Thread: Best way to find drum instructor?

User Info Menu

Question Best way to find drum instructor?

I live in Las Vegas and am slowly moving toward getting some lessons going.

Would asking for a reference at Guitar Center be a good move? I did check CL and there's like 3 people on there.

Not really sure what I'm looking for though. Years playing drums? Pro experience?

And what do you consider to be an acceptable rate?
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best way to find drum instructor?

I would find a local music store that offers lessons or find a local musicans newspaper or magazines to look at. You want to find a good fit for yourself so you may not want to settle for the first instructor you find. I'm positive there are plenty of good musicians in Vegas so you shouldn't have to much trouble finding a good drum teacher.

I have found that most of the guitar center employees don't know anything or could care less about instruments so they may not be your best bet. Big franchise music stores usually don't have the highest quality and are only in it for the money. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what kind off instruction you are looking for, but have you thought about contacting somebody in the music department at UNLV? I know that when I was in college, the music dept. set up lessons by some of the more advanced students there, most of them Jr's and Sr's. And the rates were really good compared to some of outside private instuction.

User Info Menu

Hey,
    From experience from being a nine year amature drummer still going at it guitar center is good place for lessons but not for instructors, Guitar Center is mainly, this is my opinion but you don't have to agree if you don't want too.

The Guitar Center is basically a bunch of young inexperienced drug up and bling out kids who want to sell you something with out really explaining what their trying to sell you and make a profit off what they sold to pay off their bills and get into college.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've never been big on GC employees, but ones in the drum department here seem to know some stuff and actually play.

I think what I'm looking for most is just some direction. You know, start with this and then do this and then do that.

Right now I have a lot of instructional items (Stick Control, 4-Way Coordination, Groove Essentials, Learn and Master Drums-12 dvds, and many others). Just not too sure how to put it all together.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

I wouldn't bother talking to the employees at Guitar Center, but if it's anything like the GC near me they should have a table packed with flyers and postcards advertising services, one of which will be drum lessons. Try out a few until you find someone you vibe with and make sure whoever you're going to is someone who stresses proper grip and posture. No point in learning all of that just to injure yourself and not be able to play 10 years down the road.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

RR, I agree that checking with local music stores is a good place to start. Either they might have lessons in store, or they might have a contact for you. I was lucky to find a store with an owner that have been playing drums for 40 years, and he took me on as a student. It wasn't a perfect fit, but I did learn quite a bit. In the meantime, I also became friendly with an owner of another store, and I had encouraged him to consider adding drum lessons to the other lessons that were offered. I had been out of lessons for about a 8 months, when the owner of the store showed me the new drum lesson room that he had set up, and that he had 2 different teachers lined up. To support him, I decided to try out the woman teacher, and I found a real gem - a perfect fit for me. Just remember that when you begin lessons, you are auditioning the teacher too. Make sure it feels right for you, or move on to plan B.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I am looking to play mostly rock music (Christian, so it's not metal or even hard rock really).

So, if an instructor is basically a Jazz player, should I disqualify him? How important is the style of music the instructor has mainly played?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping to keep working my way through stuff I have until after the holidays.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRed View Post
    I am looking to play mostly rock music (Christian, so it's not metal or even hard rock really).

So, if an instructor is basically a Jazz player, should I disqualify him? How important is the style of music the instructor has mainly played?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping to keep working my way through stuff I have until after the holidays.
    I think you will expand as a musician and drummer more if you look into learning all different styles. Rock or christian rock music isn't really that hard to play so you will grow more if you take on more challenging styles such as jazz, samba, blues etc.. I'm pretty sure most jazz drummers can play straight 4/4 rock beats..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRed View Post
    I have found several drum teachers that play multiple styles and the guy that I ended up sticking with can play everything I have ever mentioned to him. I think it's good to have a teacher that has broad knowledge so that he or she can pass that knowledge on to you. I've yet to come across a teacher that says, "I only teach rock beats" or "I only teach jazz beats" but, if I did, I'd disqualify them immediately. Now, just because the person has mostly played jazz professionally doesn't mean that they don't know the other stuff, so just ask.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    I think you will expand as a musician and drummer more if you look into learning all different styles. Rock or christian rock music isn't really that hard to play so you will grow more if you take on more challenging styles such as jazz, samba, blues etc.. I'm pretty sure most jazz drummers can play straight 4/4 rock beats..
    Yeah, I want to expand and learn to play some Latin stuff.

Anyway, I was asking, because sometimes I hear things like "Oh, that DVD is excellent for Jazz players." So I didn't know if you have to find a teacher who specializes in whatever you're starting out with.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Most reputable instructors should give the first lesson for free. Take advantage of it, and decide only after youve met with a few.

User Info Menu

I have a buddy who is a pro drummer in vegas I will email him and get the low down on top teachers for ya.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I have a buddy who is a pro drummer in vegas I will email him and get the low down on top teachers for ya.
    Cool. Thanks.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse