Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On Drum Restoration

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Advice On Drum Restoration

All finished. Changed eight bent t-rods, changed heads to Aquarian Coated Super2/Classic Clear and the 16x16" floor tom now has a diecast batter hoop. It's got a really nice velvatone sound.

Last edited by late8; 01-03-2017 at 09:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Perfect small classic set up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    All done and looks great late8!

User Info Menu

Now that's a killer set, right there. Calendar material. Vintage Ludwigs with a modern twist and Zildjian K's. I love it. Throw in vintage Speed King and some flat base stands and it's perfection! Well, the DW 9000 is sweet, so let's say just some DW 6000 series flat base stands.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 12-24-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Perfect small classic set up!
    Thanks Doc!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    All done and looks great late8!
    Thanks Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Now that's a killer set, right there. Calendar material. Vintage Ludwigs with a modern twist and Zildjian K's. I love it. Throw in vintage Speed King and some flat base stands and it's perfection! Well, the DW 9000 is sweet, so let's say just some DW 6000 series flat base stands.
    Thanks Brian! Sorry about the delay in responding. While working in the garage to wrap this project, I caught a cold and have been sick since Christmas Eve.

We think alike. DW6000 flat stands would be sweet!

As a follow up, here's the original badge. It's kind of hard to read but the serial number is 359188:

According to the Ludwig, this shell pack was made in 1966:

That means this bent t-rod has been on this kit for 51 years. One of eight I had to replace as mentioned. With new hoops and straight t-rods, I no longer struggle to get the kick in tune.

User Info Menu

Absolutely stunning! The work you have done is fantastic and the end product is something you should be proud of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Absolutely stunning! The work you have done is fantastic and the end product is something you should be proud of.
    Thank you so much thunderstruck! That made my day!

User Info Menu

Nice job. I just added another "curve ball" to my own Ludwig project. I picked up 2 more shells today. A 12x8 and another 13x9. Both are B/O badge, 3ply Maple/poplar/Mahogany with re-rings and clear Maple interiors. Date stamped March 1969. I didn't realize all the 12" toms used SMALL classic lugs. With 8" depth, the large lugs would interfere with each other. Now I need to re-think about what combos I want to do.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice job. I just added another "curve ball" to my own Ludwig project. I picked up 2 more shells today. A 12x8 and another 13x9. Both are B/O badge, 3ply Maple/poplar/Mahogany with re-rings and clear Maple interiors. Date stamped March 1969. I didn't realize all the 12" toms used SMALL classic lugs. With 8" depth, the large lugs would interfere with each other. Now I need to re-think about what combos I want to do.
    Sweet! The shells with the clear lacquer finish looks so much nicer than the painted white interiors of the early '60's version.

User Info Menu

Wow....that kit really does look good in that config!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

+1.................gorgeous Rich

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1.................gorgeous Rich
    Thank you Butch! I appreciate it!

User Info Menu

Bumping this up for an update. As I was setting up this kit, I discovered that that the glue gassed up in many areas and caused the wrap to bubble up on all three shells. As I look back, this was totally my fault. It appears I didn't let the glue set up enough on a lot of the areas before applying the wrap. This may be a blessing in disguise. I'm thinking of leaving it unfinished with clear coat of poly. I'll start stripping the shells tonight. What a waste of time and money!

Floor tom:

Rack tom:

Bass drum:

User Info Menu

wow that sucks to see.
    After all the work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    wow that sucks to see.
    After all the work.
    Spaz..I was totally bummed last night. It took a few minutes to sink in but I just wasted $250 in wrap plus another $75 in supplies. Oh well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Spaz..I was totally bummed last night. It took a few minutes to sink in but I just wasted $250 in wrap plus another $75 in supplies. Oh well...
    Trying to stay the optimist.....it's a learning experience. You have valuable data at your disposal for next time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Trying to stay the optimist.....it's a learning experience. You have valuable data at your disposal for next time.
    Thanks Mark but this was the last straw..I ain't doing this again!

User Info Menu

That's sad to hear. I hope you can get all the glue off without damaging the outer ply.

Actually, I know you're probably done with the wrap thing, but taking into account the labor, time and material cost involved in removing the glue and getting the wood back in aesthetically pleasing condition......
    I'd really consider ordering pre-cut wrap from Bum Wrap. I'd install it using double sided tape at the seam. It would cost around $140 to do all 3 shells. By the time you buy sandpaper, clear lacquer, supplies, etc., you'll probably be close to $100 anyway. The wrap on your Exports is only held on by seam tape...it works. Best of all, you can choose an awesome Mahogany fade print or something fun like a Citrus Mod or Oyster reproduction. I have some of their samples, and it's pretty decent quality.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great advice Brian! I'll certainly consider it as an option.

I spent 20 minutes today and found what it's going to take to remove the wrap by just rolling it back from the seam. I'll use a blow dryer for the areas that actually cured.

At this stage, the glue can be rolled off by hand.

Last edited by late8; 09-05-2017 at 10:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, it sucks that the glue didn't work out....but it's also a bit of a blessing at this point. I feel for you in terms of the money you spent, BUT, hey.....they're still vintage Ludwigs. You haven't really lost any value. Plus, they have sentimental value to you as well. More than worth spending money and time on. Especially with your return to a more simplified setup. They're keepers for life. If they were an old set of Taiwan drums, that would be different.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Well, it sucks that the glue didn't work out....but it's also a bit of a blessing at this point. I feel for you in terms of the money you spent, BUT, hey.....they're still vintage Ludwigs. You haven't really lost any value. Plus, they have sentimental value to you as well. More than worth spending money and time on. Especially with your return to a more simplified setup. They're keepers for life. If they were an old set of Taiwan drums, that would be different.
    You're absolutely right. Thank you. My hands ache and my fingers are blistered and I haven't made any more progress since I posted the pics. If the hair dryer can't produce enough heat to loosen the wrap, I'll step it up and use a heat gun on the more suborn sections. My last resort on the bigger shells is to use acetone if I can't get heat to soften up the glue. I'm so "over" this project and the only motivation to move swiftly is the fact that I'm able to pull a lot of it up by hand, If procrastinate, it will mean more work and more risk of pulling up wood.

User Info Menu

Well, it sucks that the glue didn't work out....but it's also a bit of a blessing at this point.
    .........they're still vintage Ludwigs. You haven't really lost any value. They're keepers for life.
    Agree with all these thoughts.
    They looked great the way they were...............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Agree with all these thoughts.
    They looked great the way they were...............
    I have to agree with you Ricky. I thought the wrap would be some added protection since the shells are so thin but by having to remove the the wrap, I risk doing more harm than good. I found a furniture refinishing shop and I'm contemplating having them shoot the shells with some clear lacquer and call it good. I tried doing the spray can Mini-Wax urethane clear coat and used 10+ cans but found it very thin when I sanded the shells down for the wrap.

User Info Menu

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..............I wasn't thinking about the context of added protection.
    Many years ago, I hand-sanded a white lacquer-coated Slingy snare and sprayed the clear coat directly on the naked maple shell.
    It turned out looking like satin more than gloss.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)