Thread: Nylon or Wood tips?

User Info Menu

Default Nylon or Wood tips?

ive used both over my 7 years of drumming. i played with wood for a long time but then really started to like the sound and feel of nylon tips and played with those for a few years. ive recently started to play with wood again and i kinda like the sound/feel better on kit, especially cymbals. but i like the nylon on street beats and marching snare stuff. anyway just wondering what other people thought about the 2 :P
    lifes too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nylon or Wood tips?

I use wood tips, always have.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

i have wood and nylons but generally end up using the latter cause of the clarity and volume. but its always nice to go with the softer capabilities of wood tip as well.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I, like yourself, switch it up every once in a while. I think what I really like is just the variation so that you're always bringing something fresh to the kit, and tips is such an easy way to do it.

User Info Menu

I played nylon when i first began drumming about 9 years back but all i play now are wood tips, Vic Firth to be exact!

I like the sound of wood over the nylon, and i play lots of jazz so i use a really small round tip often, and i can't find the tips in nylon

Larrysperf Guest

wood, cut up tree,twig branch, but mostly stick with acorn on end

User Info Menu

Wood for me.

User Info Menu

One of each! ... only joking! We have tipped ATM but also wood as spares. I am new so am not sure why but thats what we were told to use.

User Info Menu

It depends. I prefer nylons for their (Generally) heavier feel. (Like my Adrian Young signatures.)

I like wood because they are lighter so I can hit faster.

It's really just a matter of what style of music you play and what your preferences are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hitswthstix13 View Post
    I played nylon when i first began drumming about 9 years back but all i play now are wood tips, Vic Firth to be exact!

I like the sound of wood over the nylon, and i play lots of jazz so i use a really small round tip often, and i can't find the tips in nylon

yeah vic firth!!!! haha i have never played with anything besides vic firth sticks i love them. vic firth 7A or 7AN
    lifes too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerbox55 View Post
    yeah vic firth!!!! haha i have never played with anything besides vic firth sticks i love them. vic firth 7A or 7AN
    i play heavy so i generally use their "rock" sticks. if not those then some variation of their "B" sticks

User Info Menu

yeah see i like to play alot of shuffle with quick fills and little off beat ghost notes so the 7A's are perfect

User Info Menu

Ive used wood tips in the past for marching , but prefer the response I get with nylon tips for the set.

Ive used Regal drumsticks for over 30 years now.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

haha thats funny gone fishin... exact opposite of me! :P

User Info Menu

Nylon.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Nylon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by George's Mum View Post
    One of each! ... only joking! We have tipped ATM but also wood as spares. I am new so am not sure why but thats what we were told to use.
    No problem George's Mum. At your stage, just learn how to hold them properly, and listen to the sounds as you play. Eventually, you will find the sound that you like, and you will chose the type of stick you prefer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!