your hand and figures things out. all of the above can follow in after C) from my xperience people here in canada are usually really cool with instruments. but im shure all buddy down stairs hears is some one stompin on the floor not some one practising.

either way maybe double up on your carpet surface
    or try another individual trigger/pad and hang it upside down from the kit frame and use a pedal with a rock plate with some velcro to keep it in place
    if you know what i mean
    best of luck peace out from canada

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lou reed
    i suggest playing till he/she come up and nocks on your door , then answer the door with ur sticks in hand. he/she will ask you to stop makin such a racket with in which you reply A.) If u want to hear a racket Ill bring my aqustic kit home B) you dont hear me complaining when ur getting it on with ur dog now do ya or C)maybe jus maybe he/she will will understand ur needs when he/she sees the drumsticks in your hand and figures things out. all of the above can follow in after C) from my xperience people here in canada are usually really cool with instruments. but im shure all buddy down stairs hears is some one stompin on the floor not some one practising.

either way maybe double up on your carpet surface
    or try another individual trigger/pad and hang it upside down from the kit frame and use a pedal with a rock plate with some velcro to keep it in place
    if you know what i mean
    best of luck peace out from canada

lmao

forget about being a good neigbor.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Find out when there not home.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

mattresses on the walls
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

i live in a townhouse and just use mutes on everything until my neighbor leaves
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

The platform thing would work some. Carpet on the bottom, carpet on the top, basically a 2-4 inch riser, with something inside to kill the thump. You need to separate the pad from the floor to stop the vibrations. You also might try a rubber beater on your bd pedal.