Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snare drum storage rack recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum storage rack recommendations?

I hate to start a new thread as my first post, but a search of the forums didn't turn up anything...

I've got 10 snare drums that I'd like to store on a rack (rather than in cases). I'd prefer to store them on their sides rather than resting on the hoops.

A bit of googling found a combination snare/cymbal rack that would have fit the bill, but the company doesn't make them anymore.

So, my question to the assembled percussion brain trust of Drum Chat is: How do you guys store your snare collection? Did you make a rack? Did you buy one? Did you use something not specifically a drum related product?

Thanks,
    Clark

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Snare drum storage rack recommendations?

Wal mart has really nice wood racks or shelves that work perfect. And best thing is wont cost you a lot

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd recommend making it yourself if you have the resources and tools. It wouldn't be that hard, and then you have a custom one that fits exactly what you want.
    All the Best,
    Tom

Drums:
    Ddrum Dominion Dorian 5-piece Kit
    24x18 kick
    13x9 mounted
    14x14 floor
    16x14 floor
    14x4.5 Ludwig Acrolite
    14x11 Custom Yamaha marching snare on floor tom legs

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that
    count. It's the life in your years. --Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

every drum i own,lives in its own case , they stay safe and clean.

ThePloughman Guest

I use one of these, purshased at Orchard Supply Hardware. Fully adjustable, and will accomodate drums standing on their sides, but I dont usually keep them that way. It would be a fairly easy thing to make a couple of cleats to give the drums more stability on their side. Curently I have 11 snare drums 3 shelves, as well as three sets, with the remaining 14 snare drums in two other cabinets.

User Info Menu

Humph, drummers with snare drum collections soooo big that they need an entire rack for them? How preposterous...

(must not be envious, must not be envious, must not be envious...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    every drum i own,lives in its own case , they stay safe and clean.
    Yeah, me too. The problem I have is when I want to try a different snare for a particular sound, invariably it's on the bottom of the stack of cases. Plus, if you try two or three snares that's two or three cases lying open. So, for my drum room, I want to keep them out of cases for easy access.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Wal mart has really nice wood racks or shelves that work perfect. And best thing is wont cost you a lot
    Any particular model? I looked on Walmart's site and the Joy Five Wood Shelf was the only one that looked promising...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I use one of these, purshased at Orchard Supply Hardware. Fully adjustable, and will accomodate drums standing on their sides, but I dont usually keep them that way. It would be a fairly easy thing to make a couple of cleats to give the drums more stability on their side. Curently I have 11 snare drums 3 shelves, as well as three sets, with the remaining 14 snare drums in two other cabinets.
    Thanks, I've been browsing Lowe's site (the Alabama equivalent of Orchard Supply) and I see a number of promising candidates. Looks like yours is metal frame with wood shelves?

ThePloughman Guest

It is metal. 18" deep, 6' long, 6'high, with particle board inserts for the shelving, I have mine covered with red felt.

User Info Menu

I've bought a furniture for books and used like this..

User Info Menu

Yea I used a bookshelf I got from Craigslist . Got it for ten bucks and it holds all my snare collection . Seems that I did see a shelf specifically made for snare drums on the M.F. website . It did look cool but they were asking a hundred bucks for it . Maybe you can look that up if you want to go that route .
    Good luck with your search .

User Info Menu

Proline makes racks for drums, specifically snare drums. Each rack can hold 6 drums comfortably. I have two of their racks, with space for just one more snare drum. Prices vary, but somewhere between $60 to $90 dollars. Shop around. Check your local shops. Check on-line. They are easy to assemble. I am not handy at all, but the rack came without instructions, and even I could put it together.

There's nothing like having an organized drum space. I keep the snares on the rack, and cover the racks with black bath towels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmastrodimos View Post
    Proline makes racks for drums, specifically snare drums. Each rack can hold 6 drums comfortably. I have two of their racks, with space for just one more snare drum. Prices vary, but somewhere between $60 to $90 dollars. Shop around. Check your local shops. Check on-line. They are easy to assemble. I am not handy at all, but the rack came without instructions, and even I could put it together.

There's nothing like having an organized drum space. I keep the snares on the rack, and cover the racks with black bath towels.
    unfortunately it's US's thing, they don't ship oversea- :(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    unfortunately it's US's thing, they don't ship oversea- :(
    ask someone nicely here in the states to buy one for you and ship it. You'd just have to pay them then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ask someone nicely here in the states to buy one for you and ship it. You'd just have to pay them then.
    I could do it- but i'd pay a lot of custom fees (forget the 'gift' mark, custom agents have learned the game)-also i'm ok with that bookshelf, it looks nicer in my studio.

User Info Menu

How about this little collection ?

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

^just noticing this picture post.

I like that he tagged them.
    I'm trying to debate right now how to make a new rack.
    I have the proline and it's filled and I need another one but I don't want to spend another $100 on one.
    I'd like to have one rack to fit all of my snares.. I know it's a lot but I'm brain storming

User Info Menu

In my mind, I'd make one out of PVC tubing and cover it with pipe insulation foam. Make it to your needed specifications now and expand later as needed. You could even incorporate it into your home plumbing so it couldn't be stolen.

@copyright pending.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

^haha nice.

I thought of PVC also.
    I think I'll make a trip out to Home Depot

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    In my mind, I'd make one out of PVC tubing and cover it with pipe insulation foam. Make it to your needed specifications now and expand later as needed. You could even incorporate it into your home plumbing so it couldn't be stolen.

@copyright pending.
    Bish, you crack me up!

User Info Menu

PVC is actually a very good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Bish, you crack me up!
    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post

I actually used PVC to design and build my first electronic drum kit rack. I used plywood cut into desired circle sizes to imitate the right sized drums and cymbals and glued roofing rubber to the tops to get as close to the feel of drum heads and stifle the sound of sticks hitting a wooden surface. I drilled oversized holes through the PVC at certain points and used PVC rubber connecting sleeves to bolt each disk to the rack at correct spacing. The rubber sleeves would isolate each disk otherwise when one disk was struck all the others would register each hit. At the time, Radio Shack had 1/2" round piezos that were caulked to the under side of each disk for the triggering and soldered to a 1/4" guitar cable jack to plug in the patch chords that ran to an Alesis D4 drum module to make the sounds. From the D4 outputs guitar cables were used to run sound to the mixer.

I wish I had pictures but that was back in the '90s.
    Last edited by Bish; 10-30-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^just noticing this picture post.
    I like that he tagged them.
    Spaz..................that photo was taken in late July in the snare room at Fork's Drum Closet, Nashville, TN.
    You can see about one-third of the snares for sale in that particular room in the photo.
    Fork's is not as big as the Chicago stores you showed us............also not as big as the Memphis Drum Shop.
    But he does keep a really nice inventory..............and he is the number one seller of Gretsch USA Customs in the world.
    I noticed he had 23 USA kits on display the day I was there. For Pearl, DW, Tama, Ludwig, etc., he displays less than half that number.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    +1, I've thought about building one out of PVC............currently using an old Ikea shelf.

I know MF had some racks for pretty cheap, under $100 IIRC