Thread: Which mixer?

User Info Menu

Default Which mixer?

okay guys im going to upgrade my bands mixer to a newer one and have been looking at a ccouple, id like it to have usb so i can record live stuff better and was looking at the

Peavey PV 14 USB 14-Channel Mixer with Digital Output and Effects

Behringer XENYX 2442FX Mixer

Yamaha MG166C-USB 16 Channel USB Mixer With Compression

or something around those ranges. let me know what you all think.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which mixer?

Well, I own a PV10 mixer, but without a usb interface- its a good mixer, nothing particularly fancy. I still try to stay away from Behringer stuff, just not convinced of quality. The Yamaha mixer is great- very flexible mixer- 3 auxiliary buses, group outputs. There ya go!
    Russ

User Info Menu

I've owned a lot of Yamaha gear over the years, including one of their powered mixers, and it's always been very reliable. I've also got a small Behringer mixer I bought for home use. It is OK but I do believe the components used in the Yamaha (Mostly the mechanical controls, Pots, etc.) are better in the Yamaha. If I were looking for something for professional use that I wanted to hold up over time I personally would go Yamaha.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

So from the sounds of it everyone would agree that yammie is the way. I own i yammi right now but its old and when i boost volumes with the channel is being used it crackles. I also agree that yammi is the way by far but i wanted to make sure you all agreed.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    So from the sounds of it everyone would agree that yammie is the way. I own i yammi right now but its old and when i boost volumes with the channel is being used it crackles. I also agree that yammi is the way by far but i wanted to make sure you all agreed.
    have you tried canned air to clean out the pots/sliders? contact cleaner?

User Info Menu

I havent tried that. Maybe i will and then just loop the two mixers together and give myself a good 28 channels.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Save up and get a (used?) Yamaha LS9 16 or 32 Digital mixing console.

It has a usb port you can use to plug in a usb-stick to record the masters on (stereo).
    Furthermore, you'll have all the EQ's and effects built-in, no extra costs and no extra weight to carry.
    It IS an investment, but you'll be good for at least the next decade
    The LS9 is really worth it's price, the LS9-16 (16 moterised faders and 16 inputs, but expandable I/O- runs for around $5000, if you get the right deal.
    It might seem alot of money, but it is a REALLY versatile mixer, you can let people rent it from you and earn part of the investment back, ...

A local club here bought one recently, got a real good deal on the LS9-32, they got it brand new, including flightcase for less then €5000. ($7500).
    I already had the chance to work with it (they use it as a monitor mixing desk), and for the price, you can't get anything better.
    Last edited by Bafke; 12-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bafke View Post
    Save up and get a (used?) Yamaha LS9 16 or 32 Digital mixing console.

It has a usb port you can use to plug in a usb-stick to record the masters on (stereo).
    Furthermore, you'll have all the EQ's and effects built-in, no extra costs and no extra weight to carry.
    It IS an investment, but you'll be good for at least the next decade
    The LS9 is really worth it's price, the LS9-16 (16 moterised faders and 16 inputs, but expandable I/O- runs for around $5000, if you get the right deal.
    It might seem alot of money, but it is a REALLY versatile mixer, you can let people rent it from you and earn part of the investment back, ...

A local club here bought one recently, got a real good deal on the LS9-32, they got it brand new, including flightcase for less then €5000. ($7500).
    I already had the chance to work with it (they use it as a monitor mixing desk), and for the price, you can't get anything better.
    Ha! i wish man, but $5000 is not really an option for me. right now.
    -Steven