Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On Drum Restoration

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Advice On Drum Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    oh my those look spectacular! one can enough for all the drums?
    Thanks Russ! Wood Stain for the 10x14 Ludwig tom only. Sparkle red wrap for the '67 one up one down kit

User Info Menu

Update:
    Dragon Graphic Woodburn
    After many hours of thought on what my next step would be on the Ludwig tom/snare conversion, I stumbled upon a hobby craft of wood burning graphics. I picked out a dragon tatoo graphic and printed it on a plain sheet of paper to see if the dragon image would fit.

After eyeballing the placement on the shell, I printed the dragon graphic on a sheet of carbon paper and traced the dragon onto the shell. After the image transfer, I etched the outline of the dragon lightly with the woodburner tool. I am in the slow process of filling in the dragon with deep wood burns to have it come to life.

Here's a few pics of my progress:
    Pic#1 Carbon paper transfer medium $14.99 US$ per 100 sheet pack
    Pic#2 Etched outline of dragon
    Pic#3 Detail of dragon's head
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Here's a few more pics:
    Pic#1 Detail of dragon's tail with deeper burns
    Pic#2 Detail of dragon's tail etching
    Pic#3 Full pic of dragon's image on drum shell
    Last edited by late8; 01-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

The Wood burner I'm using was $14.99 US$. There are more expensive woodburners that have better temp control but this particular model has no temp control and has a max heat setting @ 750 degrees F.

User Info Menu

Here a few more pics before I started detailing with deeper burns.Please ignore the time stamp....My camera's a time stamp is a few hours ahead of life.

User Info Menu

now your talking!!! burning a dragon into your drums!!! you cant get much cooler then that!!! you must have thought to yourself... "what is the most awesome thing i could do to anything???" "i know!!! BURN A DRAGON IN IT!!!"

you just scored a lot of points in my book...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK B View Post
    now your talking!!! burning a dragon into your drums!!! you cant get much cooler then that!!! you must have thought to yourself... "what is the most awesome thing i could do to anything???" "i know!!! BURN A DRAGON IN IT!!!"

you just scored a lot of points in my book...
    Thanks Zack!

User Info Menu

I'm loving the dragon custom snare late8! Very creative! You have a great start on what should turn out to be an awesome sounding/looking kit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I'm loving the dragon custom snare late8! Very creative! You have a great start on what should turn out to be an awesome sounding/looking kit!
    Thanks Gretschhead....looking forward to finishing up soon.

User Info Menu

that is absolutely phenominal.. you have surpassed many boundries in creativity, and you are ahead of your time in the world of drum design. i will now worship the ground you walk on and the halo you walk under. i mean i really have no words for the pure level of awesomeness and detail it appears to me when i see an etched design like that flawlessly done. this drum puts ddrum's vinnie paul dragon snare to shame many times over. you get the rusty stamp of approval!
    Last edited by Russ; 01-07-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A couple of coats of clear gloss will really make that dragon pop out too. I had an idea to send a snare shell to a guitar luthier to get some pearl or abalone inlayed, but I'm really diggin on the etching, excellent job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    that is absolutely phenominal.. you have surpassed many boundries in creativity, and you are ahead of your time in the world of drum design. i will now worship the ground you walk on and the halo you walk under. i mean i really have no words for the pure level of awesomeness and detail it appears to me when i see an etched design like that flawlessly done. this drum puts ddrum's vinnie paul dragon snare to shame many times over. you get the rusty stamp of approval!
    Russ, those are some awesome compliments and I'm deeply touched by your passion! It all started with the "Cairo Snare Drum" you created. Having very little resources to spend on my restoration project has forced me to be creative and think of things on a small scale.

The '67 Ludwigs will remain "naked" since my funds have all but dried up and 2010 looks pretty bleak in those regards. Just as a side note, I showed the unfinished Ludwig kit to my boss who is a great musician and unbiased in his opinion of drums and drummers said that with the Ludwig kit bare and unfinished gives the kit character. He used Willie Nelson's beat up old box guitar as an example. What character that guitar has and what a conversion starter the "naked" Ludwigs could be if one were to closely examine what those beat up old drum really are.

Thanks again for the inspiration. You and others here on DrumChat again have given me the drive to tackle things that are way beyond my comfort level.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8yMTQCFLA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8yMTQCFLA&feature=related[/ame]
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

^Too cool....

User Info Menu

Just dropping by to see how you are doing on the set. Looking good so far. I think leaving the drums natural is just fine.
    If you could get all the drums stained the same and use the dargon snare with it. What a one of a kind set.
    You could even burn some other mythical creatures on the other drums or the same dragon. Triple glossy clear coat those and man!!!! even the old war wounds will look cool if you have them sanded good.
    Last edited by VIbes; 01-07-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thanks for stopping by Vibes. I appreciate the advice. I like your suggestions and I will add tons of clear coat to the '67 Ludwigs after some more fine sanding. The dragon tom/snare will hopefully become the snare of choice with this kit, if not, I'll use the Ludwig BB

I gave the dragon eyes; the windows to the soul...
    Last edited by late8; 01-08-2010 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

like your style!! it takes a certain amount of confidence to put an etching pen to a musical instrument...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK B View Post
    like your style!! it takes a certain amount of confidence to put an etching pen to a musical instrument...
    Thanks again Zack!

User Info Menu

Update:
    Dragon drum ready for clear coat

I finished burning in the rest of the dragon and blended in some lines. I'll go over the drum with fine grit sand paper before applying my first coat of clear.

Here's how it turned out:

User Info Menu

Here's one more pic:

User Info Menu

Great woodburning skill late8! That came out beautiful, so I can't wait to see how it looks under the clearcoat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool man, If you burn anything on your other drums make sure it is on the side that shows from the front. So it can be appreciated from those looking from the front or visually appreciated. I am sure you know that, but I have done things without checking twice and ...... yikes
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Great woodburning skill late8! That came out beautiful, so I can't wait to see how it looks under the clearcoat!
    Thanks Pastor Bob. This was my first attempt at woodburning. I sat and looked at the drum for several hours this morning and decided that the Red Mahogany stain was too dark for my personal taste so I stripped the drum down to its natural color so the dragon and my new caligraphy graphic (my last name in Kanji) could "pop" out better. After a few hours of sanding, I was pleased with the results. I now realized I like wood to be in its natural hue.

I think I'm now ready for the clear coat. Thanks for stopping by.

User Info Menu

Wow late8! I agree that the natural wood is going to look great, and the graphics with definitely show better on the natural finish. Great choice!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Here's a few more shots of the drum. With the stain now gone, I like the simplicity behind the graphics.