Thread: Roland CY-8

User Info Menu

Default Roland CY-8

I'm having some triggering issues with my Roland Cy-8 cymbals. I bought an older Td-6 and it has the stock cymbals on it. One of the cymbals when used as a crash with a dual zone cable plugged into it will mute itself as soon as you hit it but works fine with a single zone cable plugged into it or when used as the ride. The other works fine for a dual zone crash but ocassionally it wont trigger if you hit it on the edge to much. Is there a way to repair these or do I have to buy new cymbals in order to fix it?
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland CY-8

I have owned a few cy 8s one new and they all acted the same way...screwy triggering and the settings on the mod had to be maxed . I won't buy any more cy 8s the cy14/15s are great !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I have seen a lot of controversy on the CY8, if you really want to dig into that try visiting vdrums.com and doing a search. Basically my impression is that the CY 8 overall is less consistent than the more expensive CY14/15 etc and also much less expensive. Some of the yamaha cymbals get very high reviews, they are much cheaper than the CY 14/15 equivalents. But I don't know if they are compatible with your module, you'd need to investigate that. The newer CY8 are supposed to be more reliable and yes, there are some suggesions in the forum for how to repair issues with the older CY8 (has to do with rubber on bottom of the cymbal crumbling and carefully cleaning that out is supposed to create better transfer to the sensor).

Good luck either way. Before concluding the issue is the cymbal you should review the manual and make sure the TD6 brain is configured properly with CY8 as pad type, trigger, crosstalk and threshold settings are appropriate, etc. I'm not knowledgeable on that module (have TD9) but I do know that if the settings are off then usually the pads won't work properly.

You might also try a new cable that you know is good. If the cable is intermittent or not working well that could also cause triggering issues, sometimes cables wear internally near the connector if they have been bent over with too much pressure.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I tried the cables and thats not the problem. I looked further into it and the one that I have the most problems with has a big crack in it so that would explain it. I'll just deal with it til I can afford new ones.

I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I'm one of the people over at vdrums who has criticized the CY-8 endlessly for years.

Either it's a poor design or the build quality has been very uneven, I suspect the latter since I just recently played on one on a TD-9 kit at a GC of all places and it was actually good.

Still, get yourself a CY-12 or equally good and far cheaper, a Yamaha PCY-135.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm gonna look into some other options, the cheaper yamaha sounds nice. I gotta woit til I get some $$ though.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Hi. I'm thinkging of buying the Yamaha cymbals mentioned above to use with my roland TD-6 brain. Can you verify if they work with all the zones and are chokable?
    Thanks