Thread: Need some advice

User Info Menu

Default Need some advice

I just recently discovered this site and this is my first post.I started playing drums a year and a half ago and I am beginning to have issues with my right hand going numb which causes me to have difficulty holding the stick.Any advice on what I can due to eliminate the problem or at least better it.Appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need some advice

wow.. it goes numb?!
    Id seek medical advice mate, sounds like it could be a bit sinister.
    A build up of lactic acid in your hands can cause your muscles to "burn" and seem slightly painful the only course of action you need to take there is to strengthen the muscles in your hand.. By drumming more and more and more of course :P
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Hey mate,

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all. Medical advice would be a good idea, but some things to look out for are whether you are holding the stick too tight. Try warming up your hands before playing by stretching and getting the fingers working to loosen yourself up.

I hope that helps, if it doesn't work get a doctor to check it out and talk to a drummer in person (maybe a teacher) that can sit down and observe what you're doing and maybe pick up on something.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Robert!

Depending on what part of your hand is experiencing the numbness, it could be a Carpel Tunnel Syndrome where a nerve gets "pinched" in the wrist. If you shake your hands and the numbness eases, it would point toward the Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Definitely have that checked out.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice,
    I went to the doctors and found that I do have beginning of carpel tunnel.I just started playing a year and a half ago so I've played every day for at least a hour just trying to improve.It does'nt help that I work with my hands all day at work also.I think I need to stop playing every day just to give my hands a break but it bums me out cause there is nothing I enjoy more than sitting behind my kit.

User Info Menu

You're gripping the stick to hard.

User Info Menu

I highly recommend finding a reputable chiropractor. I've learned that many cases of carpal tunnell are misdiagnosed. Misalignment of the small bones in the wrist can be the cause of numbness in the hands. This is an easy fix for a chiropractor. Do some research and find one that has experience with musicians or sports injury.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Well said JBR, and welcome to Drum Chat! BTW, the diagnosis is the same, but the "fix" is different.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBR View Post
    I highly recommend finding a reputable chiropractor. I've learned that many cases of carpal tunnell are misdiagnosed. Misalignment of the small bones in the wrist can be the cause of numbness in the hands. This is an easy fix for a chiropractor. Do some research and find one that has experience with musicians or sports injury.

Hope this helps.
    I agree surgery is not the answer for everything. I was able to ease the carpel tunnel by seeing my chiropractor and sleeping with the wrist supports.

QWelcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by robert alderman View Post
    Thanks for the advice,
    I went to the doctors and found that I do have beginning of carpel tunnel.I just started playing a year and a half ago so I've played every day for at least a hour just trying to improve.It does'nt help that I work with my hands all day at work also.I think I need to stop playing every day just to give my hands a break but it bums me out cause there is nothing I enjoy more than sitting behind my kit.
    I use hand tools a lot myself and have changed over to a cordless drill instead of using the screw drivewr or sockets.

Also welcome to the board and congrats on getting those drums.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You're gripping the stick to hard.
    I like how everyone ignored this? Pretty sure you're right northern redneck.

User Info Menu

I think redneck was right also. I took a break for a week and starting holding the sticks a little more loosely. I also took some advice and started playing with more of a thumb down angle. Before I was playing a thumbnail up (hopefully this makes sense). It seems like this is a more natural way for my wrist. I've never had lessons so I'm finding out here and there some things I'm doing wrong but thats what learning is all about I guese. Thanks again for all the advice.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Need some advice

,,,,,,Carress the stick,guide da stick,
    check out da Moeller method......

( RIP JIM CHAPIN.......you will never be fogotten my Phriend)
    I owe regaining my 35 yr drum career(BECAUSE OF HAND PROBLEMS) to Roy Burns,Jim Chapin
    and Dom Famularo....Tis da most important thing for you to check out)
    yer hands will thank you for it...the rest of yer life...

I do believe it would not hurt abit to spend a little less time behind yer drums ...it takes a long time to recover from a hand or foot injury

there is no reason to take a chance that couyld cost you a lifetime
    of pain from losing yer true pleasure & passion(drumming)

plz consider yer options wisely....

Let us know how it goes....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robert alderman View Post
    I think redneck was right also. I took a break for a week and starting holding the sticks a little more loosely. I also took some advice and started playing with more of a thumb down angle. Before I was playing a thumbnail up (hopefully this makes sense). It seems like this is a more natural way for my wrist. I've never had lessons so I'm finding out here and there some things I'm doing wrong but thats what learning is all about I guese. Thanks again for all the advice.
    You're just talking about french vs. american style grip. You can play loosely either way. Just pick the one you're most comfortable with.

User Info Menu

+1 on the gripping too hard. Relax and keep it loose. Lightly hold the stick with your index, middle finger and thumb and articulate it using your ring finger and pinky. It takes a lot of practice, but it will give you mountains more control and speed. Not to mention being able to feel your hands after an hour.

User Info Menu

try streching your fingers and thumb before playing or re examin how you hold your sticks

User Info Menu

try using drumming gloves for awhile to reduce shock absorption to your hands. it may sound unorthodox but right now you're trying to protect your hands as best you can. also try taking more breaks, i'd say every 10-15 minutes because of the condition you're in.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

lots of good advice here. Good luck
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

I used to get cramp in my right hand, which I've since discovered was a combination of too tight a grip and thin sticks (which caused me to grip tighter). I now use Pro mark Oak 5B's and have no problems
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks