Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: groove juice

User Info Menu

Lightbulb groove juice

Anyone have any opinions on this Cymbal/Hardware cleaner??

User Info Menu

Default Re: groove juice

Doesn't work well.
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killit3 View Post
    Anyone have any opinions on this Cymbal/Hardware cleaner??
    Welcome to DrumChat Killit3. I haven't had a chance to use Groove Juice yet but look forrward to comments from those members who have. I need an alternative cleaner besides "Braso". Thanks for starting this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Welcome to DrumChat Killit3. I haven't had a chance to use Groove Juice yet but look forrward to comments from those members who have. I need an alternative cleaner besides "Braso". Thanks for starting this thread.

Hey man thanks for the welcome!! but, yeah I've been looking for something different to use and saw this product at the guitar center down the road... thought I'd get some informative non-bias opinions before purchasing...

User Info Menu

I use it, i like it- doesn't produce a big black mess the way those pasty car wax like things do- my cymbals are old though, they have no labels on them anymore (who cares?) and they have no coating or any other finish on them- they do oxidize fairly quickly though, so on occasion i do use that pasty stuff- sometimes i use car wax too, and that gives them some protection against moisture.

User Info Menu

funkyruss, not to go off topic but some drummers feel that cleaning cymbals ruins the tone of a cymbal and they vow never to clean them. What's the debate surrounding this? I've always cleaned my cymbals up when they get really oxided. They sound a bit brighter for just a few days, then I can't tell the difference as time goes on. Your thoughts? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    funkyruss, not to go off topic but some drummers feel that cleaning cymbals ruins the tone of a cymbal and they vow never to clean them. What's the debate surrounding this? I've always cleaned my cymbals up when they get really oxided. They sound a bit brighter for just a few days, then I can't tell the difference as time goes on. Your thoughts? Thanks!
    I totally agree with you- they sound brighter for a few days, then i can't tell the difference anymore, regardless of what i clean with!
    I only clean them maybe 3 times a year-maybe..............

User Info Menu

i would go to the whole effort of cleaning maybe once every 3 years with thinners just to get the top layer of grime off

User Info Menu

My cymbals were in need of a good cleaning and was at the local drum shop a few days ago and the owner was praising this new cleaner he is selling.
    I went for it. $20 for a pint of "Colonel Brassy" an industrial strength hard surface cleaner. Cleans brass, copper,chrome,stainless steele,silver,gold,fiberglass,plastic,porcelain. It did clean the cymbals pretty good with a brilliant shine, but it takes a little elbow grease.
    Last edited by drummer; 12-30-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Commercial Link

User Info Menu

I've not used it, but I have read here that the Sabian cleaner is good. I don't know if it's truely any different then other brands though.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I've used Crazy John's Cymbal cleaner but when I dabbed a bit on a rag, it had the exact consistancy and smell as Braso but it costs more and you get less than if you went and bought a can of Braso. I'm going to try groove juice next time since funkyruss recommended it over the stuff I'm using now. Braso leaves that black gooy oxidation residue that only seems to come off by using baby powder to soak up the goo.
    Last edited by late8; 12-09-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

i use lizard spit ,got it online ,works very good ,,it takes a little rubbing but works great .. but i hear groove juice works well and is very easy to use.

User Info Menu

GJ is great, it's easy to use and by far the fastest I've ever cleaned my cymbals.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I have GJ and the Sabian cleaner. I find the Sabian cleaner when left on for only a few seconds works pretty well to keep them reasonably clean. If you leave on longer you will fade the stencils. The groove juice seemed to want to remove the stencils no matter what. I do like em shiny, but I also like the stencils.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    I have GJ and the Sabian cleaner. I find the Sabian cleaner when left on for only a few seconds works pretty well to keep them reasonably clean. If you leave on longer you will fade the stencils. The groove juice seemed to want to remove the stencils no matter what. I do like em shiny, but I also like the stencils.
    Hmmm, I haven't had any problems with GJ removing my labels. Been using it for years too. How long are you leaving it on before washing it off?

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Really? Maybe I'm confused with another product. I tried different ones and settled on sabian. I will try it again and post the results. gettin older and the brain sometimes...........
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    Really? Maybe I'm confused with another product. I tried different ones and settled on sabian. I will try it again and post the results. gettin older and the brain sometimes...........
    Haha, well I could see GJ taking off your labels if you leave it on too long so you are thinking right. Just a few seconds is all it takes.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Killit3, i have used this product with good results, note: its not recomended for all bronze cymbals as I remember, and don't forget to rinse the cymbal off with water and a dry cloth so as to stop the chemical from continuing to work! and like those that have mentioned before watch how much you do this! i just cleaned up my used purchased cymbals and don't expect to clean all the time.. hope this helps
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

i try to shine my cymbals once a year . i kinda like the brighter sound that i get from a clean cymbal.

User Info Menu

I have used the Zildjian Cymbal Cleaner, and the Groove Juice, and I prefer the Groove Juice. It's less messy, and it is much faster. As RHD said, you don't have to leave it on long at all. Apply, set stand about a minute, rinse well, and then dry. I did read that Sabian logos are particularly at risk when using Groove Juice. Marty is right when he says it's not to be used on cymbals like the ZBT's. It will discolor them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    I totally agree with you- they sound brighter for a few days, then i can't tell the difference anymore, regardless of what i clean with!
    I only clean them maybe 3 times a year-maybe..............
    And cleans his hockey equipment even less so he has to sit in corner all by himself. lol

User Info Menu

honestly, i've worked with all available cymbal cleaners from my local music store (as i used to work there) and the results were so-so with all of them. as far as the debate goes for to clean or not to clean. i vote not to clean. if you hate finger prints or anything on your cymbals you shouldn't grab them :P. i think there isn't so much a tonal difference between dirty and clean, but i prefer the look of a well aged and well used cymbal as opposed to shiny and "never played" looking.

just my .02

User Info Menu

my hi hats and 2 of my crashs ,i bought in 1972,if i hadnt cleaned them in over 35 years ,they would sound like trash can lids . i like the look of a shiny drum set and the flash of the cymbals when you hit them .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I have used the Zildjian Cymbal Cleaner, and the Groove Juice, and I prefer the Groove Juice. It's less messy, and it is much faster. As RHD said, you don't have to leave it on long at all. Apply, set stand about a minute, rinse well, and then dry. I did read that Sabian logos are particularly at risk when using Groove Juice. Marty is right when he says it's not to be used on cymbals like the ZBT's. It will discolor them.
    Well, that's because it's not Sabian cleaner. Sabian cleaners will do that to Zildjian cymbals, and Zildjian cleaner will get Pastey, or is it Paiste? [/sarcasm]
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Well, that's because it's not Sabian cleaner. Sabian cleaners will do that to Zildjian cymbals, and Zildjian cleaner will get Pastey, or is it Paiste? [/sarcasm]
    An excellent point CycleDude! Jealousy and rivalry can be suuuuch an ugly thing!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!