Thread: Well, I Did It!

User Info Menu

Default Well, I Did It!

This isn't really a question, but I didn't know where else to post this. A while back I was asking for advice for a beginning drummer, about how to proceed next. As a middle aged mom, I have no desire to read music or make a career of this, I just really wanna play drums. All of you were very encouraging & welcoming, but I was repeatedly pointed towards lessons. All I knew was the local chain shops, but they just didn't have the right "vibe" for me. Poking around online, I found a one-off shop in town that I had forgotten existed. Their website made them look like the place I was seeking, & the next day I sent an e-mail to inquire about lessons. So I just wanted everyone who helped me to know that I took my first lesson tonight & I think I found the right place. I will keep you posted as I progress! Woo hoo!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Well, I Did It!

Congratulations Nomad!

Make sure you communicate to your teacher what you want from your lessons. If reading isn't your thing, let the teacher know. You'll probably still be exposed to it, but if you aren't interested right now, then there is no need to have a teacher wasting their time trying to teacher it to you. Keep us up to date on how it's going. We love to hear about beginners progressing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Great to hear Nomad! Lessons are fantastic for any level of playing, there's always something new that someone else can bring to your playing. I've been playing for 15+ years and still love taking lessons, there's been times that I had 2 or 3 teachers at a time even. The great thing about drumming is the knowledge is endless, there is sooo much to learn!

A very good friend of mine, who is the mom of my childhood best friend, got into drumming a few years ago. She got a good teacher and stuck with it, and now she is playing in a rockin Texas blues band. She plays gigs all the time and has recorded a full album. She continues to take lessons weekly and her progression really shows. So stick with it and have fun, the more you learn the more you will get sucked into this addictive hobby that we share .

User Info Menu

Awesome, Nomad ! Sounds like you're on your way. Pretty soon you'll be starting up your own band and giggin' around town. Rock on !

User Info Menu

Gratz Nomad! enjoy your first lesson and just be open minded about learning to read music, trust me you'll be glad you did. it's nice to be able to just pull up a sheet of drum notation and jump on the kit and throw down.

keep us posted

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Great, I hope it all turns out as you expect!

User Info Menu

you're off to a great start, reading music will open up many doors for you later on and it will help you decipher a great number of dvd's out there as well. you can do it, and good luck.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments