Thread: Multitracking HELP!?

User Info Menu

Exclamation Multitracking HELP!?

Hey guys, my band is about to dive into some multitracking investments, because having to adjust the levels pre recording for one stereo output is getting old.
    If i were to buy something like the behringer ultragain pro, which has an ADAT output.

what would i need in order to hook it up to my computer? or do i absolutely have to buy a firewire interface with it?

im not looking to spend more than $350(strict) for multitracking. I just want recordings for demos and myspace, we have a studio lined up, but want a rehersal studio.

looking for at least 8 channels, hoping for more.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Multitracking HELP!?

You will need a soundcard that will accept that TOSLINK connection coming out of this ultragain unit- and a fibre optic cable as well- don't forget the cables!- in my opinion there are better units that interface using usb/firewire for <$350- the reviews on this unit are ok for the a/d converters, but not so great for the mic preamps

User Info Menu

I am gonna post an Alesis Multimix 16 firewire on ebay this evening. Send me a pm or email and I'll give you the skinny. This is exactly what you need at the price mentioned, basically brand new, and the new models are USB. If you have a MAC perfect, otherwise you would need a firewire card. that's all I will say publicly so as not to be selling on drumchat.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help guys. and CharlyG hopefully ill see yours on ebay. because that would be awesome.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I have an ADA 8000. I sent it to Black lion which then gutted it and put new optamps in it as well as high end capacitors. It is on par with an avalon. The mod is about 300 dollars. Well worth it for the soundnd I am getting.

User Info Menu

Oh and BTW, I am light piping it into my Digi002 ( also modded by black lion ) which gives me 16 awesome inputs.

User Info Menu

that sound awesom nucjd. i wish i had the cash to do some sweet recording gear mods.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Sorry Zeta, got a little side tracked on my post. What I was originally thinking was a lot of people do not like Behringer stuff, but This little ADA is good platform for modification down the road and is cheap to get into right off the bat. The cool thing is there are companies that can really do a number with it and get sound that is just incredible.

User Info Menu

theres a whole bunch of new mixers with 24bit digital output out now..you might want to look into the new yammi range